Regreting living aboard

sueb

Featured Posts

Think, for me, this is one question that people have asked me most but one that's never phased me. "What will you do in the winter, when it's cold?". My current rented flat in London is draughty and most of it is really cold in the winter anyway. Ok, I have central heating and don't have to keep a stove running or lug coal or logs around - but I'm ok with that. Personally suspect it keeps you much more in contact with 'reality'. In most modern houses it's easy to forget where your power and heat comes from - until it breaks down.

Maybe, one day, people will be able to say to me; "I told you so", but I suspect not. :)

Depends on the house - just spent a weekend at my grans in Scarborough - freezing! Then to mums - big house, big windows, also draughty. I keep the boat really warm - its a small space so it heats up quick. We keep the fire in all night and I've a halogen heater at one end, which I put on in the morning.

You will, as a liveaboard, get absolutely sick of everyone asking if you're cold. Until you invite them for food in the winter and seat them next to the stove.

Maybe children should lead the life their parents enjoy and believe worthwhile -- until they are adults and able to create their own world for themselves.

I had a great childhood (on land and in the Canadian forests!), but would have loved growing up on a boat on the canals. I couldn't wait to leave home and get out and about in the world, and did so at 17. And spent the next 20 years travelling around it.

BTW it's never too late to persue education (and even get 'qualifications'). I did both my BA and MPhil at Birkbeck College, University of London in my late 40s.

That's a very good point; why assume that what most people do is actually best for children - to be honest, it's just easiest to follow the herd.

And it was only after hitting reply that I noticed that your alma mater is my employer - brilliant place; doesn't just spout the mission statement but really walks the walk.

Depends on the house - just spent a weekend at my grans in Scarborough - freezing! Then to mums - big house, big windows, also draughty. I keep the boat really warm - its a small space so it heats up quick. We keep the fire in all night and I've a halogen heater at one end, which I put on in the morning.

You will, as a liveaboard, get absolutely sick of everyone asking if you're cold. Until you invite them for food in the winter and seat them next to the stove.

I giggled at narrowboatlucy's Twitter profile; "I live on a narrowboat. Sometimes it is a bit cold in winter, yes. Mostly it's not. And, yes, it is very small. And, no, I don't have many pairs of shoes." :)