Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

One thing not mentioned is that price of electric (or lack of!!) will be 28p per unit. 12p more than most other marinas!!

Wow, this is heavy stuff now.

BTW I was 'lucky' enough (cough cough) to ONLY be charged at the 2010 rate for the mooring.

Other items and money making schemes that are surfacing are:

Yes you can have a shed but he has to supply and fit it.

Yes you can have a pathway, across the mud flats so you don't sink and starve before being found, but they have to construct it and they will give you a price to do so.

Also

Yes you will have 24 hour electric by Xmas - note no year!!

Yes you will have LAN by November - note no year!

Last guess at the amount of moorers there would be 30. Island can't be habited because its too dangerous to get close, missing the steel mines of the war zone.

So hope I can pm and will have a break before getting in touch. My blood pressure is high I think lol

I hope this will warn potential moorers of the current status. It isn't some kind of "witch hunt" it's getting scum off the streets and hopefully helping others make up their own mind before making the choice to send the non-refundable deposit. Hope thats not too strong for here?

Seems your information may be correct: freehold of 22 West End Road, Silsoe sold on 03-Oct-2011 for £287,000

In a fair world, some of these proceeds would be used to repay those who have lost money in this scam and who are struggling to get any kind of repayment.

One thing not mentioned is that price of electric (or lack of!!) will be 28p per unit. 12p more than most other marinas!!

According to the local council and Ofgem, to generate and resell electricity to consumers they have to have an Ofgem licence which includes various safety and consumer protection regulations. Also, according to the Parish Council, no application has been made nor approval given for an electricity generating installation.

Sorry - can't seem to do the "double-quote" thingy!

In a fair world, some of these proceeds would be used to repay those who have lost money in this scam and who are struggling to get any kind of repayment.

According to the local council and Ofgem, to generate and resell electricity to consumers they have to have an Ofgem licence which includes various safety and consumer protection regulations. Also, according to the Parish Council, no application has been made nor approval given for an electricity generating installation.

Sorry - can't seem to do the "double-quote" thingy!

Yes, how do you do the double quote thing? Also, can you save a PM as a draft whilst going back to the thread to check a fact. Finally, how do you check if you've actually SENT a PM. (Charlie Boy, can you confirm you received one from me last night

Bottom right of each post it says 'multiquote'

Hit that on each post you want to quote then go to the end of the thread and hit 'add reply' (not the reply at bottom right of the last post but the 'add reply' in the dark blue bar after the last post)

Edited by Bazza2

Yes, how do you do the double quote thing?

Hit MultiQuote on each post you wish to quote, then hit the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page.

Also, can you save a PM as a draft whilst going back to the thread to check a fact.

I open a second browser tab, so I can just swap back and forth.

Finally, how do you check if you've actually SENT a PM.

Whenever I've hit "Send" I've never known one not to arrive. You can also check the little button to keep a copy.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Hit MultiQuote on each post you wish to quote, then hit the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page.

I open a second browser tab, so I can just swap back and forth.

Whenever I've hit "Send" I've never known one not to arrive. You can also check the little button to keep a copy.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for all that. I'll experiment when I have a few minutes.

When I started work you drafted letters longhand and had them typed by a typist who was a right dragon. God help you if she couldn't understand a particular word.( a popular ploy to cover up questionable spelling). Also a maximum of 4 carbon copies.

Frank

Tony,

Thanks for all that. I'll experiment when I have a few minutes.

When I started work you drafted letters longhand and had them typed by a typist who was a right dragon. God help you if she couldn't understand a particular word.( a popular ploy to cover up questionable spelling). Also a maximum of 4 carbon copies.

Frank

What sort of firm did you work for? No one able to take dictation? Pitmans..... OK back on topic.

This thread has run on for some time now and records what (IMO) adds up to misrepresentation at best and flagrant law breaking at worst. While one is an advocate of 'look before you leap/ try before you buy' I can't help feel sorry for those who seem to have 'been had' big time.

That said, in view of the list of complaints does anyone know why Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Local/Parish Council, Old Uncle Tom Cobley & all aren't on this case with the Revenue lads thrown in in case they are trading in insolvency?

