Regreting living aboard

sueb

Featured Posts

Having said previously that living on a boat is as good, even better than living in an isolated country cottage I have now found a snag; lack of regular post; delivered or collected from the local office.

Having transferred my boat licence to 'Gold' and then back to 'BW only' it is due by the end of December. Unfortunately I failed to collect my mail for a while. No problem, I thought, just renew the licence online. No, it cannot be done, you need the "eight digit renewal number", sent only by post. Furthermore, the BW offices are closed until after the New Year holiday so I cannot renew by telephone.

I can tax and insure my car online or by telephone but BW require their 'secret code' that they will send only by post. I hope you will all appreciate my additional £50 contribution (10% fine) to the BW coffers - thank goodness it was not a 70' boat at 10% of £800+.

Alan

We have our post sent to my husband's parents in Kent - our renewal notice arrived at about the same time we did for our Christmas visit. On reading the part that said we'd be charged VAT at 17.5% if we renewed by 4th January I immediately tried to renew online.

This is your consolation Alan - despite entering our special numbers we still apparently don't exist - the computer said no!! I'm phoning them on 4th January - they'd better let us have 17.5% Vat or I'll create merry hell!

I never had a house to sell and Ive no regrets so far.... BUT,

As any readers of my blog (HONEY RYDER) will know, I chose the wrong floating "boat" to start with. Having discovered that the narrowboating life is pretty shit most of the year round, dirty canals, smelly rivers, low life scum chucking a whole manner of ugliness into them and operating the boat year round through crappy locks, the winter's not a problem, being iced in, not a problem. lugging a toilet cassette through ice and snow, not a problem. a wood stove that heats the boat in the middle but not the ends, not a problem. the problem for me was the underlying fact that a narrowboat is far too much like a floating caravan. I dont regret the narrowboat. But, I love the new boat (Varekai, a GRP sailing yacht) like never I could have imagined.

its bloody freezing, ive got mains power hook up (for the duration it is out of the water), the boat is out of the water on hard standing (yes I still live on it, 2.5 meters up) my toilet is either a bucket or a 2 minute run down the marina. I dont have running water as such, as I have to catch everything i use in a bowl or bucket (being out of the water). every cupboard is open to avoid mildew and I have a dehumidifier running most of the time. last week i had to wipe the ice droplets off the inside of the back cabin before they defrosted and dropped all over the cushions.

My cooker didnt work for a while as the tiny gas bottles the boat is equipped with froze (butane) and I had to swap temporarily to a propane bottle that is simply stood in the cockpit with a plastic bag over it.

when the deck is covered in snow or ice it is absolutely lethal and dont get me started on the mildew on the duvet where it has touched the sides of the boat at night.

its a MUCH harder life than on the narrowboat.

however, I love life on the boat so much I wouldnt change it for anything. other than a job and a mooring (with the same boat) in the med. No regrets at all.

all I was trying to say was, that I still love living on a boat no matter how hard it can sometimes feel, either narrowboating or yachting, I can tolerate the cold, ice, bit of mildew occasionally, going to bed with clothes on etc in the harshest parts of winter in return for absolutely truly fantastically glorious life affirming days the rest of the time. I never regretted anything I did so far, as I believe it all to be lessons in life and should all be valued, but I felt hemmed in on the narrowboat, with a long line of water going forwards and backwards in a ruddy long ditch with "doors" every few miles, rarely a chance to go "another way". I was lucky that I bought a really lovely narrowboat with good facilities and my life onboard was better than living on land in a flat or house. I think, if someone fancies giving it a go, then go for it. you never know who you will meet and what you will learn along the way, whether you decide that you love it or hate it I cant imagine anyone regretting it really. I realised quickly that Im a coastal person, I like to have the opportunity to turn 360 degrees, go more or less where i want and know that my boat is at least capable of taking me as far as I could ever want to go. I think being able to adapt oneself to a life onboard any kind of boat is a real gift, some have it instinctively, some learn it along the way, some want it but realise they prefer something else when they have it!

I still have some absolutely fantastic friends on the canals, and this was only possible because I lived there. That was my lasting gift from those ditch crawling; plastic bag propellor blocking; weed infested; swans pecking at the windows; foxes running down the roof; drunken people falling onto the boat from the towpath; people trying to steal my bike from the roof; is it cold in winter?; cruising through the mist at 5am; friends piling round for drinks and music; days.

Is narrowboating really this bad?

I've convinced my family they will love it :)

Its not that bad, but with kids you have to factor in the annoying gene. which goes, can I have my games console tv all day no because we dont have enough power then explaining why half a dozen times, can I have 2 showers a day what about my hair? no we only have so much water, im bored, do something then, can I go on my playstation? no because of the power( sulk ) the fact that there is nowhere to go when you get on each others nerves other than that its pretty good.

Its not that bad, but with kids you have to factor in the annoying gene. which goes, can I have my games console tv all day no because we dont have enough power then explaining why half a dozen times, can I have 2 showers a day what about my hair? no we only have so much water, im bored, do something then, can I go on my playstation? no because of the power( sulk ) the fact that there is nowhere to go when you get on each others nerves other than that its pretty good.

Teach them to drive the boat.. then they can take you for a cruise :)

My parents were considering booking a week on a hire boat and leaving the rest to me, being skippered for a week. (I'm 23, so not quite the same boat (Pun intended))

We currently live on land. The kids spend far too much time playing games. It's unhealthy. If they are forced to be bored, they might get over it and realise there are such activities as photography, music, carving, cycling,walking, animals, insects, architecture, agriculture, budgeting, planning, navigating, etc. We spent 6months in a 6m camper van touring Europe 3 yrs ago. The kids were 3,8,12 . You tend to define your own reality I think...:)

but yes...sigh...I am buying a solar panel, 3 extra batteries and a bigger alternator to allow them the comforts of home...occassionally :) Wait till they figure out that 1 hairdrier kills enough battery power to run their psp for 3hours.!

