Barby Moorings and the Trade Description Act!!!!??

Annie Girl

Featured Posts

The first batch of three-month mooring fees is now ending.....apparently those boaters still there are now being invoiced for FOUR months in advance so it looks like cash flow is still a big issue. Henceforth, this will be known as a "Barby Quarter" in the new 16 month "Barby Calendar".

I had that and when I refused all hell let loose. That was for my first payment. Needless to say he got sweet :o all. Nose and face come to mind

Give Chrome a try and see how you get on. (You'll probably never go back to IE when you see how fast it is, but that's another matter entirely.)

Tony

Can't on this company laptop as I can't install software. We were going to have Chrome as well, but the company accounting software won't work with it, so we can't have it.

David

Like DaveG I don't want to say too much on an open forum at this stage. sufficient to say that I've now sent 3 letters (all of which were signed for, the latest on the Saturday 26th November at 13.46.)

Taslim's comments prompted me to phone Consumer Direct (CS) on the phone number I originally reported my case. Seemingly they, CS,had forwarded details of my case to the Trading Standards (TS) people back in late October. However they were unable to say what if anything TS were doing. They did however say that they would contact them again on my behalf and that I should expect to be contacted by CS within 3 working days. If I don't hear I'm to get back to them.

Hope this helps

Frank

Sorry but I failed to QA my last post. All references to CS should have read CD apart from the last that should have read TS

Confused? I am!

Frank

Had a phone call from Hertfordshire Trading Standards earlier today. It lasted 65 minutes and was extremely informative.

I've been asked to copy all the information I hold to them and they will consider the facts and liaise with Northampton? Trading Standards.

At this stage most of the conversation remains confidential.

However, one point that come over very strongly was that the greater the number of people who reported Barby Moorings Ltd to Trading Standards the better. Going to Consumer Direct you will get good advice as to how to claim back monies owed ie deposits but it won't necessarily prompt Trading Standards action.So it appears that it's essential to phone your local Trading Standards yourself if you've been affected and really want something done about it.

Frank

The BBC1 program 'Rip-Off Britain' has also been informed.

It would be excellent if they think it's interesting enough to make a program about Barby Moorings, the more (bad) publicity the better, and it may speed up the process of ripped-off customers to get their money back, if there is any left.

Peter.

Had a phone call from Hertfordshire Trading Standards earlier today. It lasted 65 minutes and was extremely informative.

I've been asked to copy all the information I hold to them and they will consider the facts and liaise with Northampton? Trading Standards.

At this stage most of the conversation remains confidential.

However, one point that come over very strongly was that the greater the number of people who reported Barby Moorings Ltd to Trading Standards the better. Going to Consumer Direct you will get good advice as to how to claim back monies owed ie deposits but it won't necessarily prompt Trading Standards action.So it appears that it's essential to phone your local Trading Standards yourself if you've been affected and really want something done about it.

Frank

Hi Frank

Are you saying we need to go to the one thats closest to wherever we reside to start the process rather than the one that covers Barby?

Hi Frank

Are you saying we need to go to the one thats closest to wherever we reside to start the process rather than the one that covers Barby?

It needs to be Northampton.

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/tradingstandards takes you direct to the website!

Hi Frank

Charlie Boy,

Just phoned Consumer Direct to confirm.

When an individual goes to Consumer Direct details of their case are passed to their local Trading Standards people. This is because the Trading Standards service is funded out of Council Tax and provided on a County Council? basis. Therefore yes you go to your CC Trading Standards people, not Northamptonshire TS who cover the Barby area. Can I stress that it's not sufficient to rely upon your local TS taking up the case without your contacting them directly.

Frank

This is getting more and more confusing.

Arphamoe,

What I've posted over the last 24 hours has been on the basis of (1) A conversation with a named person in Hertfordshire Trading Standards lasting 65 minutes and (2) a conversation I had with Consumer Direct Tel no 08454040506 amatter of minutes ago. I also know that someone else affected (I won't name) has also been in touch with their LOCAL trading Standards and is awaiting a call back

Could you give me a clue as to what you base your comments on. I note that it's your first post so have you just discovered the thread or what

Please don't take offence at the above, I'm just trying to find out the correct process

Frank

I think Consumer Direct, which is a government sponsored Trading Standards "front-end" reporting website, forwards the complaint on to your local TS office although this doesn't seem necessarily logical as there could (as in this case) be a number of reports in process which don't necessarily get tied together so may dilute the severity of the situation somewhat. However, I believe any subsequent legal action is taken by the council in whose county the "rogue" is situated.

