Ellsmere Port Easter historic boat gathering...

Featured Posts

Here are a few pictures of the Mersey Crossing on 28th April following the Easter Gathering at Ellesmere Port

<Snipped some great pictures>

Lovely pictures. It looks like you had the perfect weather for it.

Lovely pictures. It looks like you had the perfect weather for it.

Cheers Ben. Yes the weather was perfect.The 5 o clock start made it all the more memorable. I cant take any praise for the pictures as my wife took them.

The run out of liverpool was just as memorable. For all the right reasons.

I would recommend a trip to and through liverpool to anyone. I guess its home turf for the Beatty but its all new cut to me.

I didn't get any pics on the river coming back, too busy steering, but here we were leaving Eastham:-

EasthamKennet-1.jpg

and here somewhere between Ince and the weaver, passing the Loach on its way from Frodsham back to Liverpool for another load of wheat:-

LoachMSC-2.jpg

Tim

Yep the two little tugs firstly pulled Sandbach into the narrow lock, and then assisted George in winding the boat so he could go back and moor up in the upper basin!

I can confirm that I gave the little tugs no help whatsoever. I was carefully looking for a true neutral all the time. (The gearbox has a tendency to creep into gear).

When I was backing out to return to my mooring I thought "she's coming round well". The I looked over the side and saw THREE of the little blighters pushing my bow sideways for all they were worth!

George ex nb Alton retired.

From the left - [unknown], Emily Anne, Grange, Marcellus, Skylark, Whitby, Gerald No. 13, Victoria, Lion/Crown, Beatty, Archimedes, Darley, Swallow (I think), Dove, and Elizabeth

20110423162920202.jpg

Lovely pictures, thanks for posting. The unknown to the left of Emily Anne is our boat Taurus.

Cheers,

Allyson

From the left - [unknown], Emily Anne, Grange, Marcellus, Skylark, Whitby, Gerald No. 13, Victoria, Lion/Crown, Beatty, Archimedes, Darley, Swallow (I think), Dove, and Elizabeth

Have you got Grange and Lion mixed up?

Edited by Speedwheel

Oi! Blast from the past! Where you been?

I missed you. You were nice.

Hello Carl,

I've been around and about, I lurk from time to time...it's so lovely to be missed. Edited to say...How are you, 'twas very rude of me not to ask :-)

Edited by allybsc

Have you got Grange and Lion mixed up?

No, I don't think so.

We were right next to Lion, and Grange is easily recognisable with it's full length blue conversion.

On a side note, Lion has very fine bows - there's very clear contrast with the two boats next to her - Victoria and Beatty.

Just for interest's sake, here are my shots of the bows of the boats. I think I should have moved for a straighter view of each but never mind.

20110423162944204.jpg

20110423163016205.jpg

20110423163026206.jpg

20110423163036207.jpg

20110423163046208.jpg

20110423163055209.jpg

20110423163105210.jpg

20110423163123211.jpg

20110423163134212.jpg

20110423163148213.jpg

20110423163201214.jpg

20110423163216215.jpg

I have to say that I'm not brilliant at recognising different types of boats but I think I've got quite a variety of styles there.

• 2 weeks later...

Right! I have finally uploaded my video of our 29th April crossing of the Mersey ... and here it is:

Description:

"Apart from being quite shaky footage, I am quite pleased with this.

This shows our journey from Ellesmere Port to Salthouse Dock, Liverpool in April 2011. We went down the Ship Canal to the River Mersey, went down river then crossed to Brunswick Lock and finally made our way through the dock system to Salthouse Dock.

It was a very easy trip - the weather was very kind to us. I have included timings in the video so you can get an idea of how long each part of the journey took. We were pushing an incoming tide as we went down the Mersey so it was quite slow-going out on the river but great fun!

The music is from Incompetech.com, by Kevin MacLeod.

We left Liverpool using the (relatively) newly constructed link and I will upload a video of that part of the journey in due course."

Edited by grunders

I love the video but Im afraid I struggle with the music. My opinion only.

Thanks for posting.

Yes, I can understand the struggle with the music.

I start with the theory that the real sound is probably better than music. However, once you get people talking and the editing means you have snatches of random conversation this seems less of a good idea. Then, of course, the editing program randomly decides that it will delete all the audio from the video clips when joining them so I didn't have the option of using real sound at all (darn you, computer!).

Then it's a choice of no sound at all or music. Youtube's system for recognising copyrighted music is quite good and I always feel guilty getting a 'copyright warning' so I don't tend to use 'commercial music' but then again I feel that a video with no sound is very boring and, of course, if someone doesn't like the music, they can turn the volume down or off.

Anyway, it sounds like you heard what I decided to do in the end.

I'd quite like to get someone to write a score for my videos but I think they need to be of a much higher quality before I can justify any expense to pay for such a privilege.

I probably would have gone for a mix of the actual sound and music but, given the problems explained above, I just went for music.

Glad you enjoyed it despite the music.

I shall do a Liverpool Link video and try to use the real sound as much as possible (assuming my computer is playing nicely).

Yes, many thanks for the video. I must confess to reaching for the mute button a bit sharpish though.

Both yours and Mike Askin's films give enough view of big water crossings in narrow boats to ensure I personally will never participate! Nice to see mountains, but I'll let others climb them. I'll take the meander through meadows and puddle bank. We have been tideway; Trent and Thames down to Southend pier, but sticking the nose into the bank and jumping off onto grass is a greater attraction. Nice to see it though, many thanks.

Derek