We currently live on land. The kids spend far too much time playing games. It's unhealthy. If they are forced to be bored, they might get over it and realise there are such activities as photography, music, carving, cycling,walking, animals, insects, architecture, agriculture, budgeting, planning, navigating, etc. We spent 6months in a 6m camper van touring Europe 3 yrs ago. The kids were 3,8,12 . You tend to define your own reality I think...:)

but yes...sigh...I am buying a solar panel, 3 extra batteries and a bigger alternator to allow them the comforts of home...occassionally :) Wait till they figure out that 1 hairdrier kills enough battery power to run their psp for 3hours.!

I think boredom is an important and essential ingredient for childhood, we used to think of all sorts of things to alleviate it, teaches you to solve problems and to cope without external stimulation, too often parents try to solve their children's boredom for them instead of keeping out of the way and letting them organise themselves.

Maybe you should think of your children and not push your dream on them, as we've seen lately with all the increases in collage and university fees etc, I would want my children to get the best education possible and qualifications, far more important then being able to wittle a bit of wood and play a straw flute at 16 years of age. Cheers Dad

Edited by mickeyduff

I think boredom is an important and essential ingredient for childhood, we used to think of all sorts of things to alleviate it, teaches you to solve problems and to cope without external stimulation, too often parents try to solve their children's boredom for them instead of keeping out of the way and letting them organise themselves.

Ahhh but we are talking about kids who have grown up in the techno age which is what they are used to and what they like.its very hard to get them( after the intial excitement of being on a boat)to understand the limits of power usage without getting into rows with them.Also I would not let my children wander off on their own to explore the outside, so their world shrinks quite a bit depending on the age of said children.We never had a telly or any other kind of electrical babysitter when we were small, but now I moan like hell if I cant use my laptop because the battery is flat.

Is narrowboating really this bad?

I've convinced my family they will love it :)

Out of curiosity how old are your children

How will they go to school if you are going to travel the system.

If you are having a cc licence it says having a child in school is not a reason for being in the same area.(or words to that effect)

Out of curiosity how old are your children

How will they go to school if you are going to travel the system.

If you are having a cc licence it says having a child in school is not a reason for being in the same area.(or words to that effect)

1. 6,11,15

2. They have all been home educated since birth. Teeneager is writing IGCSE exams at private exam centres around the country this year.

3. To me there is no point in being in a boat if you are going to stay in the same area, but thats' just my take on it :)

Hope that's answered your curiosity :)

1. 6,11,15

2. They have all been home educated since birth. Teeneager is writing IGCSE exams at private exam centres around the country this year.

3. To me there is no point in being in a boat if you are going to stay in the same area, but thats' just my take on it :)

Hope that's answered your curiosity :)

Thanks DeanS

3 kids...

blimey.

I couldnt cope with just a single sulky easily bored frenchman in a narrowboat.

have you considered getting a butty (in addition to narrowboat) to use either as a personal retreat or a place to chuck the kids when youve had enough?

the butty could be entirely powered by a load of solar panels... that would give enough to charge a laptop or several psp's/ mobile phones every day.

3 kids...

blimey.

I couldnt cope with just a single sulky easily bored frenchman in a narrowboat.

have you considered getting a butty (in addition to narrowboat) to use either as a personal retreat or a place to chuck the kids when youve had enough?

the butty could be entirely powered by a load of solar panels... that would give enough to charge a laptop or several psp's/ mobile phones every day.

That is Plan B :)

What and waste a chance of free heat to warm your hands!

regards

Graham

Actually, due to the rich diversity of textures, colour, heaps and shapes, I'm thinking of making Sophie's frozen poo a collector's item. Just not quite sure where to display it. Obviously the mantlepiece is out of the question....

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

Actually, due to the rich diversity of textures, colour, heaps and shapes, I'm thinking of making Sophie's frozen poo a collector's item. Just not quite sure where to display it. Obviously the mantlepiece is out of the question....

Tone

There is actually a public gallery, between Hillmorton Bottom Lock and The Kent bridgehole, in Rugby, where dog walkers leave their pooches' little installations, for other people to admire.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe you should think of your children and not push your dream on them, as we've seen lately with all the increases in collage and university fees etc, I would want my children to get the best education possible and qualifications, far more important then being able to wittle a bit of wood and play a straw flute at 16 years of age. Cheers Dad

Maybe children should lead the life their parents enjoy and believe worthwhile -- until they are adults and able to create their own world for themselves.

I had a great childhood (on land and in the Canadian forests!), but would have loved growing up on a boat on the canals. I couldn't wait to leave home and get out and about in the world, and did so at 17. And spent the next 20 years travelling around it.

BTW it's never too late to persue education (and even get 'qualifications'). I did both my BA and MPhil at Birkbeck College, University of London in my late 40s.

Edited by Jim Batty

Actually, due to the rich diversity of textures, colour, heaps and shapes, I'm thinking of making Sophie's frozen poo a collector's item.

You're too late with this idea. Turner Prize winner Chris Ofili has beaten you to it with his elephant dung sculptures. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Think, for me, this is one question that people have asked me most but one that's never phased me. "What will you do in the winter, when it's cold?". My current rented flat in London is draughty and most of it is really cold in the winter anyway. Ok, I have central heating and don't have to keep a stove running or lug coal or logs around - but I'm ok with that. Personally suspect it keeps you much more in contact with 'reality'. In most modern houses it's easy to forget where your power and heat comes from - until it breaks down.

Maybe, one day, people will be able to say to me; "I told you so", but I suspect not. :)