Residential Address

imnogeek

Featured Posts

Here is the scenario... We are looking to sell up and buy a boat, we have decided that it may be beneficial to have the first year or so in a mariana and to that end we have been out visiting local marinas.

We know that "residential" moorings are like hens teeth so have been looking at "long term leisure moorings"; some say that as long as you spend x amount of time away then they will leave you to get on with it but one we visited said they require an address of your primary residence.

One thing to do (I believe it has been mentioned in other threads too) is to use an address of a relative or similar, now I don't have a problem doing this but wondered what possible implications (if any) there are in doing this either to myself or the person who allows me to use their address?

Thanks in advance

As one of the leading mail forwarders and from a long career in the mail industry, there is little implication for the owner of an address to having other peoples mail being sent to their address.

Many individuals do not have a permanent street address and use either friends/family/a service provider to receive their mail and, more importantly, allow items such as car insurance, credit cards and government documentation to use the address and be delivered there.

The usual deciding factor to whether you are actually living there is inclusion on the electoral role. You may find that certain credit checks associate the address you are giving against this

Here is the scenario... We are looking to sell up and buy a boat, we have decided that it may be beneficial to have the first year or so in a mariana and to that end we have been out visiting local marinas.

We know that "residential" moorings are like hens teeth so have been looking at "long term leisure moorings"; some say that as long as you spend x amount of time away then they will leave you to get on with it but one we visited said they require an address of your primary residence.

One thing to do (I believe it has been mentioned in other threads too) is to use an address of a relative or similar, now I don't have a problem doing this but wondered what possible implications (if any) there are in doing this either to myself or the person who allows me to use their address?

Thanks in advance

Depends if they receive any benefits.

Sue

Thanks in advance

Who is to say or disprove where you actually live it could be with any of your friends or relatives. You can also ensure you are on the electoral register by registering at the address you 'live' at.

As to possible impact on who you are 'living' with

- one I can think of is if they are claiming single occupancy relief on their council tax...if you 'live' with them they would not be eligible for this.

Others with more experience will be along I'm sure.

We were not able to use a relative's address so we used a mail forwarding service, but one that just used our name & a normal address ie no box number, flat number etc.

We could then have the mail forwarded to wherever we wanted at short notice & it could be done daily, weekly or whatever you want.

It costs, but works well & was accepted by DVLA & all the other odds & sods.

Tony

We're registered as living with my husband's parents, they've included us on their Electoral Roll form and we have a postal vote in their Kent constituency. Mother-in-law forwards our mail Post Restante to our nearest Post Office every couple of weeks.

None of us have had any problems with this arrangement - I think it's quite common amongst liveaboards.

I just use family`s address.

If you are thinking of spending your first year in a marina i`d think carefully before laying out a years fee in advance because for sure you will soon want to cruise so soon after getting a boat.

Some will refund the balance though - depending on their T&C's

Depends if they receive any benefits.

Sue

Indeed!

The allegation might be that you live there and it's difficult to rebut when there are lots of companies sending post there.

Having seen the aftermath I'd preach caution should a single person be claiming as such while you use their address for correspondence, as has Sue...

Edited by Smelly

We're going to be encountering the same problem in the not to distant future. If it were made a C\O address would the alleviate the problem. It would be no different then if you were living abroad and when you came back to the uk that would be where you based yourself.

Very curious how this thread developes. My parents get carers allowance and disability allowace so wouldn't want to jeopardise that!

Edited by Sarah and Ian

[quote

Having seen the aftermath I'd preach caution should a single person be claiming as such while you use their address for correspondence, as has Sue...

This is precisely why I don't have a bus pass, my daughter is a single parent & wouldn't want to jeopardise her council tax reduction, we do however have our mail sent there.

