Ellsmere Port Easter historic boat gathering...

Featured Posts

We couldn't get - did anybody grab any pictures or videos??

Please post them up if you did....

I didn't take any pics there, but I put a couple of pics of the boats which went across to Liverpool in the 'Liverpool Link' thread yesterday.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

A few pictures taken in Chester and Ellesmere Port.

Boats gather in the basin at Chester before heading to The Port.

20110421125612100.jpg

Everybody is watching the arrival of a couple more boats (Kangaroo and Jaguar)

20110421175753112.jpg

Some boats have already left for Ellesmere Port when this was taken. There is a much bigger gap for boats to navigate through than earlier in the day.

20110421220510128.jpg

Friday morning at Chester

20110422070219130.jpg

Boats in the lower basin at Ellesmere Port

20110422134455144.jpg

More boats in the lower basin at Ellesmere Port

20110422140223149.jpg

Another shot of boats in the lower basin

20110422140243150.jpg

Night shot showing a variety of bow shapes/styles

20110422214817180.jpg

Boats in the upper basin at Ellesmere Port

20110422221259187.jpg

Lower basin again

20110423134600192.jpg

Bows of boats in the upper basin

20110423165921234.jpg

Sterns of the boats in the upper basin at night

20110423220814236.jpg

Sterns of the boats in the upper basin in the daylight

20110424084535246.jpg

Worcester with 30 hp Bolinder takes on Kangaroo and Jaguar, each with a 15 hp Bolinder.

20110424131434254.jpg

The second tug of war -Kangaroo and Jaguar are breasted up rather than being one in front of the other.

20110424132331258.jpg

Ben

Nice pics from Speedwheel too - love the little tugs! Did they shift SANDBACH?

Seemingly so yes. Two of them towed it into the lock (though I have to admit the being a bit skeptical about that as those gearboxes do paddle slightly in neutral) but when he was turning round they pushed his bow and, unless there was some coincidental flow, it certainly worked.

Beautiful pictures BTW Ben!

Edited by Speedwheel

Yep the two little tugs firstly pulled Sandbach into the narrow lock, and then assisted George in winding the boat so he could go back and moor up in the upper basin!

It's a shame there's no picture of you wearing that box that I'm carrying after trying to trip me up! :captain:

I think I succeeded, IIRC!

Just looking up the action shot of Dan and I carrying the barrow, with most of the water spilling out as he gets tripped up.

Seemingly so yes. Two of them towed it into the lock (though I have to admit the being a bit skeptical about that as those gearboxes do paddle slightly in neutral) but when he was turning round they pushed his bow and, unless there was some coincidental flow, it certainly worked.

Beautiful pictures BTW Ben!

I missed the miniature tug action but I'm glad I watched the tug of war between Worcester and the Narrow Boats; it was a bit more of a challenge than the Sandbach versus Bantam battle of the day before (The Bantam seemingly having a bladeful of rubbish).

Thank you for the complimentary comment about my pictures - I'm quite pleased with the night-shots which I think came out well. I think we must have been standing in practically the same spot for the Worcester/Narrow Boat battle and I will at some point upload a video to complement the Mersey Crossing pictures you've added to the Liverpool Link thread.

I missed the miniature tug action but I'm glad I watched the tug of war between Worcester and the Narrow Boats; it was a bit more of a challenge than the Sandbach versus Bantam battle of the day before (The Bantam seemingly having a bladeful of rubbish).

Thank you for the complimentary comment about my pictures - I'm quite pleased with the night-shots which I think came out well. I think we must have been standing in practically the same spot for the Worcester/Narrow Boat battle and I will at some point upload a video to complement the Mersey Crossing pictures you've added to the Liverpool Link thread.

Me too. I thought the night shots would make superb jig-saws.

Me too. I thought the night shots would make superb jig-saws.

I agree 100% this one-

20110422214817180.jpg

Is my favourite -

What camera was used and I guess you had to use a tripod.

I agree 100% this one-

20110422214817180.jpg

Is my favourite -

What camera was used and I guess you had to use a tripod.

The camera I am using is my Panasonic FZ35/FZ38 which I am very pleased with - I like its 18x optical zoom.

