Reliable diesel heating

CaptainKidd

Featured Posts

Hello.

I am interested in installing a diesel central heating system on my new build widebeam. I will be liveing aboard full time and have heard a lot of bad things about some of the systems on the marked (ie Eberspacher)

Does anyone know if the Kabola E3 or E5 is more reliable?

Thanks.

I am interested in installing a diesel central heating system on my new build widebeam. I will be liveing aboard full time and have heard a lot of bad things about some of the systems on the marked (ie Eberspacher)

From comments on this board, the drip fed heaters have the best rep. For forced heaters the Hurricane seems to be the best, although with the latest version it's been reported to be sensitive to voltage drops.

Most of the other forced diesel heaters are basically pre-heaters, so like to be on for a while and not cycled (so only use a timer, not a temperature thingy). Also run it on the cleaner "white" diesel, although red sold on the cut will be to this standard soon?

Had a Kabola E5 from new, seven years ago. Bullet proof.

Andy.

That's very good to know. From my research the drip fed boilers seem the best bet for heavy use. Do you think a Kabola E3 or E5 would be best for a 57 by 10 widebeam?

Ed

I have a Harworth pressure jet boiler which has been very good. It was fitted on mine to replace an unreliable Eberspacher apparently. I live aboard all year...

http://www.oilstoves.co.uk/appres.php?select=Boilers&select3=All&select2=Oil&select4=All&Submit=+++++Search+Shop+++++

Not sure if that link will work but it might point you in the direction...

Lockgate Refleks stoves might be worth a look... ours is very good, provided you keep filters clean and the backboiler defurred every now and again....

takes much less time than lumping bags of coal about, runs on red diesel

http://www.lockgate-stoves.co.uk/

is the manufacturer - or atleast they adapt them for inland waterways craft

http://www.oilstoves.co.uk/appres.php?select=Stoves&select3=All&select2=Oil&select4=All

is a good resource for comparing prices, never brought from there mind...

Hello.

Thanks.

There is NOTHING wrong with an Eberspacher, like all mechanical/electrical devices, there are a few Must Do's and many Don't Do's.

Make sure you size the heater correctly, don't buy a larger unit (more capacity) than you need. a 5DW is perfect for a boat

Ensure you have FULL voltage to the unit. (they don't like low voltage)

Give the burner CLEAN uncontaminated fuel.

Run the unit frequently, even in summer, they don't like being left in damp engine rooms.

Remember, Eberspacher make thousands of unit for vehicle application, the technology is well know and proven, it seems that boaters are neglectful when it comes to diesel heaters. Treat it like what it is, a precision instrument to make hot water,

Remember, Size the unit correctly, not too small, not too large, full voltage, clean fuel and regular running.

• Greenie 2

There is NOTHING wrong with an Eberspacher, like all mechanical/electrical devices, there are a few Must Do's and many Don't Do's.

Make sure you size the heater correctly, don't buy a larger unit (more capacity) than you need. a 5DW is perfect for a boat

Run the unit frequently, even in summer, they don't like being left in damp engine rooms.

Remember, Eberspacher make thousands of unit for vehicle application, the technology is well know and proven, it seems that boaters are neglectful when it comes to diesel heaters. Treat it like what it is, a precision instrument to make hot water,

Remember, Size the unit correctly, not too small, not too large, full voltage, clean fuel and regular running.

You have put your finger on three problems for narrowboaters

Full voltage: I don't think many of the boats on this forum are capable of supplying this continously

Clean Fuel: Another problem I don't think the fuel they can obtain could be described as clean, its bought in small lots and stored for months (I mean the fuel depots before it even gets to the end user)

Regular running :- Most of the boats here are used infrequently, and the heating systems even less so

So either the users change their habits, or the Eberspracher is not the right tool for their requirements.

Mind I have had enough problems with these units on Artics, mostly because they are out of use 5 months of the year.

I know very little about diesel heaters but some make an infuriating (to others) noise.

Mainly due to not been installed with a silencer. The pre-heater types like Eberspacher are the ones your on about. The drip fed ones are ofcourse quiet.