I think that if I made similar promises with similar lack of delivery of same while charging people to park on my plot my feet wouldn't touch the ground!

What/Who do the operators know that we don't?

taslim.

What sort of firm did you work for? No one able to take dictation? Pitmans..... OK back on topic.

This thread has run on for some time now and records what (IMO) adds up to misrepresentation at best and flagrant law breaking at worst. While one is an advocate of 'look before you leap/ try before you buy' I can't help feel sorry for those who seem to have 'been had' big time.

That said, in view of the list of complaints does anyone know why Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Local/Parish Council, Old Uncle Tom Cobley & all aren't on this case with the Revenue lads thrown in in case they are trading in insolvency?

I think that if I made similar promises with similar lack of delivery of same while charging people to park on my plot my feet wouldn't touch the ground!

taslim.

I asked the same sometime ago.

Just can't understand why this hasn't yet come to a conclusion.

Martyn

Hi Folks yet another newbie

Unfortunately I too have been a victim of Mr McMasters at Barby Marina and also paid £400 by Visa debit.

I have of course been in touch with my bank and explained the situation but it's unclear at the moment

as to whether I will get it refunded.Will keep my fingers crossed.

I have also written to the chairman of the IWA magazine regarding the many misleading adverts and while

I was at it I also wrote to Watchdog but haven't received any feed back from anyone as yet.

Pete O

Me too, but it had to be in pencil so that the MD could make his own corrections/amendments prior to sending it to the dragon ;)

Tony

taslim.

Difficult for me to say much at the moment. The bodies you mention are, unfortunately, somewhat tortoise-like to act and with somewhat limiting powers. It also needs everyone affected to take the necessary action, too.

However, I have been advised that anyone with a complaint should also report it on:

this site

and also, as well as to his business address, send a copy of every communication by recorded delivery to his registered office, which is

Baldwins Ltd

33-35 Coton Road

Nuneaton

CV11 5TP

Edited by DaveG

I have just left an initial enquiry on the Watchdog site. If more do then they may/will get involved. This took less than five minutes.

I will add once again that I have not parted with any money to Barby Boy/Girl but I do feel strongly that this is still going on unabated.

Martyn

Bottom right of each post it says 'multiquote'

Hit that on each post you want to quote then go to the end of the thread and hit 'add reply' (not the reply at bottom right of the last post but the 'add reply' in the dark blue bar after the last post)

Well when I press 'multiquote' it takes me straight to the 'reply' screen & doesn't give me a chance to select another post.

taslim.

Like DaveG I don't want to say too much on an open forum at this stage. sufficient to say that I've now sent 3 letters (all of which were signed for, the latest on the Saturday 26th November at 13.46.)

Taslim's comments prompted me to phone Consumer Direct (CS) on the phone number I originally reported my case. Seemingly they, CS,had forwarded details of my case to the Trading Standards (TS) people back in late October. However they were unable to say what if anything TS were doing. They did however say that they would contact them again on my behalf and that I should expect to be contacted by CS within 3 working days. If I don't hear I'm to get back to them.

Hope this helps

Frank

Sorry but I failed to QA my last post. All references to CS should have read CD apart from the last that should have read TS

Confused? I am!

Frank

Well when I press 'multiquote' it takes me straight to the 'reply' screen & doesn't give me a chance to select another post.

That's bizarre. What browser are you using? It works for me on IE, Chrome and Firefox.

Tony

However, I have been advised that anyone with a complaint should also report it on:

this site

More specifically, here.

Tony

Sorry but I failed to QA my last post...

Allow me :)

Taslim's comments prompted me to phone Consumer Direct (CD) on the phone number I originally reported my case. Seemingly they, CD,had forwarded details of my case to the Trading Standards (TS) people back in late October. However they were unable to say what if anything TS were doing. They did however say that they would contact them again on my behalf and that I should expect to be contacted by TS within 3 working days. If I don't hear I'm to get back to them.

Hope this helps

The first batch of three-month mooring fees is now ending.....apparently those boaters still there are now being invoiced for FOUR months in advance so it looks like cash flow is still a big issue. Henceforth, this will be known as a "Barby Quarter" in the new 16 month "Barby Calendar".