NB Dover

scrumpylurcher

Featured Posts

Just had a close look at Dover moored in Braunston marina.I thought the old girls paintwork looked a bit faded and scratched.Surely if you are selling a boat worth that much the least you would do is touch the paint up topsides :blink:

Edited by boatyboy

I see Braunston Marina are selling NB Dover, a bargain at £50 short of 90k. Since it appears on the opposite page in the current WW magazine to Whitfield at 170k it looks almost cheap. Will anybody really spend that sort of money on either of them

Well, I have to say that if I had the money I would buy Dover, but I don't so I can't.

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add - All donations will be gratefully received! :lol:

Edited by ditchdabbler

A boat that allegedly had £250'000 spent on it must be some boat despite all the critique.

If they spent anything vaguely approaching a quarter of a million on it, then they must haver had some very serious lapses of judgements en route!

If they spent anything vaguely approaching a quarter of a million on it, then they must haver had some very serious lapses of judgements en route!

Ive no doubt the figure has been enhanced with the passing days. I think this a better boat as you know but its too long so thats an end to that!

http://www.wfbco.co.uk/narrowboats_for_sale/Ian

I think this a better boat as you know but its too long so thats an end to that!

http://www.wfbco.co.uk/narrowboats_for_sale/Ian

It is getting cheaper all the time though!

I'm afraid that, despite Carl regularly telling us that routine maintenance of a wooden hull needs to cost no more than that of steel or iron, I'm simply not brave enough to find out.

I will admit that I am increasingly feeling the need to go out and look for something "unsuitable" though, so please keep the suggestions coming. :rolleyes:

"Real" boat, perhaps now 40 to 50 foot, interesting 2 cylinder engine..... You get the idea, I'm sure!

I'm afraid that, despite Carl regularly telling us that routine maintenance of a wooden hull needs to cost no more than that of steel or iron, I'm simply not brave enough to find out.

I will admit that I am increasingly feeling the need to go out and look for something "unsuitable" though, so please keep the suggestions coming. :rolleyes:

"Real" boat, perhaps now 40 to 50 foot, interesting 2 cylinder engine..... You get the idea, I'm sure!

Hasn't got a 2 cyl engine but is this getting close?

http://www.theusedbo...&address=MERCIA

This has a 2cyl engine:

http://www.harralbrokerage.co.uk/detail.asp?id=1748

Not 45 ft ish though.

Edited by Ray T

Yes it must be becoming a burden to them, now they are based abroad.

If I was looking for something "unsuitable", I'd be tempted by Orion.

I keep looking at Orion and thinking she'd make a great shortened butty for judith ann, with a bit of a rebuild at the back! Unfortunately, even at that price it's out of my budget!

Regards

Dan

It was the comments about plugging holes with nappies that put me off! I think Ian is stunning, however another forum member has a far greater claim to that boat than I do.

This has a 2cyl engine:

http://www.harralbrokerage.co.uk/detail.asp?id=1748

Not 45 ft ish though.

Mike Heywood carried a reputation back in the eighties early nineties. We went looking for him on a very casual basis when we considering a boat in the early nineties but didnt find him. To my regret I never met him but his reputation lives on among those in the know

It was the comments about plugging holes with nappies that put me off!

Grease filled carrier bags were frequently used to temporarily seal iron and steel tea bags, before big money was spent on their restoration (about the same money is spent fully restoring a rivetted knacker as is required to do a wooden one).

Edited by carlt

Its amazing that in the volume of boats out there that rarely does one fit the criteria that makes one go gooey and reckless in the monetary department.

Well I actually quite like it....

but as it's a 1996 Heywood, and our current 1995 Evans & Son is effectively Heywood too, as I understand it, it's probably not different enough!

Pretty, uncomplicated boat though!

No, I think any bit of folly will have to have real working pedigree - a modern incarnation doesn't really do it for me - or at least not enough to get me changing from what I have.

Well I actually quite like it....

but as it's a 1996 Heywood, and our current 1995 Evans & Son is effectively Heywood too, as I understand it, it's probably not different enough!

Pretty, uncomplicated boat though!

No, I think any bit of folly will have to have real working pedigree - a modern incarnation doesn't really do it for me - or at least not enough to get me changing from what I have.

Still looking, what about this:

http://www.narrowboa...lno21104-02.jpg

http://www.narrowboatsearch.co.uk/flooter.asp?ImageName=glno21104-01.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Don't overlook the fact that "Gazelle" is still on the market (and seems to have been since the dawn of time).

Even though at 63ft it is outside your length criterion, it is most definitely the most sublimely beautiful narrowboat hull I've ever seen, and even more pleasing to the eye in real life than in the photos. I also notice the price has now tumbled from £120k to an even more reasonable £118k. (Stop smirking at the back there....)

http://www.narrowboatsearch.co.uk/detailpage.asp?BoatID=1285

Does anyone know what engine is in Gazelle? Whatever it is, we could hear the transmission howling horrendously from the bank when we admired the boat passing through a Thames lock (at Shepperton IIRC) a couple of summers ago. Must be a fearsome racket from inside the boat.

Mike

Don't overlook the fact that "Gazelle" is still on the market (and seems to have been since the dawn of time).

Even though at 63ft it is outside your length criterion, it is most definitely the most sublimely beautiful narrowboat hull I've ever seen, and even more pleasing to the eye in real life than in the photos. I also notice the price has now tumbled from £120k to an even more reasonable £118k. (Stop smirking at the back there....)

http://www.narrowboatsearch.co.uk/detailpage.asp?BoatID=1285

Does anyone know what engine is in Gazelle? Whatever it is, we could hear the transmission howling horrendously from the bank when we admired the boat passing through a Thames lock (at Shepperton IIRC) a couple of summers ago. Must be a fearsome racket from inside the boat.

Mike

I'd guess that it's been on the market so long because it was originally a bit expensive. Now it's well overpriced as 5 years of depreciation and apparent neglect have not been factored into the current price.

I was told by a third party that the engine is a Gardner.

Edited by andywatson

Warrior is available and that certainly has a proper engine.

Wow - IF I had the money and IF I didn't already have two boats and IF I could find somewhere to moor it ....(sigh).

It's worth buying simply to drool over the engine!

Mike Heywood carried a reputation back in the eighties early nineties. We went looking for him on a very casual basis when we considering a boat in the early nineties but didnt find him. To my regret I never met him but his reputation lives on among those in the know

Mike was certainly a character. One thing was certain, you bought one of his boats, he didn't build a boat for you! I went to see him in the late 1980's at Hixon and I'm afraid we fell out pretty quickly. I was labouring under the impression that as the buyer,I might have some say in what features were built into the shell. But Mike's view was that no matter who bought the boat, or how many times it might change hands, it would always be his boat, built how he would like it. If you didn't like it, you could take your business elsewhere - Which I did. Having said that I wouldn't have worried about the quality of one of his shells.

Incidentally, I bought an excellent shell from Arcrite Fabrications in Corby, exactly what I wanted, with superb swimming capabilities and to my design. Sadly they are no longer building boats as they found they could make more money from industrial work.

Does anyone know the butties attatched to Dover before it was docked @ Bulls Bridge around 1938 ish

could be out a few years as joes memory somtimes gets a bit fuddled these days.app an Alex Persel took it over

after it was docked & my grandad had it somtime before then. Im amazed that joe can remember most all the boat numbers ect

& who had what boat as he is 85 years old & can neither read or write.

Jeannette