Hand signals

JohnGH

Featured Posts

No wonder no-one uses sound signals - completely different versions have just been given!

The last time we used a horn signal was when Jan was steering and I happened to be walking ahead.

Jan is better at remembering which one is which and signalled to a boat that she was reversing (3 short blasts) as she had met a boat equidistant from a 'pinch point' and she was moving back to wave them through.

I was along side the other boat and the skipper not realising that I was from the other boat looked at me and said something along the lines of 'What the bloody hell is she hooting at!!'

I smiled and just said 'She is letting you know she is reversing so you can get through first' that's what that signal means..... :rolleyes:

1. Middle finger, right hand - I have been sitting behind you at 1 mph, for 1 hour and you will not give way.

2. Middle and index finger, right hand - I have been sitting behind you at 1 mph, for 2 hours and you will not give way.

3. Middle finger, left hand - You just stole my bridge hole.

4. Middle and index finger, left hand - You just stole my lock.

5. Middle fingers, both hands - You are moored on a water point and these are the two fingers I'll be using to type the 'name and shame post', on CWDF.

6. Middle and index fingers, both hands - That's it! I've had enough. Prepare the boarding party, swords drawn.

• Greenie 1

The last time we used a horn signal was when Jan was steering and I happened to be walking ahead.

Jan is better at remembering which one is which and signalled to a boat that she was reversing (3 short blasts) as she had met a boat equidistant from a 'pinch point' and she was moving back to wave them through.

I was along side the other boat and the skipper not realising that I was from the other boat looked at me and said something along the lines of 'What the bloody hell is she hooting at!!'

I smiled and just said 'She is letting you know she is reversing so you can get through first' that's what that signal means..... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To some-one that doesn't know about sound signals 3 honks would sound aggressive!

Perhaps we should all have a little label at the helm with the 4 sound signals shown so that we can refer to them quickly when necessary (or they have become ingrained)? The problem as I see it is when some people use the signals and others don't know them - confusion reigns!

John

To some-one that doesn't know about sound signals 3 honks would sound aggressive!

Exactly - some people unfortunately equate horn use on boats with using them on a car where generally nowadays they are used aggressively...

It's simple.

One hoot, I'm turning, or keeping to, the left.

Two hoots, I'm turning to the right (only really needed when turning into a junction or entrance, as you would ordinairily keep to the right anyway , duh)

If sound signals are not understood (they rarely are...) I stick my right arm out, with a closed fist, whilst steering, or keeping, my boat to my left. No frantic waving required. Why would I point to my right, to indicate that that is where I wish to go?? Do you point at yourself, and to your right, everytime a boat approaches?

Easypeaasy

Or it would be if you hadn't got it back to front!

I prefer to stick to the proper sound signals, as their meaning is unambiguous, and if the other steerer doesn't understand them, he should learn!

Arm signals have no universal meaning, and cause just as much confusion as horn signals, without the benefit of actually having an agreed meaning.

Such signals should only be used between skipper and crew as a form of private signal that is agreed in advance.

One =Right.................... (One is always right don't you know)

Two = Left

Three = reverse

Four = I am turning round (Winding)

Four + One = I am turning round to my right

Four + Two = I am turning round to my left

Any signal is to inform any other person of your intentions.

I think sound signals are a waste of time on the canals because 90% of canal users have no idea of what they mean.

Arm flailing is just about as useless because you don't know what the other boat may interpret your flailing as.

I moor just up from a bridge with a tight 90 deg bend. It always amuses me when people sound their horn to let oncomming boats that they are going through. Maybe in the hope that the oncomming boat has an exceptionally quite engine and they'll be heard?

I vote Carlt's hand signals.......

True, but like how you say something, three longer blasts sound as if they are a signal - even if they dont understand it!

