Regreting living aboard

sueb

Featured Posts

As part time liveaboards (3 nights out of 7 each week) we would love to move aboard on a permenant basis but dont envisage us doing so on a NB or widebeam canal boat. We do plan at some point in the future to move aboard a boat, we enjoy being on the water much more than being in bricks and mortar but for now we are happy to have both. It suits our current lifestyle. In the future we will be able to move aboard with our eyes wide open to the advantages and disadvantages of living on the water.

Will you be getting a proper boat then, Phylis? :cheers:

Having lived aboard for eleven years, either CCing through the winter or (luxury as now) on a mooring with a power hook up, I reckon the minimum requirement for survival in this extreme weather is a power generator that can run electrical heating for emergency use and a portaloo as a spare, even if you have a pump-out holding tank too. Mooring fairly close to a water supply also helps, but you can always melt snow. Being not too far from a source of diesel and food is important, unless you have a car too, and being within a 3G/mobile reception area comes close.

I don't think we've faced such a prolonged freeze for a long time. Maybe this will help us prepare for future hard winters?

Tone

Will you be getting a proper boat then, Phylis? :cheers:

We have a couple of ideas in mind, both of which are GRP, seaworthy (although somewhat slower than NC :( ) comfortable, easy to maintain, economical and equally at home on the rivers and broad beam canals as at sea.

Now we just need to wait a few years and bide our time until we can comfortably give up work for a while and cruise to our hearts content.

The Westwood ST290 is high on our list

Westwood Marine

Easy to handle, well fitted out, and small enough to easily fit through most of the lower bridges we would encounter whilst still offering big accomodation. We were very impressed with the ST290 they had for sale at Burton, hence why it scores highly on our list.

Well we do too of course we do - but I do like actual boating in the winter though too, colder the better.

Our problem this winter though has been getting to the darn boat. Currently searching in earnest for a marina closer to home, tis not funny worrying about your boat when it's 150 miles away in the current climate.

I know exactley what you mean. We live near Eastbourne on the south coast, the boat lives just north of Milton Keynes. When we left her the time before last, I was in such agony after having twisted my back carrying a heavy load off the boat that I was not able to properly prepare her for cold weather. The last time I thought I had - oil filled rad on in the back cabin on frost setting, Eberspluger switched on also on a frost setting. Then I went and turned off the battery isolator and went home.

When I got home I realised that with the battery isolator off, the Everspluger was also off - what a pillock!

Luckily, there is a nice carpenter adding some cabinets and bed extensions to her, snow permitting, and he switched it back on for me.

Hope it did not get too cold in the mean time

K

We have a couple of ideas in mind, both of which are GRP, seaworthy (although somewhat slower than NC :( ) comfortable, easy to maintain, economical and equally at home on the rivers and broad beam canals as at sea.

Now we just need to wait a few years and bide our time until we can comfortably give up work for a while and cruise to our hearts content.

The Westwood ST290 is high on our list

Westwood Marine

Easy to handle, well fitted out, and small enough to easily fit through most of the lower bridges we would encounter whilst still offering big accomodation. We were very impressed with the ST290 they had for sale at Burton, hence why it scores highly on our list.

Interesting that, Phylis

It could be really useful if the fibreglass arch over the cocpit is removable

I'm not quite sure from your post whether you are regretting your decision or just curious as to whether others are.

This is our seventh winter as liveaboards and I miss nothing about house dwelling in the winter. We have a number of requirements for winter living which are:- being warm onboard at all times, having no damp, enough fuel for the whole winter, copious food and water supplies, sufficient power, plenty to do. These requirements would be the same for wherever we lived, be it house, flat, caravan, motorhome or boat.

Our boat and mooring provide us with all of these things and apart from some mods during the first winter, it is just another season. My wife really loves the winter and when the nights start drawing in at the end of October, she can't wait to get the stove going and see the warm glow. It does seem that a number of liveaboard boats that I see, are fine up to and including cool weather, but when the hard winter freeze starts, many previously unseen problems become apparent. There are two of the liveaboards on the marina here, that were totally confident about the onset of winter when I spoke to them in October, but both have now moved into family's houses, due to not being able to keep warm enough, dripping with condensation and feeling generally miserable.

Living on a boat comfortably in winter requires a certain ammount of preparation, not neccessarily more than a house, just different. Unfortunately, if the boat is not up to the job, then things will still be hard. I well remember as a lad, having ice on the inside of my bedroom window, layers of thick blankets and a freezing cold bathroom and kitchen. We sat round the fire in the evening, feeling the draught round our ankles. These days, modern housing is double walled, cavity insulated, roof insulated and double glazed, plus central heating, so they are all year round protected. Unfortunately, most boats aren't built to that level of protection. I have nade sure that our boat is well insulated, double glazed and well heated, so we don't have any winter fears at all.

