Hand signals

JohnGH

Featured Posts

I'm relatively new to this game, so this will probably seem obvious to most, but I remain confused.

At times it is easier to pass another boat on the wrong side, normally around locks and bridges. I have seen others use hand signals, then head in the direction they have indicated, so consequently have done the same myself. I have been confused as a couple of times when others have indicated then gone the opposite way, i guess indicating the direction they would like me to go.

So what are the correct signals when you wish to pass on the wrong side?

I'm relatively new to this game, so this will probably seem obvious to most, but I remain confused.

At times it is easier to pass another boat on the wrong side, normally around locks and bridges. I have seen others use hand signals, then head in the direction they have indicated, so consequently have done the same myself. I have been confused as a couple of times when others have indicated then gone the opposite way, i guess indicating the direction they would like me to go.

A difficult one, and one which I suspect will never be resolved without e.g. training or a definite decision becoming well known, neither of which will happen anytime soon. Where possible, I would suspect the best action is to realise the situation early enough to avoid getting into the "grey area". Perhaps another application for use of cheap, low range radios, that everyone can afford ( £10) like 446, perhaps :lol: ?

Nick

There are no real 'correct' signals apart from horn signals like I'm moving to port to starboard etc etc - they are not really worth learning though because no body generally uses them because like me most can't remember them.

If I think a boat is better to pass on the wrong side I normally very pointedly point at them and then signal to them which side to pass whilst making a decisive as I can manage steer to the left so they pass on my right.

It normally works for me.

Should we not use the appropriate sound signal?

Probably, but most people don't know them

For passing wrong side I point to the water next to the boat, and make an exaggerated under arm motion from them to the wrong side of my boat. Then I hold position, it hasn't failed yet.

On some estate roads round here, it is common to DRIVE passing wrong side because of parked cars and skips, haven't dented the bodywork yet

I don't think that it would be a practical thing to have on the English canal boats, but on the other side of the Channel barges (not the smallest ones) use blue board and white flashing lights to indicate they're one the wrong side + the use of their VHF.

The clearer the signals the less chance there will be of a possible misunderstanding.

Peter.

Ignore these people.

It is sufficient to indicate where you intend to go trust that & the other boater will be capable of manoeuvring appropriately. Any boater who tries to direct another boat passing them is acting like an arrogant idiot.

except the fat man shouting directions as 4 boats did the Banbury shuffle - he was not an idiot.

Thanks for the info, I never realised it was such a grey area. Thankfully boats move slowly and in most cases the easiest resolution is obvious. I certainly agree about ignoring others who tell you what you should be doing, or at least what they think you should be doing.

Ignore these people.

It is sufficient to indicate where you intend to go trust that & the other boater will be capable of manoeuvring appropriately. Any boater who tries to direct another boat passing them is acting like an arrogant idiot.

except the fat man shouting directions as 4 boats did the Banbury shuffle - he was not an idiot.

- the OP sounds as if he might be a bit hesitant, if I see a boat coming the other way being a bit hesitant and I think it would be better for it to pass on the wrong side I am quite happy to direct them to that side. It does not make me arrogant and certainly does not make me an idiot.

Each time I have ever done it we have exchanged greetings as the other boat passes...it's not arrogance it's just helping another boater.

I don't know of any recognised signals.

I usually make exaggerated pointing movements to my boat or myself, then point to the direction I wish to go.

Often works but not always!

Dito.

Martyn. I used to be a windmill in a past life.

- the OP sounds as if he might be a bit hesitant, if I see a boat coming the other way being a bit hesitant and I think it would be better for it to pass on the wrong side I am quite happy to direct them to that side. It does not make me arrogant and certainly does not make me an idiot.

Each time I have ever done it we have exchanged greetings as the other boat passes...it's not arrogance it's just helping another boater.

He sounds like someone a bit confused by people waving their arms about & telling him what to do when the sensible thing for them to do is signal what they intend to do

It is idiotic because it is unnecessary & causes confusion - as the OP said he thought they were signalling where they were going

It is arrogant because you are assuming that the other boater is "hesitant" - he could be waiting for you to get yourdamself through the bridge or out of the lock or adjusting speed so that he can be in the best place to let your boat passing pull his bow into the lock/bridgehole.

Also just because you "think it would be better for it to pass on the wrong side" does not actually make it so.

I dont think i've ever been in a situation where it's been better to pass the 'wrong' side at a bridgehole.

It is always better to pass on the 'correct' side unless it's bleeding obvious to all

Exchanging greetings has nothing to do with it, I've exchanged greetings with arrogant idiots in the situation you describe. It's not a reason to be surly

He sounds like someone a bit confused by people waving their arms about & telling him what to do when the sensible thing for them to do is signal what they intend to do

It is idiotic because it is unnecessary & causes confusion - as the OP said he thought they were signalling where they were going

It is arrogant because you are assuming that the other boater is "hesitant" - he could be waiting for you to get yourdamself through the bridge or out of the lock or adjusting speed so that he can be in the best place to let your boat passing pull his bow into the lock/bridgehole.

Also just because you "think it would be better for it to pass on the wrong side" does not actually make it so.

I dont think i've ever been in a situation where it's been better to pass the 'wrong' side at a bridgehole.

It is always better to pass on the 'correct' side unless it's bleeding obvious to all

Exchanging greetings has nothing to do with it, I've exchanged greetings with arrogant idiots in the situation you describe. It's not a reason to be surly

Here we go again..

