Noise pollution

bizzard

Featured Posts

That may well be possible if you're on a boat. Not so easy if you're on land.

Tim

Tell me about it Tim it's one reason I want to live on my boat so I can just move!

If this boat is Zoe is the front door to one side?

I recall a review of it in a canal mag it was built for a woman who is a teacher and her teenage son.

If this is a breech of rules then surely BW have to act on it if you report it and provide video evidence?

Either way just go and knock on they agreed to the rules when buying a licence.

Hi

If you are referring to me, not that I think I am that worthy, then the location of my boat is not secret, we are CCers and CC as per the rules.

Great lets have a debate about CCing within the rules, I am a bit bored this morning!!!!!!closedeyes.gif

Better go and start my engine..........

Edited by cotswoldsman

Hi

Generator has been running since 07:58 Hrs and will auto stop at 08:58 Hrs. :rolleyes:

Is the first two minutes your little show of rebellion against following rules? :D :D

Tim

Edit - it's a shame BW don't have the same rules for their contractors, they come & cut the grass around the lock every 3 weeks (overkill IMO), and often start outside our window with noisy mower & strimmers at 7 am :(

Edited by Timleech

Assume you mean the "Paper Mill" pub ?

I don't have to guess too hard that the boat involved would be the massive Piper wide beam "Zoe" - the boat built big enough to be a VAT exempt houseboat......

This boat does seem to be incapable of going more than about an hour without running an internal generating plant of some kind. If I walk the dog past in one direction, and it isn't making a noise, it can usually be guaranteed to be doing so as I walk back the other way, even though seemingly unoccupied.

I have never seen this boat, which has no home mooring, more than a mile from the same location, and assume it has to be permanently connected to the shore via some kind of diesel hose in order to meet an insatiable need to keep the generators running. :rolleyes:

It does seem one of the most bizarre boats around, and it seems its owner actually wants it to be a penthouse flat, with the fact that it is actually a boat getting in the way of that desire as little as possible.

Each to their own, I guess, but seems totally bonkers to me! Thank God not every non moving canal boat has the need to fire up generating capability on such a regular basis.

It certainly sounds like the same boat,mind it was August 2005.

Near the spaghetti junction type footbridge over to the pub.

If i remember correctly there were houses all along there too. bizzard

The majority of widebeams are just houseboats,only move to the pumpout or to refuel.Around here anyway.

A blessing around here as the Stort is too small and windey they often get stuck on bends,and knock lumps out of the road over bridges retaining walls. bizzard.

Assume you mean the "Paper Mill" pub ?

I don't have to guess too hard that the boat involved would be the massive Piper wide beam "Zoe" - the boat built big enough to be a VAT exempt houseboat......

This boat does seem to be incapable of going more than about an hour without running an internal generating plant of some kind. If I walk the dog past in one direction, and it isn't making a noise, it can usually be guaranteed to be doing so as I walk back the other way, even though seemingly unoccupied.

I have never seen this boat, which has no home mooring, more than a mile from the same location, and assume it has to be permanently connected to the shore via some kind of diesel hose in order to meet an insatiable need to keep the generators running. :rolleyes:

It does seem one of the most bizarre boats around, and it seems its owner actually wants it to be a penthouse flat, with the fact that it is actually a boat getting in the way of that desire as little as possible.

Each to their own, I guess, but seems totally bonkers to me! Thank God not every non moving canal boat has the need to fire up generating capability on such a regular basis.

The Papermill pub had only opened on that very week in Aug 2005 and were giving away free samples. bizzard

So you think it's acceptable to tie up with your generator next to someone's window/door (boat or house, makes no difference in principle), maybe on a warm summers day, and run your generator?

Tim

Rather than question my principles, how about setting out your own for discussion?

Hey, it drives me to despair too. I often commute somewhere in the realm of 1.5 - 2 hours each way each day and by the time I get home, all I want to do is sit down and stare at the wall (maybe turn the radio on or read a book). I don't think the grand electric palaces realise how annoying the constant thrum and hum of their gennies/engines are and often use 'but I've been at work all day' as an excuse. I'm like, well yeah, me too pal, switch the funking thing off.

I'm very grateful for my floating tent with limited drain on the batteries and wouldn't switch over to fridge, TV, god only knows what else for any money. I certainly couldn't keep up the engine running with the 8-8 'rule' anyway. Neither can anyone else it seems.

Once moored at Batchworth, I politely knocked and asked how long the boat in front of me was planning on running their engine for (it was already after 8) and he aggressively spat back something like 'oh okay, I'll turn it off now. How long have you been moored there?' to which after a few beats of shock I replied 'about a week and a half now... why?' and he grumbled off and turned the engine off. I guess the insinuation was 'you're a liveaboard therefore you must be an overstayer and as you must already be breaking the rules, I'm going to break them too. I found the whole exhange bizarre. People will justify noise pollution in the strangest ways.

