just bought a springer

Featured Posts

just bought my first narrow boat a 30 foot springer, good engine and been replated, inside is very tired and needs updating,were do i start lol, do i rip the lot out and start again, bare in mind i wanna live on it too, do i need to get down to the floor inside and treat all the metal first then work my way up ?

just bought my first narrow boat a 30 foot springer, good engine and been replated, inside is very tired and needs updating,were do i start lol, do i rip the lot out and start again, bare in mind i wanna live on it too, do i need to get down to the floor inside and treat all the metal first then work my way up ?

What is the very least work you can get away with? Tearing a new project to pieces can often end in disaster (I've bought two cars like that very cheap)

Richard

do i need to get down to the floor inside and treat all the metal first then work my way up ?

In an ideal world, yes.

You will then know the boat completely and find any problems (do hope there are not any though)

Good luck.

Cheap tents are available. ;)

Congrats on your purchase.

Living on a 30'er will be challenging (although I know some people who have lived on less). Even more so if you are refurbing an area whilst living in the rest (or are you refurbing before moving aboard?).

Anyway..... good luck and enjoy

:cheers:

Congrats on your purchase.

Living on a 30'er will be challenging (although I know some people who have lived on less). Even more so if you are refurbing an area whilst living in the rest (or are you refurbing before moving aboard?).

Anyway..... good luck and enjoy

:cheers:

By the time you take up the space your traction engine uses you live on a thirty footer anyway.......... :lol:

Edited by mrsmelly

We sold our little Springer early this year and I still miss it but we needed a bigger boat to house our dog collection.

Have a look at the Facebook page Springer Owners Reunited - there's quite a few "friends" on there now.

I would have happily bought another bigger Springer but I couldn't find one in anything like decent condition. A lot are bought as a first boat, and either get sold on after a couple of years having had little done, or get sadly neglected as soon as the novelty wears off. I've seen all manner of wierd and wonderful DIY efforts on Springers. What you do I'd say depends on your impression of how the boat has been looked after. If it is very tired inside I would be inclined to gut it and start again. But, don't underestimate the amount of time and money it will take to get the boat as you want it.

You might prefer to have a bit of fun cruising at first before getting bogged down with a ground up renovation project.

However, one thing that does occur to me if you plan to live aboard is most Springers I think normally had a thin "rockwool" type insulation, which is not very effective. Upgrading the insulation could be a priority if you want to live on the boat through the winter, and that does involve taking the boat apart.

Dunno how to add pictures on here, just tried the water, not good wter pump spraying water everwere and do any fellow springer owners know why on filling the water tank up and takin a walk while doing so , on my return it looks like a river in there lol, have i overfilled or could there be a hole in tank or has a pipe come off or summot, and how do i get to the tank to inspect, i be full of problems with this one but all good fun

I'm refurbing a 29 foot boat which is gutted inside and all I can say it think long and hard.

Stripping a boat out can take months as jobs that seem easy and you think can be done in an hour end up taking two days!

My boats fiberglass though so I'm having to do a he'll of a lot of prep work on the exterior before jumping indoors.

If any external work needs doing do that 1st while the weathers better or at least supposed to be.

All the best and remember to enjoy yourself even when you end up swearing a lot !

Anyone any pictures of there 30ft springers to give me some ideas about good layout, i really think mine needs gutting and new floor down, start from scratch

I'm on a 27 foot v bottom SPringer which I took pretty well back to bare metal top to bottom inside, including a new floor.

Pictures are on my blog, link below.

Depending on the layout of your water filler, the hose may have put more water in than the overflow could handle.

Edited by ThePiglet