What's the catch!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

It's out of the water, so thats a plus...

I keep looking at this, http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=196829 I know I was told a firm 'no' here lol, but the guy has now added prices to the listing to do some of the work needed... Still no?

Ooh! This one was previously up at 10k and is now at 4k! Needs plumbing and an outboard...

Thoughts? http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=199607

What kind of outboard would I need, and how hard/pricey would plumbing be..?

the butty/outbord springer sounds worth a look

the hull only springer would be expensive to convert to a suitable floating residence.

the enfield diesel is a noisy and rough engine,i have only come across them in sea cadet launches.

I'm not looking to cruise much to be honest, just enough to keep the boat going. I am looking to be based on a mooring mainly... With it being an outboard though would it be enough to run the internals of the boat when not connected to shore power?

the power output from an outboard would be modest,about one tenth of the capacity of most inboard diesel set-ups

a couple of led lights and a domestic water pump would be practical,but not much more.

or,you could moor DEAN S,he would be happy to let you plug into his generator,so i hear,it is running most of the time he is moored up!

Lovely, thanks for that... Do you mean 1k including the components and tank (assuming I shopped around lol) or on top of that.

Awww this is a sweet little boat but it's just so tiny I don't know if I could manage on it... just 5 feet more to make a 25' boat seems like a massive difference...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230674242219?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

i think a K should cover materials and laybour,IF tha right person is doing the job.

that springer 20' may be a bit on the small side,there is a fine line between cosy and claustrophobic.

talking of tuppy cruisers,a thought occured,if you did buy one like the unfinished dawncraft it would make sense to insulate it well,the main drawback of most small plastic boats is poor heat retention.

like most people,i dont think a boat can be a cosy home unless it has a solid fuel stove,ask smelly!

You are in this case wrong.

I may be wrong about the construction methods but the lid he's put on is truly awful and I still wouldn't pay 99p for it.

that springer 20' may be a bit on the small side,there is a fine line between cosy and claustrophobic.

A 20 foot narrowboat, because of its box shape is actually more roomy and habitable than a, say, Dawncraft 27.

Carlt, really? would it be viable then do you think? It just seems so small!

Having lived in a backcabin, for a short while, I'm probably not the best judge but, when I lived on the Dawncraft 27 I was amazed at the extra space my mate had, in his 20' Waterbug.

Vertical walls meant he had a wardrobe and draws, whereas I had lockers under the benches.

Boat shaped boats are nicer to go boating in but the narrowboat box shape enables you to have more conventional living arrangements.

Wow now I am confused! I must say I never thought of that. The internal pics of the small narrows just look much smaller.

But it is a very nice looking little boat...

You are soon going to have to go and look at some real boats. Internet shopping just doesn't give the feel of them.

Go browse a brokers, even look at boats you can't afford - it's a great way to crystallise your ideas

Richard

Wow now I am confused! I must say I never thought of that. The internal pics of the small narrows just look much smaller.

But it is a very nice looking little boat...

A Dawncraft 27 has (approx) 10' of aft cockpit, 5' of front deck leaving 12' of interior living space.

A 20' Springer Waterbug has about 2' of front deck and 3' of rear deck space, leaving about 15' of living space.

That 3' and vertical cabin sides makes a lot of difference though the Aft cockpit of the Dawncraft is a nice summer cruising space.

Ooh! This one was previously up at 10k and is now at 4k! Needs plumbing and an outboard...

Thoughts? http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=199607

What kind of outboard would I need, and how hard/pricey would plumbing be..?

This one is worth a look at. It will already have had an inboard engine before(more than likely anyway) so something like this may be a good idea to fit.

http://engines.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=215592 or this

http://engines.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=213496

What do we think of this?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/nautilus-27ft-cabin-cruiser/88168404

Owner says hull and engine are good (I would get survey obv.)

Try to ignore nasty gray internal paint!

(Ps, is it meant to be called a nautilus or is it actually nauticus?)

EDIT- Ignore this post. Seller won't cooperate in me getting a survey!

Edited by Starcoaster

What do we think of this?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/nautilus-27ft-cabin-cruiser/88168404

Owner says hull and engine are good (I would get survey obv.)

Try to ignore nasty gray internal paint!

(Ps, is it meant to be called a nautilus or is it actually nauticus?)

Have you seen this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260857240377

Mike

Q: can the boat be left at its mooring if so how much is it and how much certificate is left on it many thanks 19-Sep-11

A: it is currently on a public free mooring there are a number of them in that area we just move it a few 100 meters every 2 weeks been doing this for a year now and had no problems

Hmmm :glare:

Richard

probably because there are alot of folk who'd buy it without.

£800 or so is a large proportion of £3k but a tiny proportion of £50k.

I'd ask him if I could slip it, to make a visual check for osmosis blisters and get someone who knows more about boats to have a good look.

Q: can the boat be left at its mooring if so how much is it and how much certificate is left on it many thanks 19-Sep-11

A: it is currently on a public free mooring there are a number of them in that area we just move it a few 100 meters every 2 weeks been doing this for a year now and had no problems

Indeed. As we know, he's probably fibbing and under significant pressure from BW to get a paid-for mooring.

NEEDS to sell in a hurry I reckon. And best way to buy it is to visit, make friends with, and generally get under the skin of the vendor, and get him to sell to you, now, and take the advert down before the end of the auction. Experienced ebayers will know the difficulty in getting high value sales to actually complete.

Auction winners tend to turn up to view their 'purchase' after winning with the attitude of 'ok now let's see what it's really worth, and I'll make yo an offer'. Naturally this gets right up the nose of vendors who then re-list it with comments like "re-listed due to time-waster". I'm sure you seen that often enough! Stress the likelihood of this to the vendor and how serious YOU are as a buyer, not a flaky ebay bidder who has bid £Xk having never seen it.

In addition, an unethical activity peeps engage in is registering a new ebay username and using it to win the auction but fail to complete. This creates delay and gets the item off the market while the vendor opens an ebay dispute etc. Then the buyer approaches using their real ebay unsername and asks the seller actually sold it, and if not could they come and have a look.... V sneaky, so explain this potential sequence of events to the seller....

Probably a

engine.... Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but you guys really seem to know your stuff and I'd really like to pick your brains...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Thank you!

Sorry, but I love this stuff!......

She is a great live-aboard, well situated in the london and amidst the blossoming London boating scene.

coupled with

The boat does not have a mooring associated with it.

It would only take a few days boating for either of my boats to be "well situated in London", but if I were to take them there, they wouldn't have a mooring that permitted me to live on them there either!

Good salesmanship though, (sort of!).

Seriously though.......

It doesn't exactly look very fully fitted out, (or even very completed), does it ?

Pictures are poor, but it looks like it probably doesn't have a steel cabin on ? I'm kind of guessing the top may be in GRP, or similar ?

Hard to imagine all details are spot on. A 120 gallon fuel tank, for example would be fairly massive in a boat like this - seems unlikely ?

I've been looking at that ebay nb, at 4k yesterday already outside of my budget! Will keep watching though in case things pan out as mentioned.

The seller of the 'nautilus' reckons the nearest place the boat could come out of the water is two days cruise away and he's neither willing to pilot it there nor have me do so prior to sale, so it can't come out for a check.

Carlt, are you thinking of £800 for a survey? I thought they were around £400- £500?