Moorings Management Proposals

matty40s

Featured Posts

There seem to be relatively few responses regarding those aspects of the plan which will affect the rest of us.

i.e. the right to moor for 14 days removed from a large part of the rivers and the redefinition of place to give only 6 on the entire river.

Also the punitive overstaying charges.

Just a suggestion but maybe boaters from other parts of the system who anticipate visiting the Lea and Stort and might be affected by this whether continuous cruiser or not might care to submit a response to the consultation!

Seems fine to me when as and when I go up the Lea and Stort provided that I can find somewhere to moor overnight or for a day or so it wont affect me

I could write in support of the proposals if you would like :P

Edited by idleness

Seems fine to me when as and when I go up the Lea and Stort provided that I can find somewhere to moor overnight or for a day or so it wont affect me

I could write in support of the proposals if you would like :P

Your problem might be finding water when you get there. Enforced traffic means enforced lock passages, and boats already get stuck in places with current traffic levels.

Happy holidays. I do hope you get stuck in a particularly inconvenient pound.:)

Your problem might be finding water when you get there. Enforced traffic means enforced lock passages, and boats already get stuck in places with current traffic levels.

Happy holidays. I do hope you get stuck in a particularly inconvenient pound.:)

Is that a good reason to flout the cc rules?

Sue

Sue

No, I can't see that it would be.

I was referring to BW's decision to make every CCer do the entire length 4-5 times a year when they could just do it once a year and stay within the current CC rules.

It suggests they don't really have a concept of traffic and water supply, or how these will impact on other river users.

It's not clear that they've done the maths for the number of moorings per neighbourhood, either. It won't work if some neighbourhoods have 50 moorings and all the adjacent ones have 10.

I'm not sure they've thought it through. At all. :)

Sue

If the cc rules are to the detriment of the whole boating community then it is probably better to stick to them rigidly, so the stupidity of them is demonstrated, when boat movement grinds to a halt.

Call it a boaters 'work to rule', if you like.

Edited by carlt

Perhaps we should pilot the new rules with a month long game of musical moorings, strictly obeying the new rules, of course. See how many days it takes to drain a few key pounds and leave everyone stranded. :)

Don't need to - it only took a little bit of boat movement to ground us yesterday. If these proposals actually happened I wouldn't be able to boat at all. My mooring really needs dredging, but there is no money to do it.

Don't need to - it only took a little bit of boat movement to ground us yesterday. If these proposals actually happened I wouldn't be able to boat at all. My mooring really needs dredging, but there is no money to do it.

There probably was money to dredge, but sadly, BW decided to blow it on one of their hair brained property deals, then............. Lost it all

I suppose if they spent the money intended for enforcement of the Lea and Stort mooring scheme on dredging instead then the problem might be sorted and the boats could move!?, but then of course they would have no money to force the boats to move, still seems less of a waste of money though

There probably was money to dredge, but sadly, BW decided to blow it on one of their hair brained property deals, then............. Lost it all

My hobby horse at the moment is that last year BW committed £4m to buy more marinas for BWML and also spent £9m in a failed attempt to prevent the pub partnership with S&N entering administration. At the same time they reduced spending on maintenance by roughly the same amount (£101.6m down to £89.2m).

£13m is more than they have spent on dredging in years!

I seem to recall IWA publishing BW figures showing that the dredging problem is less in recent years. Unfortunately, the website is down at the moment.

Does anyone, other than the IWA believe the situation is getting better?

That's precisely why I think we should do it. Never, ever try a protest stunt like this without knowing what the outcome will be. ;)

Perhaps BW could be persuaded to run a pilot weekend. CCers tend to all move on the same day (usually a Saturday). Why don't they invite all consultees to indulge in their usual activities under the new rules for a weekend, with all CCers encouraged to seek new moorings according to the new rules that weekend?

My hobby horse at the moment is that last year BW committed £4m to buy more marinas for BWML and also spent £9m in a failed attempt to prevent the pub partnership with S&N entering administration. At the same time they reduced spending on maintenance by roughly the same amount (£101.6m down to £89.2m).

£13m is more than they have spent on dredging in years!

I seem to recall IWA publishing BW figures showing that the dredging problem is less in recent years. Unfortunately, the website is down at the moment.

Does anyone, other than the IWA believe the situation is getting better?

We are shallow-drafted (2') and could not get into the side near Hatton station (Grand Union, top of Hatton locks) a few weeks ago. I'm sure the piled bits would have been fine, but one side of the bridge they're opposite a lot of residents and very close to a house, and the other side of the bridge they're right outside the house. We run our engine a fair bit, so we went a bit further down to be out of anyone's earshot. Couldn't get both ends in for about 400 yards, and finally settled for having the stern sticking out a couple of feet.

The water didn't appear to be particularly low at the time. It's a really good spot for transport, with trains to easy shopping and free parking at the station. I'd think a lot of people use that spot before a day going down Hatton. I was very surprised to have problems there.

We are shallow-drafted (2') and could not get into the side near Hatton station (Grand Union, top of Hatton locks) a few weeks ago. I'm sure the piled bits would have been fine, but one side of the bridge they're opposite a lot of residents and very close to a house, and the other side of the bridge they're right outside the house. We run our engine a fair bit, so we went a bit further down to be out of anyone's earshot. Couldn't get both ends in for about 400 yards, and finally settled for having the stern sticking out a couple of feet.

The water didn't appear to be particularly low at the time. It's a really good spot for transport, with trains to easy shopping and free parking at the station. I'd think a lot of people use that spot before a day going down Hatton. I was very surprised to have problems there.

I moor on the eight mile pound (as it is called locally) and can confirm that this so called wide canal is very shallow in places. Perhaps one of the problems (apart from lack of dredging) is that, being wide, boats wander and do not create a channel as happens on narrow canals.

Certainly, getting into the side to moor where it says "Dredge to 3' 6" can be a problem!

Despite being eight miles long, fluctuation in water levels is a fairly common occurrence.