2 stroke semi diesel.

Jacq

Featured Posts

The Kromhout I have has a large cylinder silencer/expansion pot which is cracked.If I remake this in stainless will it matter if i make it rectangular, keeping the same internal volume ? I know it uses this expansion box for scavaging,does the shape of the chamber matter?

I could keep the standard size, shape,but it is a tight fit in the boat.

Also it will end up about 30mm out of line with the shaft.Will a universal type joint cope reliably with this or can anyone recomend one of the flexible drives on the market. Cheers.

The Kromhout I have has a large cylinder silencer/expansion pot which is cracked.If I remake this in stainless will it matter if i make it rectangular, keeping the same internal volume ? I know it uses this expansion box for scavaging,does the shape of the chamber matter?

Also it will end up about 30mm out of line with the shaft.Will a universal type joint cope reliably with this or can anyone recomend one of the flexible drives on the market. Cheers.

No idea about the shape thing, I imagine the relative positions of inlet & outlet are significant, but square-ish expansion boxes were used by Bolinders on some models. Is your existing box beyond repair?

One universal joint is no good, but two on a Cardan shaft would easily cope (if they're big enough for the torque)

Tim

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.Its cast Iron,I have spoken to 2 welding firms,one woulnt do it and the other said he would give it a go but wouldnt know how it would go till he started,due to age, condition.I might try it and see how the repair goes.

Is your existing box beyond repair?

I would ask the same question. I had a successful repair made on the cast iron expansion box on the Seffle. There had been several other repairs done before I owned it.

I had mine welded, but I reckon I could have done a perfectly good job with one of the various stitching methods.

I would ask the same question. I had a successful repair made on the cast iron expansion box on the Seffle. There had been several other repairs done before I owned it.

I had mine welded, but I reckon I could have done a perfectly good job with one of the various stitching methods.

We had loads of early BMC 2.2 blocks stitched professionally by a company called Metaloc or some such. I believe they are still around and suspect this would be your bets course of action.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.Its cast Iron,I have spoken to 2 welding firms,one woulnt do it and the other said he would give it a go but wouldnt know how it would go till he started,due to age, condition.I might try it and see how the repair goes.

Depends on the nature of the crack, but a covering plate with screws tapped into the body can be successful (and simple to do).

Tim

If it is cast then welding would not be advised. There are many other methods to repair cast though e.g. cold metal stitching.

cast iron can be welded but it is sometimes easier to use a form of mig brazing to repair damaged castings. i have welded a large section of kelvin poppet valve water jacket back together but the main thing with welding cast is the cost of the rods, which kromhout have you got? whereabouts is it?

tom

There's a small 'icebreaker' type narrowboat amongst the Claydon locks at the moment with a Kromhout single in. No name painted on the side and I didn't catch the name off the license either. The next lock was waiting for me.

It is mainly brown in colour. good looking boat.

Anyone know which one, without breaking any data protection laws of course.

Edit to say.... About a year ago there was a clip of a tractor thingy with one of these engines going like the clappers down a (I think) German road. Looked and sounded fantastic. Can't find it on You Tube now.

Edited by Nightwatch1

There's a small 'icebreaker' type narrowboat amongst the Claydon locks at the moment with a Kromhout single in. No name painted on the side and I didn't catch the name off the license either. The next lock was waiting for me.

It is mainly brown in colour. good looking boat.

Anyone know which one, without breaking any data protection laws of course.

Yes I've seen that too. Very nice little boat that the owner built himself. (I have a hunch it maybe called Florence but maybe barking up the wrong tree. Edit - think I'm wrong)

Edited by Speedwheel

Edit to say.... About a year ago there was a clip of a tractor thingy with one of these engines going like the clappers down a (I think) German road. Looked and sounded fantastic. Can't find it on You Tube now.

Try looking under Lanz Bulldog. I haven't looked, just a likely pointer.

Tim

I was taught gas welding years ago, and yes this casting could be repaired. I would heat the entire casting to de-stress before attempting the repair. Its likely that the casting is brittle and I would actually braze the cracks. I would also drill small holes at the end of of the crack to further de-stress the casting before staring work

Try looking under Lanz Bulldog. I haven't looked, just a likely pointer.

Tim

I did and found this. Can't 'do' links but hope this works.

Doesn't seem as fast now, but still impressive.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJP5t3xh_nA&feature=related

Martyn

Heating up to de stress it sounds good.I have also been told that grit blasting may have a similar effect ?

Heres some pics of the cracks.

Kromhoutsilencer003.jpg

Kromhoutsilencer002.jpg

Kromhoutsilencer001.jpg

The expansion pot is very heavy, I estimate at least 150 kg.Still cant decide if its best to just try and remake in stainless,which will be much lighter.

Many years ago I got a good look at a clown's exploding Model T. You know the one, where the wings fall off, the doors fall off, a pyro is up the exhaust etc.

I have never seen before or since a more welded-up engine. There were stitch welds on the head, plates welded on the block, there were more weld repairs than engine.

(Should that be there was more weld repair than engine?).

Tony

How about fitting a band around the silencer and tightening it up? A strap with a couple of lugs on the end with a bolt through. It would be a fairly typical repair for an engine of that age

Richard

Otherwise, I think that would weld up OK