Abreviations used when boating

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hello:) I thought it might be helpful to newbies like myself if we had a list of all the abbreviations used in the boating world?

Here's the start of the list:

BW - British Waterways

SWMBO - She who must be obeyed

RCR - River and Canal Rescue ???(I think)

Yes, you're right about RCR.

A few more organisations that everyone refers to by their initials are:

RBOA - Residential Boat Owners' Association

IWA - Inland Waterways Association

BWML - British Waterways Marine Limited (the commercial arm of BW)

I'm sure more will occur to me in time :) Were there any you've seen used about which you're unsure? Regular forum users are always liable to slipping into abbreviations and jargon..

A few more organisations that everyone refers to by their initials are:

RBOA - Residential Boat Owners' Association

IWA - Inland Waterways Association

BWML - British Waterways Marine Limited (the commercial arm of BW)

Pedant alert!

Actually it is....

BWML - British Waterways Marinas Limited

I thought it meant a sprung steel mattress had wrapped itself around the propellor. Or is that FFS?

:lol: If that disaster happens I always thought that the abbreviations went on for a lot longer including the time that your hand and arm loses all sensation after delving in the cold water. :angry:

Roger

Edited by Albion

I thought it meant a sprung steel mattress had wrapped itself around the propellor. Or is that FFS?

OFFS is the abbreviation for "I appear to have made a small navigational error".

GAFMO is used whenever a boat has occupied a lock chamber for more than 20 minutes with no apparent signs of progress.

If I'm being lazy it's staffs and works, never staff and wuss. I sometimes call it the stiff and worse though, a canal which features the Botch flight

There tends to be local abbs, I'm not sure the Gloucester and Sharpness is ever called the G&S by those who aren't based on it

you also have to be careful, Charles Hadfield (canal man and more) once noted that he had to redo a piece of research because he'd use the abbreviation W&B in his notes, when he referred to them a year later, he realised there were three canals with those initials, and he didn't know which one it was!

If I'm being lazy it's staffs and works, never staff and wuss. I sometimes call it the stiff and worse though, a canal which features the Botch flight

There tends to be local abbs, I'm not sure the Gloucester and Sharpness is ever called the G&S by those who aren't based on it

you also have to be careful, Charles Hadfield (canal man and more) once noted that he had to redo a piece of research because he'd use the abbreviation W&B in his notes, when he referred to them a year later, he realised there were three canals with those initials, and he didn't know which one it was!

It comes out for me as 'Staffs and Wooks'; someone the other day started saying it and thought better of it and it was 'Staffs and Wor...cestershire'. Is Staffie acceptable?