It wasn't the Piper Widebeam Zoë, as that's a very recent boat and didn't exist yet in 2005.

It's a bit silly (to say the least) to be so dependent on your generator permanently, if the genny breaks down and nothing works anymore, or maybe only for a very short period until complete battery failure, you've had it.

Peter.

I,and i'm sure most of us love peace and quiet.

BUT.I have taken to trying to moor day or night away from other boats,mainly modernish ones with all the trappings of so called modern living, requiring huge comsumption of electrical power. There used to be an agreed time to run engines for charging purposes,i think between 7 and 8pm correct me if i'm wrong,but very few boaters seem to adhere to this old rule anymore. Indeed in days of yore,anyone moored on a trot of boats, needing to charge batteries out of these times would ask the neighboring boaters if they minded the noise for a short time ''never at night though''and would almost always receive a polite and pleasant,yes of course.

But i'm afraid in general these days, most either just don't know the old courtesy rules or just selfishly choose to ignore them.-S------them,i pay my dues,i'm going to do as i please attitude,i know a couple of owners who have this attitude. Also a lot of the freindliness has gone.Most seem to now,pull in, tie up,go and shut themselves in and i presume set all their inverter powered electrical appliances running.Its no wonder Electrolosis is such a major issue these days,no offense whatever,meant to anyone,by the way. We'll all have to change to wooden boats as a remedy.

Why on a couple of occasions i've traveled for half a day sharing locks ect,tied up behind them for the night,sat down with a cup of tea swooning in the peace,and lo within about 10 mins that boats started its engine again after running all day!,and i and others are now subject to a droning engine ,maybe hours.

Once i was moored at i think Apsley GU opposite the new Papermakers pub (London Pride} mmmmm. behind an maximum size wide beam.Apart from its wretched Eber come Weba going on and off like a vacuum cleaner all night long (mid summer). An on demand

diesel generator i presume in its engine room roared out at 2am for around 15 mins,horrendous.I'm told this occurs a lot.

.All those thinking of going all electric,''please'' Hope i've not offended anyone. Kind regards to all. bizzard.

Sneaking along the towpath with a chalice full of Tate & Lyles finest was one of the suggested answers to the problem. In this thread here

So you think it's acceptable to tie up with your generator next to someone's window/door (boat or house, makes no difference in principle), maybe on a warm summers day, and run your generator?

Tim

This happened to us. Moored on an empty mooring a boat arrived at 2pm and moored just in front of us (thanks). But there is no complaint about engine - until... Then - on a hot summers evening around 8pm he puts up his pram back end, zips it up tight and starts his engine pumping fumes into our boat.

Since the mooring is still empty for 200yds in front of him so he can move up I go and bang on the boat - out comes the wife. Wneh I say its after 8pm - engine off or move forward to stop the fumes she tells us it doesn't bother then and they do the wash from 8 to 11 pm and need the engine on. So I say - then move - and with the wife now backing me we start untieing them and the lady comes and help pull the boat forward. At this point hubby appears and starts with the insults about 'chummies who can't stand a few fumes'. We ignore him and move the boat to the other end of the mooring and moor it up. At which point he switches the engine off leaving his wife totally bemused.

I was reading an advert in a caravan mag with a generator owner telling us his honda is whisper quiet. I assume he must be deaf given the decibel rating of said generator.

As we have an air cooled engine.....with a very low output alternator it seems....though we are working on that....we have to run a genny for battery top up and hot water, whether or not we have just cruised..

in time we will have an alternative diesel hot water option, but not as yet....ongoing project!

We never run it late though, usually trying to do it in working hours if possible.

We are not a 'shiny new boat' nor do we have mountains of electrical equipment, but we have a fridge and 2 lappys (which run for 6 hours each on battery) then the usual 12v items...lights/pumps etc.

We have no other way of coping as yet, so not all genny users are selfish high electric users on shiny boats!

I find solar panels work for me. We were moored up all day yesterday, both laptops and fridge going, panels stopping batteries from going flat.

We only ran the engine for 30 mins to get some hot water for a shower before we went to the pub. If the Alde wasn't broken, we'd not have run the engine at all.

Do you need black & white written rules before you know whether you are showing consideration for others?

Tim

I seem to have missed this.

I want to know what YOU think is appropriate.

Do you need black & white written rules before you know whether you are showing consideration for others?

Tim

Put your ear muffs on Blodwyn,]'m cutting an aperture for an engine room ventilator today,through 6mm,with my angle grinder cutter.i may be some time. bizzard. :closedeyes:

fine as long as you finish by 8pm. :-) We changed from a genny to an invertor 20yrs ago to avoid the noise problem

Sue testing to see if the forum works for me

Great stuff.Keep your the old power consumption low though. (cooked batteries ect). An angle grinder will overpower most other noises. regards bizzard. :banned: