Who lives furthest from their boat?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

I hate to disappoint everybody but there are a good number of Aussies who own boats here and return home when our winter sets in, so that must be, ooh, about 15,000 miles. Maybe.

Indeed - but taking this back to the OP..I wonder what prep do they deploy? - curious to know what sort of prep. they do when so long away from their boats..I get jittery if I'm away more than a week or so in winter.

Edited by MJG

We did live about 60 miles from the boat and couldn't get a mooring near our home town so we moved house instead :)

We now live about 8 miles from the boat.

Easily done, I'd say. The benefit of a house is that it is easily moved, unlike a boat.

Says the flag wagger!

Heff, you will have to explain that one for me

Mines 100 miles away. Waiting for thaw to bring it home:-)

Don't tell me there are mines on the cut now! As long as they stay 100 miles away that is ok! Not sure if my insurance covers hitting a mine:wub:

I'm in Costa Blanca...but at least not 14 hours away like someone else..

Left the boat in a marina in October...with noone to watch it.

Before leaving ?

This is my check list :

Wash and then thick smeary wax on outside paint work... Thick stern grease over all brass..mushrooms..portholes...including hatch runners...touch up any rust.

Clear roof of 'tools'

Check auto bilge pump works (direct to batteries) and put huge pressure on stern gland greaser...(until its sick !)

Shut off fuel to engine and Eberspacher..Drain fuel water trap and remove injector pipes at injectors and squirt some oil down them...leave disconnected. Drop my silica gell 'sausage' down the top of the fuel tank to absorb water and wrap the fuel cap in insulation to stop condensation.

Empty water tank..refill and add ' Miltons'..leave and then flush..shut off water tank valve..and backup tank valve ( in case the first one doesn't work !!..call me Mr belt and braces !!) remove water pump filter..drain pump and water level sensor....blow through the shower pipe..and leave it hanging with taps on...remove kitchen and bathroom water filters...leave all taps on..drain calorifier...empty and flush pumpout tank after flushing pipes through with Harpic blue ( has no bleach in it) ...tiny drop of Harpic blue stuff in loo bowl...grease on the loo seat hinges which I leave up so no condensation on lid..grease on chrome sink taps and any brightwork.....tiny Miltons down sink U-bends..

Sweep chimney and put its hat on...cable tie J cloths around top of chimney flu to stop rusty stains...

Wipe ceilng boards and walls timbers down with clove oil diluted in washing up liquid to stop mould...spray a little onto curtains and around window frames for same reason. Spray it around shower cubicle and anywhere mould may lurk....dry it all out !!

Defrost fridge and prop door open.

Prop matresses vertically..

Check battery water levels..Solar cells on charge...Main battery 12 volts off..

Check SG of antifreeze in engine and radiators...

Shut off gas.

Cover things with dust sheets...

Leave some slack in the ropes.

Check the insurance policy...and GO !!...

Bob

The floating boat is 100 miles and depending on traffic anything from 1h 40 to 3 hours is the worst so far.

The boat build is about 20 meters away, and regardless of traffic can be got to in about 20 seconds.

Biggles

It depends where the boat is! The furthest was Chester / Llangollen which was 5 hours on a bad day, and the closest was Oxford-ish which could be done in just over an hour if we were lucky with the traffic.

At present about two and a half hours....