I use my parents address, the only problem came when I needed to go to the doctors as my parents live in a different county. In the end I managed to use a friends address for the doctors but since then I think they have changed the laws so you can go to which ever doctor you want now. I wish I was close enough to use my parents small town surgery there alot nicer. :(

I voted but at my parents town, I guess its one extra vote for them as a household but doesn't effect me.

I use a friends address for mail and have him open all my mail and anything important he scans and emails to me. Banking etc I do on line but my registered address for that is my Daughter. The great thing about living on a boat is not having mail especially junk mail.

It's amazing how little mail you get once you go liveaboard. I get online statements from the bank and our mobile phones. You don't get gas, water, electricity bills, obviously and as you say, no junk mail. I even get a couple of magazine subscriptions online. :) It's great not having a doorbell.

We have had major problems because we used my brothers business address as a c/o address and it is not recognised by some credit card company and some banks.

Think of what you will want to do in the future and not just about now.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Did you have "c/o" as part of your address? I've heard it sometimes helps to leave it off - then the bank is none the wiser that you're not living there.

Admittedly, this might not be possible with business premises.

Lets think about what a computer will see if credit checks are being made

If it can see an address that it recognises, then it will most probably pass

If it gets a reject because a c/o is in the address, then a fail or manual intervention may happen

Remember. that items are delivered to an address not a name

We're going to be encountering the same problem in the not to distant future. If it were made a C\O address would the alleviate the problem. It would be no different then if you were living abroad and when you came back to the uk that would be where you based yourself.

Very curious how this thread developes. My parents get carers allowance and disability allowace so wouldn't want to jeopardise that!

Avoid using C/O on your address, some companies or agencies will not accept C/O addresses, likewise it can cause problems with some Bank services and also Mr Inland Revenue.

Phil

This is precisely why I don't have a bus pass, my daughter is a single parent & wouldn't want to jeopardise her council tax reduction, we do however have our mail sent there.

It's a lot easier if it's your daughter...

Thanks in advance

I've PM'd you.

Bob.

I had exactly the same problem so I wrote to the waterways minister asking how I get a bus pass. About a month later I got a reply from the department of transport stating that all I had to do was to prove my residence (that is my boat) was within any council area and they had to issiue me with a bus pass.

Armed with the original confirmation of receipt of the letter from the waterways minister, the paperwork from the ministry of transport and a photo of my boat in a recognisable place I got a bus pass.

Remember that the average junior or senior town hall civil servant is facing a short career if they start refusing things when ministers say we should get them. So if the town hall refuses, get names and write to the waterways minister and the transport minister. A bus pass is your right (provided you qualify of course).

I can comment on my experiences.

Job centre - very sceptical. more on that ina moment.

I use the address of a local good friend for mail bank statements etc he claims single persona allowance re rates,

he was then chased by his council who challenged him that he wasnt "on his own".

In the end he gave them my tel nbr and they called me, lady was fine, accepted the explanation and he hasnt had any more issues.

Job centre - gave them said friends address - no issues once I had explained about 6 times.

And way due to needing to update revenue and customs ( i was trying to claim the variance between expenses paid by my previous company and that allowed by revenue and customs) (@400 squid), So i wrote explained my circumstances and also another related revenue question. I gave them my parents address as i didnt think Ineed to get the mail for this that quickly (they live in wales)..

They replied after 3 weeks which was fine, answered my questions satisfactorily,

At this point the job center stopped paying my allownce. They then wrote to me - at my Parents address, querying why I didnt advise them I had changed address and how was I stating to be in London and Wales at the same time!

Until I would contact them and verify my new address and circumstances they refused to pay me for 6 weeks until sorted - (i did by phone - but with no apology)

So be aware the councils use credit checking agencies as a matter of routine and that the government is now a serious big brother and has managed to share databases,, I had expected my details to be dealt with in a confidential manner,

eg not widely shared, Mt details etc all aligned and were straight forward, but I found this disturbing, as in how much more is linked shared? ( I DONT WANT TO KNOW BY THE WAY)