I didn't actually have a proper tripod so made use of a handy wall.

At the risk of boring people with more of the same, here are some further photographs:

Bows of boats in Chester Basin - if you can name them all, have a gold star!

20110421161532109.jpg

Lead-Us, Spey and assorted Museum boats in the top basin. Don't you think that Lead-Us has the most gorgeous shape?

20110422140428152.jpg

Two Thos Clayton Tar Boats - Spey and Gifford. The recent re-decking (?) of Spey is clearly shown by the lighter planks.

20110422140717155.jpg

A lovely deckboard design on Friendship, preserved in the Museum.

20110422145537169.jpg

Another night-shot of the sterns of the Narrow Boats in the Top Basin.

20110422213303177.jpg

Gifford, at night.

20110422213722178.jpg

An alternative to the previously posted shot, this time with the funnel of the sunken steamboat visible

20110422214901181.jpg

More bows at night

20110422215024182.jpg

From the left - [unknown], Emily Anne, Grange, Marcellus, Skylark, Whitby, Gerald No. 13, Victoria, Lion/Crown, Beatty, Archimedes, Darley, Swallow (I think), Dove, and Elizabeth

20110423162920202.jpg

Sterns in the top basin at night (again)

20110423221237238.jpg

Boats in the Lower Basin (again)

20110424084210245.jpg

Right, that's definitely enough from me.

P.S. If the pictures don't load, I blame Imageshack - external link to my Imageshack profile in my signature.

Lead-Us, Spey and assorted Museum boats in the top basin. Don't you think that Lead-Us has the most gorgeous shape?

20110422140428152.jpg

Yes - Small Northwich - Lovely !

I have recently investigated owning another Small Northwich, but eventually had to abandon the idea.

I don't know the history to this one, but as I understand it, this is the front end of butty Lepus, whereas the boat actually carrying "Lepus" is based on the original butty back end.

Correct ?

If so it's a bit unusual, as generally with cut butyys where both ends are used I think it's the front end that retains the name.

I don't suppose it's for sale, is it ? :wub:

Or anything like it.....

(Keeps dreaming!....)

Roger's pride and joy!

I shared the locks with Lead-Us between The Port and Bunbury. During the trip I'm sure I heard Roger's better half say that it was somebody in the museum who built the fore end onto the hull for Roger. I couldn't hear properly with the running water and with the noisy HA2 banging away in front of me so I could be wrong.

Lead-Us moves very well through the water and was excellently turned out.

I have recently investigated owning another Small Northwich, but eventually had to abandon the idea.

I don't know the history to this one, but as I understand it, this is the front end of butty Lepus, whereas the boat actually carrying "Lepus" is based on the original butty back end.

Correct ?

If so it's a bit unusual, as generally with cut butyys where both ends are used I think it's the front end that retains the name.

Or anything like it.....

(Keeps dreaming!....)

99% sure you're right yes.

It is a very beautiful boat and Roger is such a nice guy - he does very nice painting too.

Yes I think we were. I was sat on the gate (next to Kerry and Liam I think) with Reuben (who was asking lots and lots and lots of questions!)

Look forward to the Video.

You're/your edit.

Edited by Speedwheel

Correct ?

Or anything like it.....

(Keeps dreaming!....)

Absolutely 100% correct.

In my opinion both ends of a boat cut in two should retain the original name, unless the owner wishes to rename either end of course.

Roger's pride and joy!

I shared the locks with Lead-Us between The Port and Bunbury. During the trip I'm sure I heard Roger's better half say that it was somebody in the museum who built the fore end onto the hull for Roger. I couldn't hear properly with the running water and with the noisy HA2 banging away in front of me so I could be wrong.

Lead-Us moves very well through the water and was excellently turned out.

LEAD-US is the fore end of the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. Small Northwich butty LEPUS, the motor counter conversion being carried out by Ian Kemp, Ellesmere Port in 1983/84. At that time Roger was the Lock Keeper at Diglis, Worcester and LEAD-US replaced the equally well turned out tug HASTY (built by Canal Transport Services Ltd., Norton Canes).

Ian Kemp is still building / restoring narrow boats at Dadfords Shed, near Stourbridge.

Edited by pete harrison