Noise pollution

bizzard

Featured Posts

Can batteries be ruined by overfilling?

No,but it will dilute the electrolyte a bit,so reduce the batteries capacity very slightly.and expands when warm,(on charge) so can ooze out of vents and make a mess. bizzard

I don't think that the definition of "nuisance" can be stretched so far, otherwise I could legitimately object to the guy on the next boat having a large and unnecessarily ugly wife in public view on his back deck!

Given that boats generally have diesel engines which are not intrinsically quiet things it has to be accepted that their use will bring with it a certain amount of noise and fumes. Who is to determine whether or not this is "excessive"? Some people thrive on the sound of a slow revving vintage engine, popping away. The rules don't prevent the running of engines between the hours of 8am and 8pm, just because someone objects.

I find the suggestions that people who dont like the noise should move, rather than than those making the noise (outside hours, of course) odd - why is it often those who havent done the wrong thing who end up having to feel bad & make amends?

As we have an air cooled engine.....with a very low output alternator it seems....though we are working on that....we have to run a genny for battery top up and hot water, whether or not we have just cruised..

Do you have an exhaust heated calorifier or something?

I find the suggestions that people who dont like the noise should move, rather than than those making the noise (outside hours, of course) odd - why is it often those who havent done the wrong thing who end up having to feel bad & make amends?

Oh thank God IM not the only person on this planet who thinks this too!

Sometimes when I read this forum I think ''why on earth do some people live on boats if they dont want peace''

We were on a visitor mooring at Lower Heyford on the Oxford recently.

The signs state that engines & gennies should not be run on the moorings --- for the benefit of nearby houses I presume.

Can this rule be enforced between 8am/8pm?

Seems a bit pointless anyway, next to the towpath is a main rail line & it's busy & noisy.

We were on a visitor mooring at Lower Heyford on the Oxford recently.

The signs state that engines & gennies should not be run on the moorings --- for the benefit of nearby houses I presume.

Can this rule be enforced between 8am/8pm?

Seems a bit pointless anyway, next to the towpath is a main rail line & it's busy & noisy.

In my opinion, yes. But this will be disputed by others.

The 8am-8pm rule is a general rule expressed as a licence condition.

A specific rule can be made for a site under s43 powers (the same powers that BW use to regulate the mooring time limits)

We only ever run our engine after 8pm when we're in a secluded place with no other boats or houses within earshot. The gennie is rather loud and is therefore used very sparingly for power tools - if the noise is to be prolonged it will again be when there's just us to hear it.

We do however need to run our engine (not particularly noisy) for 3-4 hours per day when we're not cruising to charge our batteries. Sorry folks but I'm not sitting in the dark of an evening with no lappy and sour milk because you're not happy with us running our engine at a time when we are perfectly entitled to.

In my opinion, yes. But this will be disputed by others.

The 8am-8pm rule is a general rule expressed as a licence condition.

A specific rule can be made for a site under s43 powers (the same powers that BW use to regulate the mooring time limits)

Don't get me going on that one Dave, with all these new build houses springing up demanding that boats don't moor/run engines etc on recognised mooring locations. (Macclesfield for one).

George ex nb Alton retired

True and the boat I saw with a sign on the stern stating " Warning generator run late into the night" was being considerate.

The boat was in the 'middle of nowhere' and no one moored near, so the sign worked. :)

I am surprised he doesn't attract like minded people. Someone pulling in immediately behind with a large air cooled Lister genset on the foredeck intent on watching the late night movie may just see the sign dispensed with on future occasions:-)

Don't get me going on that one Dave, with all these new build houses springing up demanding that boats don't moor/run engines etc on recognised mooring locations. (Macclesfield for one).

Couldn't agree more. It is an undesirable development, but it is within their powers.

Couldn't agree more. It is an undesirable development, but it is within their powers.

Agreed it is within BW powers but, just once, I wish they would stand up to these people and say "No! Boats were here first and you will have to live with REASONABLE noise" instead of screwing the boater at every opportunity.

The signs at Lower Heyford seem to be more of a request than an instruction.

Has anyone ever been fined for running their engine there?

The signs at Macc are definitely "DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE WHILE MOORED".

Given Bw's enforcement record I very much doubt anyone has been in court over this, but even a request notice gives ammunition to the residents when they come down to the boat to give you abuse.

I agree with you about excessively noisy and smoky - I didn't think the OP was referring to that problem.

But if its not excessively noisy or smoky I don't think I agree with you about the window / door. If you are referring to houses I suspect the canal was there first, and the existence of a canal in good condition with boats using it regularly adds value to canalside properties. If you are referring to other boats well I think it's a case of live and let live.

If you want to experience noisy boats spend a windy night in a sail-boat marina with halyards flapping.

Especialy if halyards are wire and mast is aluminium.

Phil

The visitor and water point moorings in Macclesfield are awful. Maybe the towpath bank/visitor moorings have been deliberately left in an unmaintained condition to discourage visitors mooring because of the conflict from occupiers of adjacent new housing?

It always seems strange to me that the main town on that canal has turned its back on the heritage that helped to create the industrial wealth of the town. I won't comment on the permanent moorings alongside the birth-place of Hovis!

Agreed it is within BW powers but, just once, I wish they would stand up to these people and say "No! Boats were here first and you will have to live with REASONABLE noise" instead of screwing the boater at every opportunity.

Indeed.

However, we do have to be a little careful how far we push the "boats were here first" argument.

Boats running engines to run oodles of electrical equipment is a very recent phenomenon. Even with fairly new housing developments, the residents can truthfully say that when they first moved in, boats did not moor there with engines running for hours on end, and that all they want is to maintain the status quo.

Indeed.

However, we do have to be a little careful how far we push the "boats were here first" argument.

Boats running engines to run oodles of electrical equipment is a very recent phenomenon. Even with fairly new housing developments, the residents can truthfully say that when they first moved in, boats did not moor there with engines running for hours on end, and that all they want is to maintain the status quo.

My mate has 'oodles of electrical equipment' and a 6kVA generator permanently installed under the tug deck to run it all. The generator is SO quiet one is pushed to hear it running even when standing on the bank right next to the generator.

This seems the way to go to me. If no-one can hear your generator running, no-one is going to complain. Boats abusing their propulsion engine for electricity and hot water generation whilst moored will increasingly be seen as the ones out of step.

Intrigued by the logic of running generator/engine charging in the early evening as many seem to do.

If you have been cruising, batteries should be fully charged at the end of day. The evening drain plus fridge/freezer running overnight should be covered by an adequate battery bank size, leaving them at their lowest the following morning. Running charging system then is surely most efficient & allows say electric kettle or washing machine to be used as well whilst you have power generation.

If you are moored up for a day or more I can see that an evening charge may be necessary as well although solar power could maybe compensate for the daily drain.