I do not as a rule tell other people what to do (except once when I was organising 4 boats through the Bunbury Shuffle - how long ago was that Lonewolf?[ I don't recalling shouting, but I am a bit overweight...]).

I do however try and make it as clear as possible what I intend to do by pointing to myself and then clearly pointing the direction I intend to go.

Only once, after making it very clear that I was going onto my mooring on the offside so was going to pass the other boat on my right, did I get a very snotty woman shouting at me for passing on the wrong side - even though I was practically stationary on my mooring by the time she passed! Generally clear signs of what YOU intend to do should work best. The worst is when someone sticks their arm out like you would on a bike to indicate they are turning left say, then turn in the opposite direction, presumably because they thought they were tlling you which side to go.

If you intend going right put your right arm out...simples..works for me..the rest is if its a hire boat anything is possible..

Oh and if you see a boat coming upto the bridge around the same time as you, you either wave them through and wait or do what they do which is stop and you do the same and both look at each other then both set off at the same time. lol

I do not as a rule tell other people what to do (except once when I was organising 4 boats through the Bunbury Shuffle - how long ago was that Lonewolf?[ I don't recalling shouting, but I am a bit overweight...]).

Ha Ha! - was that really you or are you joshing me? I've checked the capts log & it was Fri 20th August last year (Sat was race day in Chester)

I used the term 'fat man' for comedy effect. apologies, you are not fat, i should have used 'stout'. it would have been funnier as well.

the correct signals when you wish to pass on the wrong side?

Hoot Hoot

One day on a recent trip: FIRST incident: an oncoming boat was holding its line to pass on the normal side - but much waving of arms from front of boat, answered by arm-pointing from the steerer to his left. Following their apparent intention would have sent me to my left to fit with their collective pointing - but I held my line until the last possible moment as there was no particular reason for them to change course, and in the end they didn't. The armwaving was all to do with some extremely interesting bird on the towpath.

SECOND incident on the same day: Another oncoming boat. This time the steerer sticks out his arm to his right, and this is also repeated from the front. I am keeping to my right, so I carry on - much shouting and general acrimony. The right arm in this case meant "we have just passed our boatyard that we had meant to turn into: we are about to reverse and wind and would be obliged if you would stop and wait for us.

Another incident where we caused the confusion: we were northbound at Bridge 80 on the Northern Oxford: this bridge is falling down and had some orange buoys to my right to protect the remains of the brickwork: the bridge is also on a gentle right hand bend with the towingpath on my left. Approaching the bridge slowly, an oncoming boat on the far side sees me and goes into a tizzy and ends up across the canal. We pass one another eventually by which time I am on the towpath (to my left on the right curve) and another boat is approaching a four or five boat-lengths behind the tizzified one. As steerer I am tempted to try two hoots to request the outside of the bend which I'm finding difficult to leave, but they might not understand: my next best is three hoots giving them the responsibility to get around me: I'm just about to hoot my three when crew-at-the-front sitcks out a right arm to tell them where I'm (not) going. Abuse flows from our back end to our front end, and the oncoming boat has to reverse to allow me time to manoeuvre outside them.

All this arm-pointing is just confusing. There are agreed and documented signals which on canalboats are initiated by the person steering the boat, and declare their intention: One hoot for right, two for left: it couldn't be much easier, even if nobody ever uses three or four. If a collision, damage or injury occurs, those who have signalled properly will be in a stronger position than if they hadn't signalled at all - imho.

It's simple.

One hoot, I'm turning, or keeping to, the left.

Two hoots, I'm turning to the right (only really needed when turning into a junction or entrance, as you would ordinairily keep to the right anyway , duh)

If sound signals are not understood (they rarely are...) I stick my right arm out, with a closed fist, whilst steering, or keeping, my boat to my left. No frantic waving required. Why would I point to my right, to indicate that that is where I wish to go?? Do you point at yourself, and to your right, everytime a boat approaches?

Easypeaasy

All this arm-pointing is just confusing. There are agreed and documented signals which on canalboats are initiated by the person steering the boat, and declare their intention: One hoot for right, two for left: it couldn't be much easier, even if nobody ever uses three or four. If a collision, damage or injury occurs, those who have signalled properly will be in a stronger position than if they hadn't signalled at all - imho.

Quote Lucto

It's simple.

One hoot, I'm turning, or keeping to, the left.

Two hoots, I'm turning to the right (only really needed when turning into a junction or entrance, as you would ordinairily keep to the right anyway , duh)

If sound signals are not understood (they rarely are...) I stick my right arm out, with a closed fist, whilst steering, or keeping, my boat to my left. No frantic waving required. Why would I point to my right, to indicate that that is where I wish to go?? Do you point at yourself, and to your right, everytime a boat approaches?

Easypeaasy

Its no wonder there's such confusion

Edited by NBMike

No wonder no-one uses sound signals - completely different versions have just been given!

Sounds like the 'point to my boat and point to where it is going' is the easiest and least confusing method? I have certainly used this method and it always seems to work (so far), but I also try to move steadily once the other boat has signalled their understanding.

Coming up to a bridge or other narrow section at the same time as an approaching boat could be a problem. Since I am not in a hurry I always slow down and let the other boat have right of way but if they wave me forward I always immediately go since there could be a very good reason for them asking that. I have never been in the situation where both boats sit there waving each on :lol: but I suppose it is possible, in which case I would suggest that the non-towpath side boat should go since it will probably be in shallower and more awkward water.

John