Maybe if you have a horn like the Queen Mary, but I'm not sure about a narrowboat horn - or at least mine! :lol: The longer it sounds the more aggressive it sounds :wacko:

John

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps we should all have a little label at the helm with the 4 sound signals shown so that we can refer to them quickly when necessary (or they have become ingrained)? The problem as I see it is when some people use the signals and others don't know them - confusion reigns!

John

Hello John,

don't know if it will be clear enough to see, on my boat I have this label, but instead of only 4, there are 14 sound signals marked on it.

In this case all in German, as the first owner of my (Dutch built) boat was a German.

3a83cbf0f808fd38025d449f8fa69933.jpg

Peter.

Everybody that thinks that (almost) nobody knows the meaning of sound signals is right, that's why when horns are used you hear signals that are impossible to decode, I suppose that those horn users think :"If I make enough noise, they will dissolve, and we'll have all the space we need".

The hand-sinalling ones, with their exaggerated hand-signals it's more like they are doing some physical exercises outside, because of the lack of space inside, and once they are close enough to be able to understand the screaming of the person up front, they'll yell something different then the person at the helm wants you to do, as there's often a misunderstanding between them already.

It must be fun to watch for towpath users and fisherman and to hear and see all these people making fools of themselfs, it must help them a lot to have a nice day, and a good laugh.

Peter.

There are no real 'correct' signals apart from horn signals like I'm moving to port to starboard etc etc - they are not really worth learning though because no body generally uses them because like me most can't remember them.

If I think a boat is better to pass on the wrong side I normally very pointedly point at them and then signal to them which side to pass whilst making a decisive as I can manage steer to the left so they pass on my right.

It normally works for me.

Was about to post how I do it which is exactly how you have said.

Having said that on the very rare times I have had to pass another boat on the wrong side, both me and the other steerer have realised in plenty of time and had no need for frantic hand signals

Just two I would add to this.

Although there is a horn signal for winding this is only when doing the actual winding. Advance warning with a clear circular hand/arm movement overhead is useful and helpful.

If I am being followed closely by another boat that appears to be in a bit of a hurry the a wave pass appears to be in order, although from the tone of some of the comments it appears that others might like to give a different sort of hand signal!

Hello John,

don't know if it will be clear enough to see, on my boat I have this label, but instead of only 4, there are 14 sound signals marked on it.

In this case all in German, as the first owner of my (Dutch built) boat was a German.

3a83cbf0f808fd38025d449f8fa69933.jpg

Peter.

Hi Peter,

That really would be confusing - 14 signals in German :blink:

:cheers:

John

Just two I would add to this.

Although there is a horn signal for winding this is only when doing the actual winding. Advance warning with a clear circular hand/arm movement overhead is useful and helpful.

If I am being followed closely by another boat that appears to be in a bit of a hurry the a wave pass appears to be in order, although from the tone of some of the comments it appears that others might like to give a different sort of hand signal!

Isn't that the signal for 'I am holier than thou' ?

John

• 11 months later...

hi please excuse a newbees real ignorance but which is wrong & which is right side, i thought you pass port to port. when do you need to pass otherwise?.

As you may realise we are trying to learn the rules etc of narrowboating before we venture inland. Are there rule books available? many thanks

hi please excuse a newbees real ignorance but which is wrong & which is right side, i thought you pass port to port. when do you need to pass otherwise?.

As you may realise we are trying to learn the rules etc of narrowboating before we venture inland. Are there rule books available? many thanks

you are quite right it is port to port just googled a site you might find interesting . rules

1. Middle finger, right hand - I have been sitting behind you at 1 mph, for 1 hour and you will not give way.

2. Middle and index finger, right hand - I have been sitting behind you at 1 mph, for 2 hours and you will not give way.

3. Middle finger, left hand - You just stole my bridge hole.

4. Middle and index finger, left hand - You just stole my lock.

5. Middle fingers, both hands - You are moored on a water point and these are the two fingers I'll be using to type the 'name and shame post', on CWDF.