As Slim says, it is essential to chase up your complaint quoting the reference number Consumer Direct give you.

We had a reservation and paid a deposit to Barby Moorings but felt that due to the lack of progress at the marina that we couldnt take up our reservation and sent a short polite email to Tony explaining this and asking for a refund of our deposit which he promptly and politely replied too saying he completely understood and will return our deposit.

Perhaps a more polite approach to Tony may resolve your problems.

Jeepster

We had a reservation and paid a deposit to Barby Moorings but felt that due to the lack of progress at the marina that we couldnt take up our reservation and sent a short polite email to Tony explaining this and asking for a refund of our deposit which he promptly and politely replied too saying he completely understood and will return our deposit.

Jeepster

I really do take exception to this comment.

Had you been party to any of my conversations with Mr McMaster or read any of the letters I've written you would know I've never been rude, offensive or used language that would be inappropriate in a Covent.

Consider yourself fortunate that you got your deposit back and don't make judgments based on conjecture

Frank

Had you been party to any of my conversations with Mr McMaster or read any of the letters I've written you would know I've never been rude, offensive or used language that would be inappropriate in a Covent.

Consider yourself fortunate that you got your deposit back and don't make judgments based on conjecture

Frank

More or less word for word what I was going to say.

Frank

jeepster, on 01 December 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

Jeepster

Frank, if you read what Jeepster wrote, you'll see that he hasn't got his deposit back yet, but only a reply saying Tony will return their deposit, I hope for them that he will keep his word.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Greenie 1

Jeepster

Hi there

Just an enquiry, but have you actually had the money back and banked it and its cleared? Or could this be another of Tony's delay tactics? Hope you are one of the lucky ones; you are few and far between or lucky he has just taken funds from another dupted boater. :unsure:

jeepster, on 01 December 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

Jeepster

Frank, if you read what Jeepster wrote, you'll see that he hasn't got his deposit back yet, but only a reply saying Tony will return their deposit, I hope for them that he will keep his word.

Cheers,

Peter.

Beat me to it. I also noted that he has not as yet got his deposit back.

This is getting more and more confusing.

Arphamoe,

What I've posted over the last 24 hours has been on the basis of (1) A conversation with a named person in Hertfordshire Trading Standards lasting 65 minutes and (2) a conversation I had with Consumer Direct Tel no 08454040506 amatter of minutes ago. I also know that someone else affected (I won't name) has also been in touch with their LOCAL trading Standards and is awaiting a call back

Could you give me a clue as to what you base your comments on. I note that it's your first post so have you just discovered the thread or what

Please don't take offence at the above, I'm just trying to find out the correct process

Just confirming it is Northamptonshire County /council who cover this area - it is very close to Rugby, which is Warwickshire!!

Frank

Just confirming that this is covered by Northamptonshire County Council TS. The marina is very close to the county boundary with Rugby, Warwickshire!!

I have not got my deposit back yet but at least he says he will refund.

By a more polite approach I was refering to some of the comments on this thread/board and in particular one calling him a scoundrel and a blaggard. Sorry I dont know how to include quotes but if you scroll back you will find the comment, which was made by someone who got their deposit back.

By a more polite approach I was referring to some of the comments on this thread/board and in particular one calling him a scoundrel and a blaggard. Sorry I dont know how to include quotes but if you scroll back you will find the comment, which was made by someone who got their deposit back.

OK but prehaps you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush and to be honest I don't have the will to page back through 22 pages.

I hope for your sake that you do get your money back. However, I wouldn't spend it before it's safely in your bank. This thread and associated PMs are littered with examples of broken promises and misinformation originating from Barby Moorings

Frank

Well, good luck - I, too, have an e-mail stating "I will refund your money". It's dated 27th September.

The rest of your post smacks of trolling as, unless you have any evidence to the contrary, the comments which you object to have been made by folk who have either lost money or have gone through Hell and high water to get it back, and have genuine grievances against Barby Moorings Ltd which are currently being investigated by the appropriate authorities.

I do wonder if you are trying to provoke a reaction which you hope will result in the thread being closed by the moderators.