Fantasy boats

Circe

Featured Posts

Mine is currently for sale. Just one small problem - actually 320,000 small problems.

http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=142641

Lichen Lady is back on Apolloduck.

Was at £50,000 two days ago, now at £65,000. A friend of mine had agreed to buy it but was messed around so much he pulled out. There is something decidedly dodgy about both the boat and the seller (in my opinion!). I think the boat was flooded and had some quite extensive internal water damage - (not presenting this as fact, but I believe!)

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=155100

Edited to add caveat.

Edited by Speedwheel

<snip>

Lichen Lady is back on Apolloduck.

Was at £50,000 two days ago, now at £65,000. A friend of mine had agreed to buy it but was messed around so much he pulled out. There is something decidedly dodgy about both the boat and the seller. I think the boat was flooded and had some quite extensive internal water damage.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=155100

155100_1.jpg

IIRC she went for about £32,000 last year

Richard

Hello :)

I'm a complete newbie but in the distant future I've every intention of getting my own narrowboat (for now we'll have to stick to hiring when we can). I'm having loads of fun looking at pics and plans and there's lots of mutterings of "Ooooh, that would be nice!" Usually about totally impractical things too :rolleyes:

So my question:

If money was no object (well, we can all wish!) what would you put on your boat if you were building it from scratch? What's your fantasy boat really like?

errr...someting like barge Maurice A....

Img_9201.jpg

As for money no object...The "fantasy" bit would have been having the shell built by XR&D and fitted by Andrew Hooke / Woodworks...with a more "woody" fitout.

What would I have put on it if money was no object?...much the same on the engineering front...but 24v domestic battery bank would have been racked, Sonnenschein A600 2v AGM cells instead of Barden 6v, windows would have been the new Channelglaze "Jubilee" double glazed jobbies, instead of Worcester "S" type, with 2ndary polycarbonate double glazing. Hydraulic anchor winch instead of manual Lewmar.

I'm a complete newbie but in the distant future I've every intention of getting my own narrowboat (for now we'll have to stick to hiring when we can). I'm having loads of fun looking at pics and plans and there's lots of mutterings of "Ooooh, that would be nice!" Usually about totally impractical things too :rolleyes:

So my question:

If money was no object (well, we can all wish!) what would you put on your boat if you were building it from scratch? What's your fantasy boat really like?

On a more serious note, I have been looking into what is best for a new build and last year put up this: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=31775&st=0

Might be of interest to you.

Good luck, John

That there boat's got a hole below the waterline, right up the sharp end. That can't be good...

Having experienced hovering about in a barge waiting for the locks on the Canal Du Nord / Liaison Dunkerque-Escaut (Grand Gabarit) / Oise, mixing it with the big commercials, the 10hp hydraulic "hole"* and the rather groovy Schilling rudder* is good.

hole*

There is a full height watertight / collision bulkhead behind the bowthruster tube.

Schilling rudder*

Img_9118.jpg

A little extra, I would have included in my "fantasy" list...I got this due to the other "TNC" Class barge being built with one. (just as easy to fold 4m of steel, as 2m of steel) ;)

...mind you, I got the grief sorting out the knuckle/double steering arms, rams, helm pump and re-positioning of the rudder stock tube.

I think the last time this question was asked I said that if money were no object I'd have several boats, and I'll have to stick with that.

joshua.jpg

This is Joshua, the boat Bernard Moitessier used for his solo round the world voyage (the one where he decided that rather than go back to Europe and possibly win the prize for the fastest solo non-stop circumnavigation that was won by Robin Knox-Johnston he went back into the Southern Ocean and carried on 'till he got to French Polynesia). A sister-ship would do just fine for my own solo circumnavigation ambitions.

The second and third would be two Norfolk Broads River Cruiser yachts - one about 22-24 feet long with a gaff rig, no bowsprit, and electric auxiliary powered by methanol fuel cells, optimised for short-handed sailing and cruising. The other a stripped-out racing machine of about 36-40 feet LOA, with the biggest carbon fibre gaff topsail rig I could realistically fit on her and a honking great bowsprit to scare passing motor cruiser drivers. Chances are the racing boat would only do a few races each year (mainly the Three Rivers Race), but if money really were no object it'd be quite fun.

A sister-ship would do just fine for my own solo circumnavigation ambitions.

That's why Syn-y-mor is my fantasy boat.

DSCF3613.jpg

She is proof that a 1930s lifeboat can go around the World (in her case, twice)

I already own the lifeboat she just needs rigging and fitting out for extended passage.

No solo stuff for me, though. Swmbo will have to come and, I expect, eldest son, too.

So my question:

If money were no object then I would pay for the best shell and paint job I could get. As for what goes inside, thats easy - nothing more than I need or can use. The ideal boat has to contain all the essentials needed to live comfortably with as little clutter as possible. No matter what you put in a boat, the biggest concern has got to be how to power it and/or store it. I like the Heritage Cookers, so I would have one of them to both cook and heat the boat. I would also have as much battery power as I can get with as few batteries as possible along with enough Solar Panels to keep them charged. The final area has to be the fitout. A good quality fitout with little woodworking details used to finish of corners, worktops, doors and floor is worth spending money on (you will be surpised just what a difference these little things can make to a boat) Overall, for me - space, power, storage, shell, paint job and fitout are the most important and I would spend my money there.

The motor has its original rivetted steel cabin?????

Unless totally, totally superb, it does sound silly money though.

And what's with the door between back cabin and engine room ?

Darley is very nice and recently rebottomed.

The motor has its original rivetted steel cabin?????

Indeed!

Mind you, I'm wondering what this wooden hulled Harland and Wolff GUCCCo boat is ?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=142120

Darley is very nice and recently rebottomed.

Does it have a new counter ? It seems to lack the usual battering.

So if it's £77K for the pair, from your experience, where would you say they are putting the motor / butty split ?

Edited by alan_fincher

So if it's £77K for the pair, from your experience, where would you say they are putting the motor / butty split ?

I was once told that whatever you do to a butty, it's never worth more than £20,000

So that makes the pair a bit dear, but within bargaining range, given the price of a new bottom.

I did look at Darley with a view to purchase (before the pair were put up for sale) but it was out of my price range (although I'm sure I've spent as much in total now) and also it was a bit too finished for me.

I can't recall if it has a new counter but I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh dear. I hope that's not true - I've spent a lot more than that on Hampton. :(

I thought it was another rule of thumb that a boat is never worth as much as you've spent on it :wub:

Hampton may however be the exception that proves the rule.

I was once told that whatever you do to a butty, it's never worth more than £20,000

Unless it's Kenneth of course!

Mind you that does seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper since the day somone unwisely decided to havi it built!

There is at least one GU butty up for around £33K, though I have no idea how good or bad it might be.

I can remember when £3K was about the going rate for a working boat!

Unless it's Kenneth of course!

Mind you that does seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper since the day somone unwisely decided to havi it built!

There is at least one GU butty up for around £33K, though I have no idea how good or bad it might be.

I can remember when £3K was about the going rate for a working boat!

But Kenneth has a motor (or so it says.. 'motorised butty'). And so now I think of it does Hampton, so I think I maintain my original position after all!

Edited by Chertsey

Ooooh! I'm drooling happily over lots of these!

Whitefield is a bit :blink: although I don't mind some of the interior (should I run and hide now?)

Would secretly love a sea-faring boat (I grew up near the coast) but I don't have the skills, experience or nerve to do that. I think a gorgeous narrowboat is somewhere in my future - although sadly not at fantasy prices :lol:

Edited by Circe