Morso Squirrel - grate broken/fell apart!

stuart

Featured Posts

I've got a Morso Squirrel stove on the boat, and noticed today whilst cleaning it out that the riddle grate has shattered and is in about 4 pieces now.

Worth checking yours if you have the same stove. The metal casting appears to be flaking off, and the whole thing has gone very brittle.

14022008309.jpg

Found a replacement, cheapest being Kings lock Chandlery for £32

http://www.kingslockchandlery.co.uk/wn/mio/pid/6960212

Anyone know any cheaper suppliers?

Hi Stuart,

Are you close enough to Kingslock to pick it up yourself - as I noted the price including VAT and delivery is just shy of £43.

I can have a word with one of my suppliers tomorrow to see if they can send direct to you - should save you a few quid at least if they can.

Cheers,

Andy

33.50 from Puffer Parts, I won't bother to link...

ed... I'll bet Limekiln will order one for you

Heatstore might be worth a call but they asked me for 60 quid for a Stovax ash pan; although that was Stovax rather than themselves...

Edited by Smelly

No help to Stuart, but the more I use the forum the less I understand why the Squirrel seems to have become the de-facto narrow boat stove.

Bits of them seem to need replacing, often expensively, on a regular basis, and people seem to think that getting 10 years out of the stove overall is quite good.

Surely some of the alternatives break less often, or are cheaper to fix, and have a longer overall service life ?

Edited by alan_fincher

No help to Stuart, but the more I use the forum the less I understand why the Squirrel seems to have become the de-facto narrow boat stove.

Bits of them seem to need replacing, often expensively, on a regular basis, and people seem to think that getting 10 years out of the stove overall is quite good.

Surely some of the alternatives break less often, or are cheaper to fix, and have a longer overall service life ?

With the magic that is hindsight, I'd agree!

The grate has lasted just about 5 years, and I think the ash pan needs replacing soon as well - can't believe thats nearly £50 for a metal tray !

With the magic that is hindsight, I'd agree!

The grate has lasted just about 5 years, and I think the ash pan needs replacing soon as well - can't believe thats nearly £50 for a metal tray !

:D

Massively expensive then ? Thats nearly 2 pence a week if you get 5 years from your ashpan.............

I think the ash pan needs replacing soon as well - can't believe thats nearly £50 for a metal tray !

£50 for an ash pan? Where are you looking?

How about £12.85?

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Heating/StoveSpares/AshPan/Hs019.aspx

Edited by Speedwheel

Well Lime Kiln Chandlers came through again - riddle grate for £22.

I've had a massive price range for this single item from £22 all the way up to £50 !

The ash pan was also the same story

£48.50 from here http://www.stovespares.co.uk/ashpan_morso-squirrel-1440-convector-stove.html

and £12.50 from here http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Heating/StoveSpares/AshPan/Hs019.aspx

Although - I am wondering if there are a set of copy parts available on the market - looking at how badly cast the new riddle grate is !

I think that years ago, before they were fashionable for houses, we didn't have too much choice. Now there are lots to choose from.

My coal man told me that some coals are too hot, and that I would get through riddle grates yearly if I used them.

If I was starting again I think I would look for an alternative.

• 2 years later...

Broken or melted grates are usually a result of forcing the fire to burn too hot, and or, allowing the ashpan to become over full so that the red hot ash encroaches on the grates bars and overheats them even more. I'm not a Morso fan either.

Broken or melted grates are usually a result of forcing the fire to burn too hot, and or, allowing the ashpan to become over full so that the red hot ash encroaches on the grates bars and overheats them even more. I'm not a Morso fan either.

You must be an eco fan then!

:D

MtB

As a refractory engineer I wonder about the merits of a ceramic hearth.

Main difficulty would be to produce a mould that would produce the said grate - Demoulding would be difficult but possible.

Using a high temperature , high strength refractory monolithic (Concrete) could give a grate that could be far more durable than a cast iron product. The introduction of a high % of Stainless steel fibres (aluminium coated to aid oxidation resistance) could massively add to the strength / longevity of the part.

Whilst the part would be massively cheaper , tooling costs would be high unless demand was sufficient.

Having been involved over the past 25 yrs with solid fuel brick parts I am amazed at the 'retail' prices for replacement firebrick specials - Parts that are sold for £1-£2 manufactured , retail at £18-£20 !!!!!

As a refractory engineer I wonder about the merits of a ceramic hearth.

Main difficulty would be to produce a mould that would produce the said grate - Demoulding would be difficult but possible.

Using a high temperature , high strength refractory monolithic (Concrete) could give a grate that could be far more durable than a cast iron product. The introduction of a high % of Stainless steel fibres (aluminium coated to aid oxidation resistance) could massively add to the strength / longevity of the part.

Whilst the part would be massively cheaper , tooling costs would be high unless demand was sufficient.

Having been involved over the past 25 yrs with solid fuel brick parts I am amazed at the 'retail' prices for replacement firebrick specials - Parts that are sold for £1-£2 manufactured , retail at £18-£20 !!!!!

I bought (high quality) kiln bricks (oversized for my Morso) and cut them down (with a cutting disc) to fit the Squirrel.

Much better quality than the originals - I think

(£40 for sufficient bricks to make 3 sets!)