I know very little about diesel heaters but some make an infuriating (to others) noise.

Sue

Ours is quieter than a lot - but it is fitted with a small silencer on the exhaust, similar to that fitted to a car only very much smaller.

As it happens ours does get run in summer as it can supply our hot water too, so that is useful to know.

Edited by MJG

The main difference between road vehicles and boats is the fuel used, for Eberspacher, Webasto and Mikuni to run cleanly they need low sulphur fuel which up till now has been generally unavailable in red diesel form.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Also the installation on the water side can cause problems. If the heat output (rads etc) doesn't match the heater output or the water short cycles through a calorifier without a check valve then this also causes issues.

Eberspacher did a technical bulletin about this. It should be useful advice for any diesel heater. Copy should be below - I'm going to try and see if this works. (edit - second time lucky)

pdf file: Technical Bulletin Number 281.pdf

Edited by Speedwheel

Lockgate Reflex - mind-numbingly simple! No moving parts, everything in it beautifully over-engineered, fantastically simple. Do you want an easy life or do you want a complicated one?

One downside is lack of timing facilities though, and you'll need some other method of heating the water in summer months if it's the only method of heating (although do they just do boiler types as well?). The Reflex is at the top of my shopping list though for heating when I get to that stage of fit out.

or try a Heritage stove, runs on diesel red or white or heating oil or blends of all 3 without issue. almost silent in use, ueses a 7 day 24/7 timer,

very happy with ours after 2 years plus,,,,

widen your options!

One downside is lack of timing facilities though, and you'll need some other method of heating the water in summer months if it's the only method of heating (although do they just do boiler types as well?). The Reflex is at the top of my shopping list though for heating when I get to that stage of fit out.

Not necessarily. I've plumbed mine in so that the Refleks heats just the calorifier in the summer. This means the stove only has to be on for about 45 mins to give me all the hot water I need for the day.

Not necessarily. I've plumbed mine in so that the Refleks heats just the calorifier in the summer. This means the stove only has to be on for about 45 mins to give me all the hot water I need for the day.

I'm looking at the Reflex 2000KVT, it's rated at 4.2Kw, 2.5Kw water. So about 60% of the power is used for water heating, with the other 40% into the room.

For me personally this won't be an issue, as I having moorings with electric at the moment. I was going to get a Hurricane to replace my Mikuni (that currently doesn't like working!), but I've had second thoughts recently as it sounds like the Refleks with back boiler will be all I need with the Mikuni as a 2nd heater if needed.

The Kabola E5 I installed to heat the lined hold of a large Woolwich has heated four radiators and a large hot water tank on its lowest setting until I believe it created the current heatwave. Best points are that it is truly silent and its Bolin 12v water circulation pump is ultra quiet and uses tiny amounts of battery power. Consequently, with a hand start National engine, I achieved the aim of having no gas and only two 12v batteries on board. The second battery is for the tunnel light and a TV. Interior lights are by LED fittings with their own batteries, not counting the oil lamp in the boatmans cabin of course, which also houses the Epping stove for cooking.

I've got an E5 in a 70' narrowboat running 5 rads and a cauliflower. I certainly wouldnt want anything larger as it's often running on it's lowest setting. Bear in mind that it uses 4-5 litres /day when running. I bought and installed it when diesel was a lot cheaper, but would probably try it on kerosene if installing it now!

Sue

In the days when my Eberspacher worked (never more than five tiems in a row) it sounded like a Harrier Jumpjet taking off. I can say that with some suthority having experienced both on more than one occasion!

• 3 weeks later...

OOoh, that sounds intriguing, how did you do that?

This is our only complaint with the refleks, having to sit with the heating on in the summer when its 25 degrees out because we want to have a bath or do the washing!

OOoh, that sounds intriguing, how did you do that?

This is our only complaint with the refleks, having to sit with the heating on in the summer when its 25 degrees out because we want to have a bath or do the washing!

Could you not just turn off the radiators? or do like we have and fit an immersion