Moorings Management Proposals

matty40s

Featured Posts

Where does it say 'whole of the system'? It's 'significant part of the network' IIRC. I can't see anything in the law or guidelines that requires you to use more than one BW waterway, let alone all of them.

I was paraphrasing but the actual words are:

Such journey or cruise must take place "throughout the period of [the licence]" and therefore requires progression around the network, or at least a significant part of it.

Thus short trips within the same area, "bridge hopping" and shuttling backwards and forwards along a smaller part of the network does NOT meet the legal requirement for continuous cruising. The law requires a genuine progressive journey (a cruise) around the network or significant part of it.

We are back to interpretation now because, in my opinion, shuttling up and down the same stretch of waterway is not making a "a genuine progressive journey (a cruise) around the network or significant part of it"...it is merely moving backwards and forwards along the same stretch.

Edited to say: I would add, though, that in my opinion moving every two weeks, navigating gradually from one end of a waterway, and back again, does comply fully, with the law.

Edited by carlt

So how can you comment?

Nabo consults the views of its members and acts accordingly. If you are a Nabo member you would have been asked for your opinion. Are you a member?

If not, then you can hardly expect grounds to criticise their reactions.

If you are, then you are entitled to a response from council, who's meetings you are entitled to attend.

Tone

Woa! Easy tiger! I am not criticising, I am asking what NABO is doing and how it came to that decision. The answer that members have been canvassed is most reassuring and nicely democratic. I have not "critisised", I have enquired. Do I get an answer? Or is the canvassing result not yet correlated?

I was paraphrasing but the actual words are:

We are back to interpretation now because, in my opinion, shuttling up and down the same stretch of waterway is not making a "a genuine progressive journey (a cruise) around the network or significant part of it"...it is merely moving backwards and forwards along the same stretch.

Sure, but how long does that stretch need to be? How soon is it permissible to retrace your steps?

The new arrangements for the L&S suggest that BW think it's fine to shuttle up and down every three months. So is six 'places' enough everywhere on the system?

You can easily take six months CCing from Oxford to Banbury. Is that an insignificant part of the network? Is it really unacceptable to turn up back in Oxford a year after you left? The signs in Oxford say no return within 48 days, so does that mean a 7 week shuffle-cycle is enough?

So, in order to find out about the internal democracy of NABO, you have to join first?

Isn't that what carlt is complaining about?

I'm a member of NABO

I have heard absolutly nothing from them since the day I joined .........................4 years ago!!!!

Can I have your latest update on your endeavours on behalf on the members.

Can I expect a PM shortly ? Can I report back to the forum?

Alex

Sure, but how long does that stretch need to be? How soon is it permissible to retrace your steps?

The new arrangements for the L&S suggest that BW think it's fine to shuttle up and down every three months. So is six 'places' enough everywhere on the system?

You can easily take six months CCing from Oxford to Banbury. Is that an insignificant part of the network? Is it really unacceptable to turn up back in Oxford a year after you left? The signs in Oxford say no return within 48 days, so does that mean a 7 week shuffle-cycle is enough?

If that constitutes "a significant part" of a 2000 mile network then why is there any need for the guidelines?

The law (BWA Act 1995) seems to have it covered, without the constant reinterpretation, by BW.

In my opinion, though, a 50 mile stretch is not a significant part of a 2000 mile system so BW's guidelines seem at odds with both the law and how BW behave, on the ground.

If you only cover 5 counties then you are not making "a continuous journey, throughout the whole of the system", so in fact, you only follow the bits of the guidelines that you feel you need to.

Ooooooo your cutting off circulation to vital organs with your twisted knickers, careful they might drop off!!

Ooooooo your cutting off circulation to vital organs with your twisted knickers, careful they might drop off!!

I may only cover 5 counties this year myself,yet I will still be makeing a progressive journey,I see the same old faces in the same old places time after time,so whats with the negative feed back to a person such as tigster who does her best to comply

To help who? Have NABO canvassed their membership for their opinions? There are a lot of people out there who hate these proposals and a lot who support them, how have NABO decided which way to jump?

Nabo has taken legal advice and will come down on the side of the law not made up guidelines.

Sue

So, in order to find out about the internal democracy of NABO, you have to join first?

Isn't that what carlt is complaining about?

N.o I have already explained about Nabo democracy in another thread. You can look on the nabo web site for more information.

Sue

I'm a member of NABO

I have heard absolutly nothing from them since the day I joined .........................4 years ago!!!!

Alex

Alex I am sorry you haven't been receiving Nabo News or seen the website. Please send me a pm and I will find out why you aren't receiving your copy.

Sue

Nabo has taken legal advice and will come down on the side of the law not made up guidelines.

Did NABO ever publish that advice to the members who paid for it?

Their reluctance so to do was a part of the reason I walked...

so whats with the negative feed back to a person such as tigster who does her best to comply

I'm not giving 'negative feedback' (whatever that means) I'm having a discussion.

In my opinion somebody who shuttles backwards and forwards, along the same waterway, is complying with the law but not with the guidelines.

No, I'm just having a calm discussion, but thank you for your concern ;)

I'd green star this post of yours if I hadn't eaten them.

Tone (Tiger)

I'm a member of NABO

Alex

Sue has already expressed her surprise at this claim. I am horrified if it's true.

Please PM me more details.

I will certainly look into it for you, too.

Tone

Thanks for the plug for narrowboatworld :cheers:

Except, Allan, with every respect for your contributions, NBW isn't an organisation that represents anything. It is a dictatorship with a bunch of sycophant writers. I know. I was one. Woe betides you if you fall out with the dictator.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter
  • Greenie 1

Did NABO ever publish that advice to the members who paid for it?

Their reluctance so to do was a part of the reason I walked...

The advice is available to members who need it, that has been published.

Sue

I've explained once.

I think there should be an active, campaigning association, openly objecting and protesting about BW's shortcomings, not one that 'negotiates' behind closed doors, and sticking their nose in the air, when actual 'protest' is suggested.

"Protest? Oh dear no! We don't do that sort of thing, that's for common people. We prefer to negotiate."

I can see the negotiations now, NABO leaving the room saying "Oh, I think that went rather well." with BW waving them off, thumb touching forefinger behind their back.

and when one of the chief defenders of the NABO, on this forum, comes out with crap like "If you want 240V have you considered a park home?" then this just reinforces my point.

Carl... the above sounds more like a criticism of Save Our Waterways, that started as a protest organisation and then went soft (which is why I left) than of Nabo.

Your scenario just doesn't happen. I've been to many a meeting with BW. I have never seen anyone sticking their nose in the air or BW staff congratulating themselves behind their backs. Usually they are very wary.

And the fact of life is, protest without negotiation is mindlessness.

Tone

Carl... the above sounds more like a criticism of Save Our Waterways, that started as a protest organisation and then went soft (which is why I left) than of Nabo.

Nope, sounds to me like the NABO...

Nabo doesn't organise protests.

Except, Allan, with every respect for your contributions, NBW isn't an organisation that represents anything. It is a dictatorship with a bunch of sycophant writers. I know. I was one. Woe betides you if you fall out with the dictator.

Tone

I continue to walk the tightrope in full knowledge that NBW will publish where advertising based monthlies will not. If I fall off, then please catch me!

I'm a member of NABO

Alex

Is that not obtaining monies through deception (tongue in cheek)

Is that not obtaining monies through deception (tongue in cheek)

Well... it would be, (not tongue in cheek), but one allegation on a forum does not make policy. I think this needs investigating on the individual's behalf. If Steelaway ( a great name!) would like to PM me, I'll get on to it.

Tone

Nabo PR Rep as of next week (possibly!).