Traditional Folk Music

Incentive

Featured Posts

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction for tracking down some of the traditional songs of the canals and waterways?

A CD would be ideal.

Many thanks

Martin

Here's a couple of links:

http://chanteycabin.co.uk/Canal%20%26%20Longboat/Cannal.htm

http://www.rod.beavon.clara.net/songsand.htm

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction for tracking down some of the traditional songs of the canals and waterways?

A CD would be ideal.

Many thanks

Martin

Web Site 'Songs of the inland waterways' is another good source of info!

Edited by oasistoo

Hi

A CD would be ideal.

Many thanks

Martin

www.waterwaysongs.co.uk.

Most of the so-called traditional canal songs are fairly recent in origin, having been written by enthusiasts in the post-carrying years.

David

Miles of poly and we're the new number ones, its all you need.

The former because its quite catchy and bright, the latter because you can mutter it under your breath while watching a member of the SBP cock it having ignored your advice. Cynical old man, me, never... :unsure:

But yes, as said, there most all modern songs.

Daniel

Most of the so-called traditional canal songs are fairly recent in origin, having been written by enthusiasts in the post-carrying years.

I am reminded of Eric Sykes recording the "traditional boatman's song" in the film "The Bargee".

After the boaters agree that none of them know any traditional boating songs, he is treated to a hearty rendition of "Knees Up Mother Brown".

Better still is the dead-pan description of the ceremonies performed in the boating community "when one of their chiefs dies". ("Made a lovely blaze, he did"....)

I am reminded of Eric Sykes recording the "traditional boatman's song" in the film "The Bargee".

After the boaters agree that none of them know any traditional boating songs, he is treated to a hearty rendition of "Knees Up Mother Brown".

Better still is the dead-pan description of the ceremonies performed in the boating community "when one of their chiefs dies". ("Made a lovely blaze, he did"....)

Actually quite popular with the boatman was "Knees Up Mother Brown", along with other music hall greats like, "Keep your hands off, she's mine", and "Love is such a funny thing it makes a man a fool".

Eric: Half a Fathom, must enter that in the log.

Hemel to Ronnie: Enter it in ours, would you.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Cecil James Sharp (1859 - 1924) was England's most prolific folk music and dance collector

of what is now widely known as the first folk revival.

Link to English Folk Dance and Song Society

http://www.efdss.org/

The collected songs are on file at the Cecil Sharp House in London, together with many field

recordings. This reference material is available to contemporary folk song writers and students I'm sure,

check the website and contacts for anything you might find.

This may contain any canal related pre-enthusiast song(s). The popular songs, heard on the boats' early radios

from 1930's.

Recall reading in a book, about the Willow Wren carrying days, the Batchelors' hit ballad Ramona was popular among boatmen.

Martin,

I've been trying to answer this for the last week, but the stupid system at work wouldn't let me!!

As a singer of canal songs for many years, there isn't much recorded material around. There is/was a CD published by Fellside Recordings, called "The Bold Navigators" With Jon Raven and others.

Number is FTSR4.

www.fellside.com

If you can find any CD's by Gary & Vera Aspey, they played several canal songs from around the Lancashire area. I have copies of those.

There used to be a band called Pumpkin Pie in South Gloucestershire who did lots of canal songs, but I can't find any trace of them now.

Jon Raven and others published a book of canal songs in the 70's, of which I have a copy.

This web site has been mentioned and is very good

http://www.waterwaysongs.co.uk/SongMenu.htm

Hope that helps, but if you need any more info, please PM me.

• 4 months later...

Does anybody know if its possible to get the 'Code Breakers' CD by the late Buz Collins? I have his 'Water And Rain' CD (some very good canal songs on that, if thats what your after). I remember seeing him on the TV programme 'Water World' and he was singing quite a catchy tune about the cow that went thru Foulridge tunnel. Any idears???

Rob

Does anybody know if its possible to get the 'Code Breakers' CD by the late Buz Collins? I have his 'Water And Rain' CD (some very good canal songs on that, if thats what your after). I remember seeing him on the TV programme 'Water World' and he was singing quite a catchy tune about the cow that went thru Foulridge tunnel. Any idears???

Short answer NO

It was only ever released as a CD by Buz himself he made all the copies and did the labels and distribution. Seems unbelievable that its nearly 9 years since he left us. His funeral was for me both a sad day and a happy one as I said goodbye to a friend and it was the day I met my Wife.

Edited to add

There was a third Album of material on his PC which by now has probably gone, it would have been a fitting tribute if it had been released.

Edited by idleness

I am responsible for the Songs of the Inland Waterways website. All the recordings featuring canal songs (which I know about) can be found in the Reference section.

If anyone has any additional information regarding canal songs or recordings I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Good to know someone here is active in this scene. I have been singing some canal songs since the late 70's, for which I blame Gary & Vera and Bob Keaveney (Where's he know?)

Glad I was right about Pumpkin Pie. I sang at some of their sessions in Wotton-Under-Edge years ago. Nice couple.

I must get to some Folk Festivals soon.

Short answer NO

It was only ever released as a CD by Buz himself he made all the copies and did the labels and distribution. Seems unbelievable that its nearly 9 years since he left us. His funeral was for me both a sad day and a happy one as I said goodbye to a friend and it was the day I met my Wife.

Edited to add

There was a third Album of material on his PC which by now has probably gone, it would have been a fitting tribute if it had been released.

I have the CD 'Water and Rain' but was unaware of any others by Buz Collins. Does anyone have a copy of them that they could copy/lend/sell me so that the lyrics of any of his canal songs can be preserved? Similarly does anyone have a copy of the Waterworld programme or know when it was broadcast?

More information about Buz would be welcome. I know of his parental folk connection but little else.

Thanks

Ian

Andy Robinson, a canal boat dweller possibly in the Leicester area I believe, contactable via this link, is looking for sponsorship to release Buz's CD. Unfortunately it appears you have to join the reverbnation web-site to contact him (or Facebook or similar). I don't really want to do this so if anyone knows how he can be contacted that would be very helpful.

Andy Robinson, a canal boat dweller possibly in the Leicester area I believe, contactable via this link, is looking for sponsorship to release Buz's CD. Unfortunately it appears you have to join the reverbnation web-site to contact him (or Facebook or similar). I don't really want to do this so if anyone knows how he can be contacted that would be very helpful.

How can he say that Buz was an unknown member of the early Fairport entourage Buz was not even born then!

David

Most of the so-called canal boat traditionalists are fairly recent in origin, having become enthusiasts in the post-carrying years.

Mike

Edited by blackrose

Most of the so-called canal boat traditionalists are fairly recent in origin, having become enthusiasts in the post-carrying years.

Mike

Possibly David Blagrove is an exception? He is, after all, a life-long working boatman, and a founder member of the Boatmen Folk Group in the early sixties.

He did collect the 'Ballad of Tom Beechy', claimed to be a traditional boaters' song:

Tone