What's the catch!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I had noticed it doesn't state whether it's steel or what it's made of.

Not too worried about it being totally fitted out. With what we have to spend something's got to give-although I don't really want to go GRP! It does say it's been completely overplated-do you think that just mean the bottom?

Thanks for the info on the tank.

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but you guys really seem to know your stuff and I'd really like to pick your brains...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Thank you!

From the photo`s it looks very like a SUC boat from late 60`s early 70`s that has had the GRP cabin removed & replaced with a totally different shaped one [wood/steel?] the Lister SR3 would tie in to that too

hmmm hard to see where the catch cant be. there must be one

having bought a boat recently for under 5K

i knew it had a survey 6 months old that recommended no replating done but showed some pitting.

lots of other work and rotten interior and roof as it was wood.

owner could not afford cost of refit so sold through yard he took it too for quotes etc.

but i have future budget to put things right etc so went into it with eyes open.

if your stretching the budget envelope dont do it as u can get issues cropping up with any boat, need a safety net in my opinion

Edited by lexicon

Carlt, are you thinking of £800 for a survey? I thought they were around £400- £500?

The last survey I had done (on a Dawncraft) was £500, over 15 years ago (though it was one of the most thorough surveys I have ever read).

I just assumed surveyors' fees had risen, along with everything else.

The last survey I had done (on a Dawncraft) was £500, over 15 years ago (though it was one of the most thorough surveys I have ever read).

350 for Singapore, plus getting her out. Maybe it's got more competitive?

a tad steep Carl surely.. :unsure:

a tad steep Carl surely.. :unsure:

Probably but, as I said, it is the most comprehensive, thorough and well written survey I have ever seen and have always recommended him, despite the cost.

Edited to add: The price included the lift, too.

Edited by carlt

What do we think of this..?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANAL-CRUISER-27FT-GRP-BUCKINGHAM-READY-GO-REFIT-/250895652959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a6a8bd85f

Trying not to go a bit do-lally and think it's 'a sign' as it's called 'Matilda' which is the name of my Leading Sea Cat...

I've been meaning to say this a few times, this time I have a minute to do it

Go and see it, go and see lots of boats, you'll get every flavour of opinion on here, how can anyone know what will suit you? Or from a dodgy picture whether it's any good?

Go and see it.

(if you want a different opinion just ask, I have many)

• Greenie 1

I'm going to repeat myself, and also repeat what Chris says. Stop window shopping and go and see some boats. Feel how they move, marvel at the fitout, be horrified by the engine hole. Go experience some real boats in their real environment.

Browsing Ebay isn't the same thing

Richard

Yes, I understand. I guess I'm bored with "Oooh, what do you think of this one?"

I could never have predicted the boat that you bought Bazza, so how could I have constructively commented on it from an Ebay ad?

The truth is, no matter how we puff up or rubbish any particular ad on Ebay, there is no way of knowing without going and looking. As Chris said, how can we make a subjective judgement for someone else?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

The truth is, no matter how we puff up or rubbish any particular ad on Ebay, there is no way of knowing without going and looking. As Chris said, how can we make a subjective judgement for someone else?

And most e-Bay ads for canal boats are some of the worst around, often with hopeless pictures, (I suspect sometimes deliberately so!....)

Apollo Duck ones can be a bit better, but not always.

I can comment on some of the obvious pitfalls or anomalies in some of the ads linked to, but the chances are that many of these boats seen in the flesh you would walk straight away from. (An e-bay ad will not tell you, for example, if the entire thing stinks of mould or rot, or both, the moment a cabin door is opened).

It is absolutely correct that the most any of us may be able to say from any of these ads is that certain things look wrong or worrying. It is certainly possible for an unscrupulous vendor to dress up dross, and describe it well, so an add gives no idea as to how bad something might really be.

.........Or, (trying to be more positive!), someone may be hopeless at photography, or writing a description, but may have a gem of a boat that you are able to pick up very cheaply, because nobody else has actually bothered to go and take a look......

If you are serious - go look at some boats.

I'm going to repeat this too... At the end of the month I am going to Nantwich/ Middlewich to go around the boat yards there. I cannot get away before then!

I don't think it's unreasonable to be window shopping in the meantime, and I would want to know a lot about a boat before I'd make as trip of several hours each way to go and see just one specific one in a different area.

I have asked about specific boats I have seen online here and it has done me good, as people with more knowledge than me have been able to quickly point out things I have missed/ not realised and ergo saved me the possible trip or trouble. But don't ever concern yourself that I would make a purchase based on the opinion of people on a forum or that I would take anyone's post as gospel... I'm actually not as dumb as I look.

I asked for people's personal opinions, not their subjective judgement as was mentioned, based on the info available to them. All I ask is a quick glance if you have the time to see if anything glaringly obvious stands out as a flaw that I, with less experience, have missed.

I'm not asking you to shoulder the weight of my desicion!

If my thread is doing your head in, then stop reading it!

I really appreciate the opinions and help that people have given me so far both here and in chat, but if it's starting to wear a bit thin on you now, just move on from it.

Disclaimer- I have the man flu so may be more irritable than normal.

Edited by Starcoaster

It might just be me but I often wonder why someone who is selling something at £10k plus can't be bothered to take reasonable photos that show the whole boat.... some are really poor - or perhaps they just don't know how to use digital cameras or adverts on the 'net.

I'm looking at nb's around £15k but at the moment just to get an idea of whats around. Lots of good info from this thread and others on the forum. I can see a visit to Wilton Marina or similar in the coming months as well as popping down to pick up a copy of Tow Path when Octobers hits the streets.

Agreed! I have just heard of Towpath Talk and have ordered the current and next issue.

Also Wilton Marina has been mentioned to me as a good place to look at GRP boats.

Regarding the picture issue, a classic example of that is this one on Gumtree (particularly as you get more pictures allowed on Gumtree) -

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/26ft-springer-canal-boat-for-sale/86552407

Honestly, how much use are any of those shots!

Hi Starcoaster,

Wow What a lot of reading this thread has, id just like to say dont give up your dream, I too have been through the mill a dreaming (gongoozler ) lol, 8 years nof learning dreaming and wishing, but its not been wasted as last week i finally purchased a boat, like you financially the goal seemed not possible but the desire still grew. My Advice is to search towpath trader carefully, contact bw , every region and enquire about section 8 craft, troll apollo duck, and boats n outboards, learn all you can. And believe in yourself from all that you head from advice given, and take that step. Viewing as many boats as possible is a great learning curve, but view them thouroughly, lift things up poke things about, stay focused on the lower priced boats, and eventually, you will find afeel to whats achieavable. I wish you very good luck. Just keep the faith :) happy huntings kind regards Martin

That badly-photographed 26 ft Springer would be worth e look, SC. They have a surprising amount of space inside (helped by the fact that there is no front well-deck so a few feet of space is saved), most have a shower although fit-outs vary.

Right SC, here's one where you can put into practice all that stuff I was saying about how to buy high value ebay items, but buying off ebay before the auction ends!

This looks like a reasonably savvy and realistic seller as they have already had it docked, surveyed and blacked with new anodes. 30ft springer, 1988, currently at £3,600. and I reckon they just 'might' take your £7k for it. Go and make friends with them and see if you can do youself a deal!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180728206327&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Got anyone you can take with you?

Mike

Edited by Mike the Boilerman