Hole in one

Terence

Featured Posts

Hi. Was walking along the toe path, arm in arm with my good lady wife, when suddenly the earth gave way under foot. I thought the Devil had finally come to get me. All the way up to the knee I went down. When my wife and two passer-by’s had stopped laughing they pulled me out :lol: Ended with a soggy foot and dirty pants.

(have reported the hole to BW, it's between bridge 91 and the water point near Braunston Marina.) :construction:

Hole.jpg

Hole2.jpg

So be careful.

Terence :(

If it's like around here, with luck BW will come and stick a number of those metal poles with a hook at the top around it, then string that bright orange plastic "netting" on, so you can see it is there.

This is becoming an increasing problem, and we have quite a few like it around here.

In some of the cases the tow-path is effectively a fairly narrow embankment between the cut, and residential land to the other side, often much lower than the canal.

I do wonder when we are going to see our next major breach down here.

OOPS!!!!!!

Reported one a few weeks ago just the other side of bridge 90, to where you are Terence, that was in the middle of the towpath about the same depth and it went through to the canal, big enough for a Jack Russell to crawl through and end up in the water

Lymm on the bridgewater ,always one of the old fogeys to be found running prop engaged while moored.

A huge plug of clay on the towpath side near burscough cricket club to seal a leak onto adjacent land and right next to the plug a boater runs the engine ,prop engaged and at high revs.

Why do some people insist on doing it.

• Greenie 1

Lymm on the bridgewater ,always one of the old fogeys to be found running prop engaged while moored.

A huge plug of clay on the towpath side near burscough cricket club to seal a leak onto adjacent land and right next to the plug a boater runs the engine ,prop engaged and at high revs.

Why do some people insist on doing it.

Is it because they are more concerned about a possible (*) risk of bore-glazing than they are concerned about their fellow boaters, and the environment?

(is running in neutral proven to cause glazing - or is it one of those myths that gains credence the more frequently it's repeated?)

Is it because they are more concerned about a possible (*) risk of bore-glazing than they are concerned about their fellow boaters, and the environment?

(is running in neutral proven to cause glazing - or is it one of those myths that gains credence the more frequently it's repeated?)

In my opinion - the latter

Richard

Hi. Was walking along the toe path, arm in arm with my good lady wife, when suddenly the earth gave way under foot. I thought the Devil had finally come to get me. All the way up to the knee I went down. When my wife and two passer-by’s had stopped laughing they pulled me out :lol: Ended with a soggy foot and dirty pants.

(have reported the hole to BW, it's between bridge 91 and the water point near Braunston Marina.) :construction:

Hole.jpg

Hole2.jpg

So be careful.

Terence :(

In the late 60`s that piece of towpath did the same thing several times, one of my hotel boat passengers did much the same thing [no harm done except getting a bit muddy]Seems that 40 years on not much has changed

If it's like around here, with luck BW will come and stick a number of those metal poles with a hook at the top around it, then string that bright orange plastic "netting" on, so you can see it is there.

This is becoming an increasing problem, and we have quite a few like it around here.

In some of the cases the tow-path is effectively a fairly narrow embankment between the cut, and residential land to the other side, often much lower than the canal.

I do wonder when we are going to see our next major breach down here.

In the late 60`s that piece of towpath did the same thing several times, one of my hotel boat passengers did much the same thing [no harm done except getting a bit muddy]Seems that 40 years on not much has changed

Repairs carried out. Filled hole with one of those setting bank bags, then dug soil and grass sods from hedgerow and stamped it in all around. Quality <_<

Holerepaired.jpg

Holerepaired2.jpg

Terence

• Greenie 1

It looks like the bank is leaning in towards the canal, I'd not noticed it before on that stretch.

It will soon end up like Acton Bridge and Saltersford on the Trent & Mersey where the concrete capping has parted and is slipping into the canal at an angle leaving anything from a 6 inch gap to a 2 foot gap from the bank leaving a huge hole behind it!

It looks like the bank is leaning in towards the canal, I'd not noticed it before on that stretch.

It will soon end up like Acton Bridge and Saltersford on the Trent & Mersey where the concrete capping has parted and is slipping into the canal at an angle leaving anything from a 6 inch gap to a 2 foot gap from the bank leaving a huge hole behind it!

Spot on Liam.

When I inspected the damage (after removing my leg) it seemed to tunnel from both ends of the hole about a foot. So could possibly go further.

I'm no expert but investigation would be a good idea. Or do we wait for a tsunami before anything is done. On the other hand BW might have already looked into the hole :detective: and it could be strong enough to last another 100 years.

Terence

Repairs carried out. Filled hole with one of those setting bank bags, then dug soil and grass sods from hedgerow and stamped it in all around. Quality <_<

Holerepaired.jpg

Holerepaired2.jpg

Terence

Some years ago I asked BW about injuries received to boaters stepping off the boat into long grass and falling down a hole in the tow-path which was beautifully trimmed away from the waters edge and could I sue them.? I was informed that they 'Had a duty of care' to visitors to the canals but I couldn't get them to say that also applied to boaters.

I would think that having filled in the hole without permission ( although it's the obvious thing to have done) then BW will be only too pleased to blame you should someone trip at that spot.

But.... don't go and dig it out again - they can get you for causing damage.

John H.

Some years ago I asked BW about injuries received to boaters stepping off the boat into long grass and falling down a hole in the tow-path which was beautifully trimmed away from the waters edge and could I sue them.? I was informed that they 'Had a duty of care' to visitors to the canals but I couldn't get them to say that also applied to boaters.

I would think that having filled in the hole without permission ( although it's the obvious thing to have done) then BW will be only too pleased to blame you should someone trip at that spot.

But.... don't go and dig it out again - they can get you for causing damage.

John H.

Hi John,

I think you may be under the impression that I filled the hole in. No, it was BW's emergency call out crew. They phoned me to get the exact location and were out post haste. Telling me that there could be a risk of more accidents. I've never seen them act so quickly.

Terence

C'mon get a grip, photos of holes in the towpath!

Theres some slightly misaligned concrete around here shall I take a picture? :)

Let me do that for you; as I pointed out in an earlier post, we have a hole in Manchester and BW saw fit to issue a stoppage notice here.

Well, here is the hole:

hole.jpg

Hole1.jpg

Hole2.jpg

So if you do get caught out - that is what all the fuss was about!

For non-hole lovers, here are some more snaps of a chap standing outside his city centre pad! (he is on the right)

Duck1.jpg

Duck2.jpg