A boat is not a house and neither should it be, but the same rules of physics apply wherever you live for keeping warm, dry and comfortable.

Have a warm and happy Christmas everyone! :)

Roger

Well Roger, you must be as old as me. I also well remember waking up to ice on the inside of the windows, and having the paraffin heater on in the bedroom for an hour before going to sleep. A solid fuel central heating system was installed downstairs later, with a heated towel rail in the bathroom, but nothing in the bedrooms. But as my mother is from Yorkshire, I can understand her wanting her sons not to grow up as southern wimps!

K

. I also well remember waking up to ice on the inside of the windows, and having the paraffin heater on in the bedroom for an hour before going to sleep.

K

Two things probably related. Those old paraffin heaters produced loads of condensation.

In 1963 I once made the mistake of putting one in an old Standard Vanguard to stop it icing up. I ended up with thick ice on the inside of the screen as well as outside. And it was in a garage!

Tone

I have nade sure that our boat is well insulated, double glazed and well heated, so we don't have any winter fears at all.

A boat is not a house and neither should it be, but the same rules of physics apply wherever you live for keeping warm, dry and comfortable.

Have a warm and happy Christmas everyone! :)

Roger

hello,

just to go ot a bit.....

Can I ask if you made any provision for insulating below the floor? as I do not see it discussed or specc'd much in boats and is a big issue in new house builds now esp with UF heating... who wants valuable heat leaking into the ground or boat bilges/water?

Thanks

Steve

It's quite difficult to see why you should want to live on a boat with that kind of comparison.

Are you simply after cheap housing?

I don't see eye to eye with Mrs Melly very often but hers seems a good POV for having a mooring, your first list is simply a set of challenges to face that are different from, but no harder, than the challenges involved in the 2nd.,

Some of you missed the point of my post. I was simply trying to point out, that there is a wide range of experiences, and we are the ones who choose which experiece we want. Some cant handle the cold in winter, so there is the option of mooring with elec, and heaters. Some enjoy being miles from no where, with the challenge of finding fuel. If I was boating alone, I would easily choose that option. Since I have kids, wife etc, then it would make sense to plan ahead and keep them all happy without any worries. I wasnt saying option 2 was better than option 1, I was just responding to the article where the poor guy has given up boating because his batteries were dead etc...and pointing out that if he was connected in a mooring, he perhaps wouldnt have given up boating. Over and Out :))

Nope not for a second. This is our second winter as liveaboards - rented the house rather than sell it but can't imagine going back to it.

I love the late autumn / early spring when the canal is ours - we can cruise for miles with no other boaters in sight and the waters are dead clear. It's a bit like living in a holiday resort when all the tourists have gone home (brought up in Southend-on-Sea!)

We managed fine iced in for six weeks last year and have had a bit of a hiccup this year but still loving it (iced in since late November)

Tis grand

I rent my house out....unfurnished...sold everything bar some photos...no council tax for me...

I got rid of the car....no car tax or insurance...

In winter...I go to Spain or Cyprus...and rent...

Nice and warm...no council tax ..no heating bills...and about 350 Euros a month..currently in a villa...English TV...internet..pool..

When I go back....I hire a car for a few weeks..£200 ..and then will leave the marina permanently..thus saving 6 months...as I dont have to pay to keep the car there..

Each year I find space in whatever marina I am near to winter the boat...so don't have to trek back to the same marina.

My health does not go well with the ice....and this works for me....

I'm not putting you hardy types down...just telling my tale.

I love my summer 6 months on the boat and the companionship of my fellow boaters.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I rent my house out....unfurnished...sold everything bar some photos...no council tax for me...

I got rid of the car....no car tax or insurance...

In winter...I go to Spain or Cyprus...and rent...

Nice and warm...no council tax ..no heating bills...and about 350 Euros a month..currently in a villa...English TV...internet..pool..

When I go back....I hire a car for a few weeks..£200 ..and then will leave the marina permanently..thus saving 6 months...as I dont have to pay to keep the car there..

Each year I find space in whatever marina I am near to winter the boat...so don't have to trek back to the same marina.

My health does not go well with the ice....and this works for me....

I'm not putting you hardy types down...just telling my tale.

I love my summer 6 months on the boat and the companionship of my fellow boaters.

Bob

Yes, we were going to down that route, summer on boat, winter in spain --- even gave the boat a Spannish name.

