Low Water Levels on the Oxford Canal lock 15 to 21

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

Oxford Canal - Lock 15 Marston Doles to Lock 21 Claydon

Tuesday 2 August 2011 until further notice Due to an exceptionally dry spring and summer so far, the reservoir levels for the Oxford Canal are close to the minimum at which they can operate.

Accordingly we need to ensure water is conserved and boats share locks through this area.

Access through these locks will be allowed between 10am-2pm only each day and locked outside these times.

The affected stretch will take approx. 5 hours to travel. You need to take this into account when planning your journey.

It is essential that boats double up when using locks in this location, we ask that boaters be patient and wait for other boats in order that we can conserve the little water we have available.

Enquiries: Nigel Powell 01908 302500

More stoppages on this waterway:

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/oxford-canal/boating/stoppages

(copied and pasted from Bw email alert)

Edited by Lady Muck
Edited for amended time

Tuesday 2 August 2011 until further notice Due to an exceptionally dry spring and summer so far, the reservoir levels for the Oxford Canal are close to the minimum at which they can operate.

Accordingly we need to ensure water is conserved and boats share locks through this area.

Access through these locks will be allowed between 9am-4pm only each day and locked outside these times.

The affected stretch will take approx. 5 hours to travel. You need to take this into account when planning your journey.

It is essential that boats double up when using locks in this location, we ask that boaters be patient and wait for other boats in order that we can conserve the little water we have available.

That sounds like a bit pain. Thansk for pointing this out.

I wonder if Nigel could explain how to 'double up' in the 7ft-wide locks on the Oxford, given my boat is 68ft long. Wait for someone to come along in a coracle perhaps? :)

Access through these locks will be allowed between 9am-4pm only each day and locked outside these times.

How willl that work then? they are single locks!!!

I'm presuming that they wont let you up unless a boat comes down or visa versa.

Strange that they're locking Claydon Bottom lock (presumably as long as you're through it by 4pm you can still go up on to the summit) and Marston Doles bottom lock (again, presuming that you get through it by 4pm you can carry on down Napton flight).

Do the back pumps run from the bottom of Napton to the old engine arm? Is there any between the engine arm and the top of Marston Doles? I'm not familiar with the arrangements for Napton/Marston Doles.

At least there should be some BW staff around if/when I stuck (heading up there this weekend)

That sounds like a bit pain. Thansk for pointing this out.

I wonder if Nigel could explain how to 'double up' in the 7ft-wide locks on the Oxford, given my boat is 68ft long. Wait for someone to come along in a coracle perhaps? :)

Mezzanine Narrowboats - its the future :lol:

I just saw the email too. We are planing to head down the Oxford on the 19th on route to Lechlade. This should not impact us as first day would be Napton to Fenny Compton, second day to Banbury, so should pass through the 2 restrictions in the time slots fine. Just need to watch the timing on the return journey.

I thought that at the top of Napton there was back pumping, I am sure I can picture it coming out on the offside where it widens?

So is there is anyone in a sub 20ft boat travelling that way, want to share rolleyes.gif.

I just saw the email too. We are planing to head down the Oxford on the 19th on route to Lechlade. This should not impact us as first day would be Napton to Fenny Compton, second day to Banbury, so should pass through the 2 restrictions in the time slots fine. Just need to watch the timing on the return journey.

I thought that at the top of Napton there was back pumping, I am sure I can picture it coming out on the offside where it widens?

So is there is anyone in a sub 20ft boat travelling that way, want to share rolleyes.gif.

If there's any water left! ;)

<snip>

<snip>

It's back-pumped directly from the bottom lock at Napton to the top lock at Marston Doles. The course of the pipeline, laid a few years ago, can be clearly seen on Bing Maps!

• Greenie 1

In 1996 it was usual to have such restrictions on the top locks on the oxford canal in high summer. We had to get back the hire boat back to the marina "tomorrow" morning and would be fine if we got through the time restricted lock, but would have had no chance if we didn't get through that day. We joined the queue at 8am but the queue was loooong. After about an hour and not many boats getting through the lock we calculated that there was no chance of getting through at that rate. So... we got the windlasses out walked up to the lock and directed the boats into the locks and crewed the locks, getting into the same kind of routine as going up a flight of locks. The lockkeeper came out to complain comment that heed never seen so many boats get through in a day, and we locked our boat with nearly an hour to spare. We earnt lots of icecreams and beers that day.

In 1996 it was usual to have such restrictions on the top locks on the oxford canal in high summer. We had to get back the hire boat back to the marina "tomorrow" morning and would be fine if we got through the time restricted lock, but would have had no chance if we didn't get through that day. We joined the queue at 8am but the queue was loooong. After about an hour and not many boats getting through the lock we calculated that there was no chance of getting through at that rate. So... we got the windlasses out walked up to the lock and directed the boats into the locks and crewed the locks, getting into the same kind of routine as going up a flight of locks. The lockkeeper came out to complain comment that heed never seen so many boats get through in a day, and we locked our boat with nearly an hour to spare. We earnt lots of icecreams and beers that day.

Good thinking! I am always a bit surprised (if that is the right word) to arrive at a long queue for a lock and find that the occupants of all the boats in the queue are standing holding their boat and chatting. Very few folk now seem to think of going up to the lock to help get boats through a bit quicker and more efficiently. On the way back from the Festival, for example, we found a long queue at Wychmor and not only was the lock empty with bottom gates wide open but the skipper of the first boat in line seemed oblivious to the fact and was still holding his boat in.

It is amazing the difference it makes when there are a few folk helping but that, I find is a dying practice. Before anyone jumps in, I never put my windlass on the paddle gear until I have made contact with the skipper and he indicates that it is OK although it is sometimes hard to attract the skippers attention to ask him!

Lets all be a bit more helpful!

haggis

Edited by haggis

Does anyone have any updates on how big the queues are or other general observations about going across the Oxford summit? I am was planning on going South to the Thames next week but am starting to prepare alternatives if it looks like there will be long hold ups.

Any advice appreciated.

Does anyone have any updates on how big the queues are or other general observations about going across the Oxford summit? I am was planning on going South to the Thames next week but am starting to prepare alternatives if it looks like there will be long hold ups.

Any advice appreciated.

Likewise, planning to set of from Calcutt down the Oxford on Friday. Intending to get an early start to hopefully get all the way up Napton before the 2pm deadline, and overnight the Fenny Compton. Thoughts on the size of the queues apprciated.

Just come up the Napton flight this morning. First boat up and shared with a BW tug (advantages of being 40'). Very little traffic moving and no water over the wier at Marston Doles. About 4 boats waiting to go up and 10 to come down. Quietest I've ever seen the south Oxford at this time of year.

Just come up the Napton flight this morning. First boat up and shared with a BW tug (advantages of being 40'). Very little traffic moving and no water over the wier at Marston Doles. About 4 boats waiting to go up and 10 to come down. Quietest I've ever seen the south Oxford at this time of year.

I agree very quiet. Currently in Banbury heading south.