6. Middle and index fingers, both hands - That's it! I've had enough. Prepare the boarding party, swords drawn.

Oh, how funny!...have one of those green things.

Quote Lucto

It's simple.

One hoot, I'm turning, or keeping to, the left.

Two hoots, I'm turning to the right (only really needed when turning into a junction or entrance, as you would ordinairily keep to the right anyway , duh)

If sound signals are not understood (they rarely are...) I stick my right arm out, with a closed fist, whilst steering, or keeping, my boat to my left. No frantic waving required. Why would I point to my right, to indicate that that is where I wish to go?? Do you point at yourself, and to your right, everytime a boat approaches?

Easypeaasy

Its no wonder there's such confusion

Up north if you meet a working boat he normally uses sound signals and you hold the correct number of fingers just above your head. To turn you give the turn signal followed by one or two hoots to say which way on rivers.

Down south where most don't know signals the wife stands at the front and waves to the approaching boat then points as in 'you' followed by which direction we want them to go. If they get it right they get a smile and a wave when passing me (steering) - if they don't one assumes they are Americans.

Boats coming up behind are invited to pass when we think it safe (some don't which we find annoying -h aving them up our arse so to speak. If they accept we indicate which side to pass - normally we choose the metalled side. We like slow overtake some feet away and we pull over to make room then, as they move up we cut to tickover, and keep this on until they are nearly infront sucking us towards them at which point we apply more throttle and steer away until their back end is in front of our front. (The steer away is often made difficult when they start cutting back to centre rather than keeping over when there is still an overlap.) Once they are in front we will be sucked along faster than normal until they get far enough in front for the suck to reduce. Overtaking on narrow shallow canals is the most difficult trick of the lot!

Hello John,

Peter.

Craft over 20m are also required to have an all-round yellow light synchronised with the horn so it is possible to see which craft is signaling - very useful in somewhere like Rotterdam. Unfortunately even the muliplicity of CEVNI sound signals aren't necessarily much use though.

Recently coming downstream with 4 trainees on board and about to turn to port into the basin at Cambrai, there was a (Belgian, if that explains anything :rolleyes: ) cruiser waiting to go downhill into the lock immediately beyond the entrance. As I approached they suddenly started reversing rapidly towards me. I put up my blue board with its flashing white light ("I intend to pass starboard to starboard") - they still kept a-coming. I called on VHF ch.10 (the ship-to-ship channel), no result. I sounded two short blasts ("I'm coming to port") - still no reaction. One long blast ("attention/caution") - no!. Six very short blasts ("imminent danger of collision") - still no. Di, on the fore end, shouts "What the f*** are you doing you silly B(elgians) - get the hell out of the way" RESULT!. :lol:

So one Di is better than all the horn signals you can imagine in some circumstances - and she didn't even have a yellow light on her hat.

Edited by Tam & Di

Craft over 20m are also required to have an all-round yellow light synchronised with the horn so it is possible to see which craft is signaling - very useful in somewhere like Rotterdam. Unfortunately even the muliplicity of CEVNI sound signals aren't necessarily much use though.

Recently coming downstream with 4 trainees on board and about to turn to port into the basin at Cambrai, there was a (Belgian, if that explains anything :rolleyes: ) cruiser waiting to go downhill into the lock immediately beyond the entrance. As I approached they suddenly started reversing rapidly towards me. I put up my blue board with its flashing white light ("I intend to pass starboard to starboard") - they still kept a-coming. I called on VHF ch.10 (the ship-to-ship channel), no result. I sounded two short blasts ("I'm coming to port") - still no reaction. One long blast ("attention/caution") - no!. Six very short blasts ("imminent danger of collision") - still no. Di, on the fore end, shouts "What the f*** are you doing you silly B(elgians) - get the hell out of the way" RESULT!. :lol:

So one Di is better than all the horn signals you can imagine in some circumstances - and she didn't even have a yellow light on her hat.

O I would have loved to have been there and seen it, I really enjoyed the time we spent with you both.