What's the catch!

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Agreed! I have just heard of Towpath Talk and have ordered the current and next issue.

Also Wilton Marina has been mentioned to me as a good place to look at GRP boats.

Regarding the picture issue, a classic example of that is this one on Gumtree (particularly as you get more pictures allowed on Gumtree) -

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/26ft-springer-canal-boat-for-sale/86552407

Honestly, how much use are any of those shots!

Wilton Marina is an excellent place to look at all sorts of boats because they tend to just leave you to get on with it, and they have a wide range of different boats.

Looks like a contender, interior lacks excitement but you could work on thet!

I wonder why a boat with no front well-deck would have a cratch?

Strange - but with a cover on it it would provide a degree of storage I guess...

Right SC, here's one where you can put into practice all that stuff I was saying about how to buy high value ebay items, but buying off ebay before the auction ends!

This looks like a reasonably savvy and realistic seller as they have already had it docked, surveyed and blacked with new anodes. 30ft springer, 1988, currently at £3,600. and I reckon they just 'might' take your £7k for it. Go and make friends with them and see if you can do youself a deal!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180728206327&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Got anyone you can take with you?

Mike

Yes,

From what I can see, I agree with Mike.

Looks a good prospect, and you might persuade them to part with it within your budget.

Lots of plus points I'd say.

For example new Boat Safety, and things like new cookers don't come particularly cheap.

BMC is a well tried motor, that plenty of people can work on, and spares generally available - much better prospect than what you'll find in some cheap Springers.

It even seems to have a reasonable cover for the back to keep the water out of the engine space.

Definitely worth a look, I'd say.

Agreed - definite contender from just looking at the Ebay ad. I agree about the cratch board, that should go straight away and restore the 'proper' moustachioed look :)

Tony

Looks like it has an instant water heater.

I'm going to repeat this too... At the end of the month I am going to Nantwich/ Middlewich to go around the boat yards there. I cannot get away before then!

I don't think it's unreasonable to be window shopping in the meantime, and I would want to know a lot about a boat before I'd make as trip of several hours each way to go and see just one specific one in a different area.

I have asked about specific boats I have seen online here and it has done me good, as people with more knowledge than me have been able to quickly point out things I have missed/ not realised and ergo saved me the possible trip or trouble. But don't ever concern yourself that I would make a purchase based on the opinion of people on a forum or that I would take anyone's post as gospel... I'm actually not as dumb as I look.

I asked for people's personal opinions, not their subjective judgement as was mentioned, based on the info available to them. All I ask is a quick glance if you have the time to see if anything glaringly obvious stands out as a flaw that I, with less experience, have missed.

I'm not asking you to shoulder the weight of my desicion!

If my thread is doing your head in, then stop reading it!

I really appreciate the opinions and help that people have given me so far both here and in chat, but if it's starting to wear a bit thin on you now, just move on from it.

Disclaimer- I have the man flu so may be more irritable than normal.

Well said.

The discussion has, so far as I can see, provided the novice boat buyer with a whole load of information to inform buying decisions.

You could have said "what should I look for", but putting up a few examples has allowed a much more productive exploration of what you will be looking for.

Agreed - definite contender from just looking at the Ebay ad. I agree about the cratch board, that should go straight away and restore the 'proper' moustachioed look :)

Tony

Looks like it has an instant water heater.

we british restore canals,locomotives,and encourage bell ringing as well as morris dancing.

worever's comment mat just be "heralding the dawn" of a new but essential reverence for a bygone boat manufacturer.

are we witnessing the AGE of THE SPRINGER PURIST?

Well Starcoaster and CarlT have not posted all day - could it be she has taken him up on his offer to have a skeggy at it and are doing so today.

It does seem to be on the face of it a decent little boat so it may sell quickly if somebody pitches in with a decent BIN price.

I know it's not a BIN auction but the sight and smell of cold hard cash may persuade the seller to take the auction down.

The first of the Springers on Boatwrecks, the 30 footer, looks as if it would offer about as much accommodation as posible thanks to its "bay window".

A word about this site though: the 28 foot GRP 'Suzy Leigh' with extensive fire danage is just down the road from me in Upwell. (It belongs to a local businessman who is not universally popular, but the fire may be coincidental). But it was removed at least three months ago, probably longer. So perhaps the site is not kept up to date.

No I'm packing for our expedition to the far North.

Ahh..

I do think SC would be a fool to let that little boat go though without at lest having a look at it.

where you headed up North?

Yorkshire for a family gathering then Beamish Museum with the out-laws then across to Cumbria to prepare for the invasion of Lancashire (oops I may have said too much).

Don't know if you have been before but pretty sure you will enjoy Beamish, as for the family gathering bit well....

I'm here, I'm here! I have been working all day.

I emailed the gumtree guy with the 26ft springer but he has not got back to me.

As the ad is a month old, I presume it has gone or is no longer for sale.

I have mailed the guy on ebay with the Springer.

Also yes, I had to order Towpath Talk as I do not currently live within striking distance of anywhere that keeps it- Also the online version does not show all of the classifieds.

I have also, as was advised of me, placed an advert for the next issue in the 'boats wanted' bit.

I think that covers it all, lol! This thread has grown a lot since last night so I may have to check back later to be sure!

Many thanks again all who have posted.

I think that covers it all, lol! This thread has grown a lot since last night so I may have to check back later to be sure!

Surprised you have not taken Carl up on his offer but hey ho your call..