However what with the value of the euro, taking the dog back & forth, leaving the boat unchecked,etc etc

we havn't made it yet. But it sounds good.

Tony

Yes, we were going to down that route, summer on boat, winter in spain --- even gave the boat a Spannish name.

However what with the value of the euro, taking the dog back & forth, leaving the boat unchecked,etc etc

we havn't made it yet. But it sounds good.

Tony

I can see that driving down with Fido would add a lot to the cost. I take a cheap 'package holiday'...find somewhere to rent..and then tear up the return ticket...luckily though...the Spanish air traffic controllers went on strike..and they cancelled this return flight....and allowed me to rebook it in April !!

Food is dear..but about the same as UK..but eating out is cheap...you find many cafes full of Brits..

As for the boat being safe..?...fingers...legs crossed...and touching wood !!

Maybe I'll rename mine...'Frosty'

Bob

I think it's all about finding your level. We lived on our previous boat for just over 3 years, and there's no doubt about it, when it gets really cold like this it's s**t. Some people can handle the cold and hauling stuff up and down the towpath. For others it's just too much. When things go wrong on a boat, to my mind it always seems much worse than in a house - or takes 3 times as long to get fixed anyway. We've just moved from a towpath mooring with basically no facilities and a 15 minute walk from the car to a Marina where we have shore power, water tap right by the boat, secure car parking right by the boat, and everything else we could possibly need within a stone's throw. As we can only use the boat at weekends due to work, this has made a huge difference to us, making it enjoyable going to the boat, rather than a chore. There's no worrying about how charged the batteries are, no need to run the engine for hours on end, and if the toilet is full we just go and empty it (cassette girl here!!).

Living aboard is wonderful for most of the time, and this cold snap is only really a blip in the great scheme of things. Just be prepared that things are going to go wrong, and when they do, you just have to get on and deal with it. It's easy to think, "oh, it will be lovely, I'll come home from work at 5.30 and then we'll cruise for a couple of hours in the evening sun". In reality though, that won't happen. You just need to figure out what you want out of the boat, how you can make it work for you, and have a Plan B, just in case.

:cheers:

You have the right idea by the sound of it, yes lecky hook up for winter is usefull, you already realise a pumpout bog is a stupid invention and of no use whatsoever to serious boaters and methinks you will love your move aboard............

Hi all, Has anyone any experience with Composting Toilets? Also what are your views on these?

John

Does anyone regret selling the house and living aboard or do you regard this weather as a challenge?

Sue

No we are loving it! The view outside the boat window is a winter wonderland dealing, with this kind of weather is about preparation and organisation.

Having said how wonderful boating life is, the one thing I've just remembered is... how awkward it is to wrap presents, here on my boat. There just isn't enough room.

I wrap mine on the floor - it's the only flat space big enough :) It's hiding the damn things that's the challenge!

I wrap mine on the floor - it's the only flat space big enough :) It's hiding the damn things that's the challenge!

The need to wrap presents on a boat should be regulated to the amount of spare storage space on the boat. Presents should therefore be DVD size or smaller, requiring only a small amount of wrapping paper. Problems may arise however if the item you are wrapping is not intended for use ON THE BOAT , in which case there may be an incompatibility between wrapping size, and boat. ;-)

under floor heating and insulation -

I have neither and but can see the logical attraction of both - however "most" designs as built have a limited space between the steel base plate and tops of the steel formers - that the floor is placed on ( i avoided stating how but mine is 18mm ply sheets 240 long).

Underneath the ballast was house bricks on their side. - whilst I could certainly in insulation such as kingspan sheets the up heaval in "built " boats is a biggish one and then re-installing ballast.. of a suitablely thiner would mean steel sheets or similar.. not sure how much room for undeer floor piping systems, and would the weight of the filled system be good as ballast? and what would most systems on a boat use to heat the system?

( i have my ideas/solution) but dont feel that such an investment / work can really be needed/justified as i find that a pair of slippers socks keeps feet warm for the present, whilst sitting in a t shirt and shorts)

and in answer the man who asked re composting loo's they work "slower" re evalerating fluids and the actual composting process slows right down or stops as effectively a frozen for the cold snap,,, once it warms up it reverts to normal,, so best not have a serious on going beer session unless you operate a plan B alongside...!!

The need to wrap presents on a boat should be regulated to the amount of spare storage space on the boat. Presents should therefore be DVD size or smaller, requiring only a small amount of wrapping paper. Problems may arise however if the item you are wrapping is not intended for use ON THE BOAT , in which case there may be an incompatibility between wrapping size, and boat. ;-)

I was thinking of getting OH a chainsaw. That would have been fun to wrap!!