Fake ltd company sign writing

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Henhouse, would you care to explain that?

Though I wouldn't want to put one of those carrying company names on my boat, I can see no harm in the practice. If you've paid many thousands of pounds for a narrowboat you're entitled to indulge your fantasies a little - or, put another way, you have the right to put what you blooming well like on the boat's name panel as long as it doesn't offend other people. The OP does state that he's "living the dream"; such made-up names are part of someone living their dream.

Mike

c/o Trojan Carrying Company.

Though I wouldn't want to put one of those carrying company names on my boat, I can see no harm in the practice. If you've paid many thousands of pounds for a narrowboat you're entitled to indulge your fantasies a little - or, put another way, you have the right to put what you blooming well like on the boat's name panel as long as it doesn't offend other people. The OP does state that he's "living the dream"; such made-up names are part of someone living their dream.

Mike

c/o Trojan Carrying Company.

If you google it it appears Henhouse has run out of beer tokens :cheers:

YCHJCYAFFC <_<

Well, I found that WYBM etc. on the internet, but Offcumden's sequence of letters appears to be total tripe (from Todmorden?) It appears to be somEone's forum name on the Face Book forum. Anyone got the afintest idea what he's talking about?

Well, I found that WYBM etc. on the internet, but Offcumden's sequence of letters appears to be total tripe (from Todmorden?) It appears to be somEone's forum name on the Face Book forum. Anyone got the afintest idea what he's talking about?

Wrong I got caught out with it in a pub on the L&L :cheers:

I get

You can’t have change john cos your anti foul’s flipping chipped

I think that's often done when the boatbuilder also does the signwriting, or has it done. For example Steve Hudson boats, built at Glascote Basin in Tamworth, often say "registered at Glascote" followed by their number. Other builders use their location as the "home port" part of the signwriting: some KG boats claim to live at Enslow Wharf, and I have seen quite a few hailing from "Lord Vernon's Wharf" though I am not sure which builder is based there, or indeed where it is.

Come to think of it, some KG boats really do live at Enslow Wharf as the company has extensive moorings there.

what is it with people sign writing fictional ltd company names on their boats, or implying they are canal carriers or tugs, it just makes waterway buisneses look a joke, and the owners look like posh twits.

STOP IT

So the boats with 'genuine' carrying names as opposed to 'fictional' names are somehow more traditional? Even though the front 60 ft is packed with televisions, microwaves, washing machines etc? You really must get out more :)

I have seen quite a few hailing from "Lord Vernon's Wharf" though I am not sure which builder is based there, or indeed where it is.

Come to think of it, some KG boats really do live at Enslow Wharf as the company has extensive moorings there.

Its Braidbar on the Macclesfield at Higher Poynton

Having a carrying co. logo on my boat is not to my taste, but each to their own. We are still just about free enough to do such things, and providing we are not directly harming others, we can choose to do this should we wish.

Under the terms and conditions I am unable to do so unless you indulge me ! :cheers:

As others have said, if it's your boat you should be able to paint whatever you like on it. ( Provided it is not offensive).

I intend to livery mine in remembrance of my ancestors who were carriers on the Rochdale and L&L 200 years ago. Kilnhusrt Wharf, Todmorden.

Reproducing replica sign writing for companies such as "T&S Element", Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd", Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd" should be discouraged on brand new boats. All the above have appeared on new boats and this only serves to confuse newer enthusiasts into thinking they are the genuine article. I guess the only exception could be if one had a family link with the firms stated which in most cases is unlikely. FMC Ltd exists today as a privately owned company who I doubt would be impressed with the name being on new boats it doesnt own.

Having a carrying co. logo on my boat is not to my taste, but each to their own. We are still just about free enough to do such things, and providing we are not directly harming others, we can choose to do this should we wish.

I agree, I am not a devotee of fake modern back cabins but I can see that other really like them. Each to their own - our boats are as individual as we are - far better than the standardisation we see in cars.

I wonder, Laurence, what the present-day FMC thinks of the canalside pub in Nottingham which is called 'Fellows Morton & Clayton'? Perhaps the brewery sought their permission to use the name?

Apparently Chance & Hunt, the Black country carriers on whose livery the colour scheme of my boat is based, still exist too. Then of course there's Pickford's who started off as canal carriers. Do any more of those old carrying companies still excist?