thieves !!

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Have you lost yours'? - or has a neighbour, or did you overhear members of some dastardly gang planning a 'Tiller heist'?

Between Christmas and New Year some guys, high viz jackets and all, in white vans put up nice barriers round telephone manholes on the street outside our office and proceeded to steal the telephone cables. To me a telephone cable is mostly insulation so I'm so surprised that they would steal them.

Now a tiller handle is a decent weight .... Thanks the hint Onionbargee.

Just been reminded that we met a boat last year who reported that they had their tiller handle stolen whilst filling their water tank at Cowley Lock (which I would think was a perfectly safe place).

It seems reasonable to me that if people are climbing on to roofs to unscrew brass mushroom vents, a brass tiller bar is more quickly removed, and represents a lot more metal in a single hit. I guess we should not be surprised.

I think I would often remove one if I had stopped to fill up with water, but I'll admit not so much because I expected to get it nicked, as because I always try and remove it when not boating, so as not to crack my head on it!.

Just been reminded that we met a boat last year who reported that they had their tiller handle stolen whilst filling their water tank at Cowley Lock (which I would think was a perfectly safe place).

No, it is as good as Uxbridge! :lol:

Between Christmas and New Year some guys, high viz jackets and all, in white vans put up nice barriers round telephone manholes on the street outside our office and proceeded to steal the telephone cables. To me a telephone cable is mostly insulation so I'm so surprised that they would steal them.

Now a tiller handle is a decent weight .... Thanks the hint Onionbargee.

Miles upon miles of unused cables lie underground disconnected ready for the taking , most of it has been left there because when new stuff is installed it never paid to remove it , thieves now take advantage of this gold mine and they probably took a live cable by mistake .

Some people spend full days below ground cutting the cable into manageable size before making an exit.

At a hospital site "closed" the extra thick copper underground piping that served every bit of the hospital was stripped out completely , the conduit was no bigger than 2ft sqaure but lads spent several days underground to get a huge pay day at the end of the long shift.

Miles upon miles of unused cables lie underground disconnected ready for the taking , most of it has been left there because when new stuff is installed it never paid to remove it , thieves now take advantage of this gold mine and they probably took a live cable by mistake .

Some people spend full days below ground cutting the cable into manageable size before making an exit.

At a hospital site "closed" the extra thick copper underground piping that served every bit of the hospital was stripped out completely , the conduit was no bigger than 2ft sqaure but lads spent several days underground to get a huge pay day at the end of the long shift.

When we closed one of our old sites when the hospital was replaced the old site was plundered in days for its wiring, radiators and pipe work.

I 'lost' a mushroom vent in Middlewich in January. And a watering can in Chester this month. First probably theft. Second probably prank. All very unpredictable, since I don't regard either town as dodgy. Nor Nantwich .. but I cruised out of the marina there yesterday, clutching a warning notice from the local police about recent thefts from narrowboats.

Is it recession? During the notorious 1980s, crime - especially theft - was said to have risen .. the cheap way of getting things you can't afford and resent someone else having. David Cameron's 'broken society', which his coalition's policies are only going to make worse?

Is it recession? During the notorious 1980s, crime - especially theft - was said to have risen .. the cheap way of getting things you can't afford and resent someone else having. David Cameron's 'broken society', which his coalition's policies are only going to make worse?

For God's sake! Cameron's been in office for a matter of months. If society is broken, it was Brown and Blair (who were in chrge for umpteen years) who broke it, letting in millions of immigrants and simultaneously building up their own voting base by allowing millions more to choose a life on benefits. Don't like indulging in politics here, but you started it!

:smiley_offtopic:

• Greenie 4

For God's sake! Cameron's been in office for a matter of months. If society is broken, it was Brown and Blair (who were in chrge for umpteen years) who broke it, letting in millions of immigrants and simultaneously building up their own voting base by allowing millions more to choose a life on benefits. Don't like indulging in politics here, but you started it!

Inclined to massively agree 100%

• Greenie 1

I agree about the Brown failures, but what are the Tory coalition doing to mend it, not a lot :banghead:

:o

Blimey you are on the wrong forum to post sensible offerings like this, surely the labour government, communism and the Bnp are far better at the job than the present lot........... ;)

If society is broken, it was Brown and Blair (who were in charge for umpteen years) who broke it

It was Thatcher wot broke it, but I agree that nobody since then has done anything much about it

>> letting in millions of immigrants <<

I submit, sir, that you are mistaken: bear in mind that overseas workers do all the crap jobs that many 'civilised' people (including you and me) wouldn't even consider doing. The eastern European craftsmen have largely gone home now that there's no money here.

>>> and simultaneously building up their own voting base by allowing millions more to choose a life on benefits.

Evidence? Let's not allow a simple truth to get in the way of nasty prejudice. People on benefits or low fixed incomes are statistically much less likely to vote at all.

And as another thread is demonstrating, there are plenty of people on benefits who would love to work if they could - but where are the jobs now that there's no public investment?

Cutting off benefits from those who are physically unable to work is barbaric.

It was Thatcher wot broke it, but I agree that nobody since then has done anything much about it

I submit, sir, that you are mistaken: bear in mind that overseas workers do all the crap jobs that many 'civilised' people (including you and me) wouldn't even consider doing. The eastern European craftsmen have largely gone home now that there's no money here.

Evidence? Let's not allow a simple truth to get in the way of nasty prejudice. People on benefits or low fixed incomes are statistically much less likely to vote at all.

And as another thread is demonstrating, there are plenty of people on benefits who would love to work if they could - but where are the jobs now that there's no public investment?

Cutting off benefits from those who are physically unable to work is barbaric.

Like Pavlov's dogs, and oh so predictably, these days the liberal left only feels comfortable when it invokes the spectre of Margaret Thatcher. Is it barbaric to cut off benefits from those who are physically able to work? If you are a taxpayer, are you happy to fund this lifestyle? I'm a pensioner, paying tax on a hard-won pension, and I am not!

Isn't that what you just did, for Blair and Brown?

For what, exactly, should Brown & Blair be given credit?

Edited by homer2911

Like Pavlov's dogs, and oh so predictably, these days the liberal left only feels comfortable when it invokes the spectre of Margaret Thatcher. Is it barbaric to cut off benefits from those who are physically able to work? If you are a taxpayer, are you happy to fund this lifestyle? I'm a pensioner, paying tax on a hard-won pension, and I am not!

Liberal left rhetoric may be boring, even a bit irritating, at times.

It just doesn't seem quite so unpleasant as right-wing rhetoric.

If funding a scrounger's lifestyle is the price for making sure people with a genuine need don't slip through the net then yes, I think that is a price worth paying.

For what, exactly, should Brown & Blair be given credit?

I'm no supporter of either of them, so don't intend to try to balance their mistakes, by listing their successes but, if forced to make the choice, I'd rather have a thousand years of Blair/Brown than one day of Thatcher.

If funding a scrounger's lifestyle is the price for making sure people with a genuine need don't slip through the net then yes, I think that is a price worth paying.

How..the heck...did this start of with some considerate person warning us all to be careful as brass thieves were about...and end up about politics..??!!

People really do go off topic don't they !!

Oh..by the way..Punxatawny Phil ..the groundhog...spotted a shadow...and so an early spring is predicted..

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

OK, now tell me how many people on benefit have a genuine need, compared to those who have chosen to live a life on benefits. If you do not believe that there is a very significant proportion of the latter, being funded by me and every other taxpayer, then you are deluded.