Naked Narrowboating

The Anonymous Bard

Featured Posts

I was trawling through Flickr this morning when I came across full view of meat and two veg whilst using the search tag "narrowboat".

I've actually seen this guy before whilst performing similar searches and it would appear that he is a naturist boater who has no inhibition about travelling along whilst standing at the tiller in nothing other than his birthday suit.

Can't say that I am really bothered one way or the other and maybe the guy has a perfect right to do it (?), I just find it a bit odd but wondered if anyone had encountered him or anything similar on their travels?

I will refrain from posting the link unless expressly requested (by a proportionate number of males to females). ;)

P1040027.jpg

I did see this person as I was heading to the bottom of Stoke Bruerne flight, he did have a towel with him to cover his 'delicate' area as I passed. The gentleman I was with said, with no sense of irony, 'I dont know why he is bothered about such a little thing'.

Maybe he has taken up rambling?

I've actually seen this guy before whilst performing similar searches and it would appear that he is a naturist boater who has no inhibition about travelling along whilst standing at the tiller in nothing other than his birthday suit.

I think this is completely unacceptable in the narrow boating world......

Whilst I am not concerned from the "neck down", I do not think anybody should be at the tiller without at least the traditional Bowler and red neckerchief. It really lets the side down.

Whilst I am not concerned from the "neck down", I do not think anybody should be at the tiller without at least the traditional Bowler and red neckerchief. It really lets the side down.

:D

Would I be accused of being prudish if I suggested a waistcoat to go with that?

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

While cycling along the K&A back to our boat we came across 2 ladies one was bathing in the canal with a bar of soap and her freind was drinking a cup of tea in the all together on the front of the boat. I wished them good morning and cycled on.

I came out of the shower once on Warrior while we were in the Blisworth tunnel and just went and stood in the front hatches. The air felt lovely and soft, cool but not chilly, velvety... For the first time I could understand why naturists do what they do. We do get terribly hung up about bodies, and it's so deeply ingrained - but almost totally arbitrary - what can be shown and what must be covered up varies so much between different cultures. I don't have the nerve to do it myself but I certainly don't find nudity offensive; explicitly sexual ways of dressing are far more disturbing/threatening.

• Greenie 3

Can't say that I am really bothered one way or the other and maybe the guy has a perfect right to do it (?)

Well, no he doesn't, as The Naked Rambler Stephen Gough (possibly pictured in an earlier post) has found to his cost. He has been arrested numerous times, with several jail sentences, especially in Scotland, where the Law is perhaps more puritanical. The charges were various, including Breach of the Peace and Contempt of Court (when he appeared naked before the judge). Last arrested in August this year. As you can guess, he's a bit of a campaigner, citing the Human Rights Act to support his right to go au naturel.

Can't say I would have a problem with it personally, though if we had the kids onboard....that would be a bit of a different matter for them. I often think it is such a pity we have this inbuilt shame of nudity, on a warm day, it's a lovely feeling of freedom if you are in private somewhere outside. But society rules against it, so I say...go for it if you want to, but be aware of others nearby who may not have the same thoughts!

Can't say I would have a problem with it personally, though if we had the kids onboard....that would be a bit of a different matter for them. I often think it is such a pity we have this inbuilt shame of nudity, on a warm day, it's a lovely feeling of freedom if you are in private somewhere outside. But society rules against it, so I say...go for it if you want to, but be aware of others nearby who may not have the same thoughts!

I agree it could be embarrassing if the kids were to point and giggle - I suppose it's just a case of how well brought up they are.

Guest wanted

rtsp://v5.cache1.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQla70oLPYxhbBMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYLf-86CXpIfCTgw=/0/0/0/video.3gp;connectionuid=WAP2%20trans

Edited by wanted

rtsp://v5.cache1.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQla70oLPYxhbBMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBXdhdGNoYLf-86CXpIfCTgw=/0/0/0/video.3gp;connectionuid=WAP2%20trans

:huh:

Could not have put it better myself...

While cycling along the K&A back to our boat we came across 2 ladies one was bathing in the canal with a bar of soap and her freind was drinking a cup of tea in the all together on the front of the boat. I wished them good morning and cycled on.

I'm not sure I would bathe in the canal - soap or no soap. I was very ill after a canoeing session in the GU near Tring many year ago, only fell in a few times :unsure:

Guest wanted

:huh:

Could not have put it better myself...

Smart phone my arse, i'll try again in a minute (of course the impact and comedy timing have all but vanished now. Humph!) :)

Indeed, bathing in the canal sounds like a vile idea!

I don't know why people get so hung up about nudity, it's a very Victorian view. It's just a body!

But then from a completely opposite angle, there's a fine line between personal nudity, and exhibitionism.

I tend to feel that in UK culture where being dressed in public is generally considered to be the way to go, people going about nude in any place where there is a reasonable expectation of them coming across other people in public are possibly more exhibitionistic than naturalistic.

• Greenie 1

Guest wanted

Indeed, bathing in the canal sounds like a vile idea!

I don't know why people get so hung up about nudity, it's a very Victorian view. It's just a body!

But then from a completely opposite angle, there's a fine line between personal nudity, and exhibitionism.

I tend to feel that in UK culture where being dressed in public is generally considered to be the way to go, people going about nude in any place where there is a reasonable expectation of them coming across other people in public are possibly more exhibitionistic than naturalistic.

Its a bit chicken and egg I think. If we weren't so hung up about the naked form then our kids would grow up with less hang ups and so on. Personally I would challenge the mind that constantly confuses nudity with sex.

Edited by wanted
  • Greenie 1

Quite so wanted, nudity is an absence of fabric, sex on the other hand is ...... possible if your partner doesn't have a headache. Hugely funny if several kittens climb onto the man and peer cutely over his shoulders. A case of not in front of the children maybe

Last turkey in the shop?

Edited by madcat

I did think Matthew Corbett looked a little under-dressed!

Snapshot2011-10-0814-33-20.jpg

Clicky

I once tried naked cooking, since I thought that was what the TV programme "The Naked Chef" was about. However I have to say I only did it once. The pain after deep frying damp chips and bacon was too much. I later actually watched one of his programmes and realised that I had misinterpreted the title.

Edited by jelunga