Favourite song.

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

Following hotly in the footsteps of the favourite book thread, what is your favourite song?

My favourite, of many favourites, is 'Sinking' from the 1986 'The Head on the Door' album from The Cure. A very underrated album I think.

You tube link, The Cure live. This should be played at max volume, in a darkend room...

Following hotly in the footsteps of the favourite book thread, what is your favourite song?

My favourite, of many favourites, is 'Sinking' from the 1986 'The Head on the Door' album from The Cure. A very underrated album I think.

You tube link, The Cure live. This should be played at max volume, in a darkend room...

Until a few years ago this would have been very hard to answer because it would have depended upon my mood etc. However, like most parents, I am immensely proud of my children and at last all those years of "Get into that room and do your practise/homework/etc." seems to have paid off.

My favourite is "Food Club" written by my son and performed by the 5 piece he formed - even if some ignorant Guardian bird bird buzzed it off Radio 2 :( I well remember the bar staff a a Reading bar getting up on the bar and dancing to it because the whole bar was rocking. It also seem to have captured some of the "poor lyric" humour of the time it imitates.

What I found most refreshing is that he dismisses it as "just a pastiche".

If you want a link and I apologise because it a commercial one you will find it on link to CD site

Of many records which I've come to love during many years' devotion to music, my absolute favourite doesn't even have any lyrics, nor very much of a melody, but the mood which it creates is flawless and timeless: 'Green Onions' by Booker T & The MGs, which hit me like a missile when i first heard it on Tony Hall's Radio Luxemburg programme as a new release, and whose appeal has not diminished one iota.

After almost as many years, 'I Had A Talk With My Man' by Mitty Collier still brings a tear to my eyes through its sheer soul and beauty.

You forgot the comma which, in best 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' manner, completely changes the title's meaning frpm "Paint it a dark colour" to "Paint it, emergent national".

Edited by Athy

You forgot the comma which, in best 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' manner, completely changes the title's meaning frpm "Paint it a dark colour" to "Paint it, emergent national".

True, and well pointed out. Several smartarse rejoinders spring to mind but at least one of them is probably illegal.

Fairport Convention, 'Who knows where the time goes' written by the late great Sandy Denny always brings a lump to my throat. (Even now while typing this!)

But Casta Diva sung by Callas runs a close second (Can this be called a mere 'song'?)

Edited by NBMike

It has to be ... This!

More memories of crackly, fady (?) Radio Luxemburg! I remember asking for this for Christmas and my parents refusing to buy it for me because it was in bad taste. Mr. Pickett's ghoulish offering sounds very mild now compared with much which has followed it.

'Who Knows Where the Time Goes' was played by Fairport at this year's Cropredy Festival - sung by Vicky Clayton? Not sure - and it is indeed affecting, perhaps more so than the band's regular finale 'Meet On The Ledge' which, I was amazed to find out, was composed by Richard Thompson when he was about 19.

Fairport Convention, 'Who knows where the time goes' written by the late great Sandy Denny always brings a lump to my throat. (Even now while typing this!)

But Casta Diva sung by Callas runs a close second (Can this be called a mere 'song'?)

As a song, 'Who knows where the time goes' is very special and although the 'Unhalfbricking' version is my personal favourite, I also enjoy hearing the song performed by Judy Collins and Kate Rusby. Linked to Sandy Denny (who I saw perform the song live in 1968) are my memories of performances by Alex Campbell in the 1960s, a singer/songwriter who should take some of the credit for Sandy's early development and who deserves much greater recognition for his own work. Sadly both are no longer with us but for pure nostalgia, any recording of the raucous Glaswegian's 'So Long (Been on the Road So Long)' brings back some happy memories . . .

Stephane Grapelli - You took advantage of me

Cabaret Voltaire - Yashar

Birthday Party - Mutiny in Heaven

John Tavener - Lamb (sung by the Tallis Scholars)

Jah Wobble - The Sun Does Rise

The Residents - What have my chickens done now.

William Byrd - Mass for 4 voices (sung by the Tallis Scholars)

Dead Kennedy's - California Uber Alles

Though only if I was forced, at gun point, to pick out individual tracks, from my favourite artists.

Edited to say: Then again there's also The Cramps - The Crusher, Velvet Underground - The Gift, Tones on Tail - Go, SLF - Alternative Ulster, Colorbind James - Jesus at the Still, X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescent...it is an impossible task!

Edited by carlt

Got to be something by Leonard Cohen. Probably 'Sing Another Song Boys', though run close by 'Famous Blue Raincoat' and 'Closing Time'. Without words... the second movement of Tchaikovsky's Fourth; the first piece of music that ever made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Golly, this is terribly personal isn't it.

Difficult, difficult. Possibly "Mrs Potter's Lullaby" by the Counting Crows, but I don't know if that will stand the test of the years. For something that still makes my scalp contract, years later, "Cactus Tree" by Joni Mitchell.

MP.

Mrs Potter

Cactus Tree clicky

... the elephants will get out and forget to remember what you said.

Edited to add: both songs about loneliness, I wonder what that says?

Edited by MoominPapa

Such a difficult choice but

This

Remains an enduring favourite of mine -

a simple lyric, beautifully sung (Just IMHO you understand).

Edited by MJG

Well... if we're doing lists.

High on the list must be the Eurotunnel mix of Lush 3:1 by Orbital

Paranoid Android by Radiohead

Gorecki by Lamb

The Rabbit's Name by A&E Dept

Rose Rouge by St Germaine

Private Road by Bent

American Wedding by Gogol Bordello

The W.A.N.D by the Flaming Lips

The theme from Ironside, was it Herbie Hancock? I nearly got beaten up outside Manchester Oxford Rd when that big horn break inspired me to wave my arms about a few years ago.

Part of the Process by Morcheeba, 10 000 folk singing along in a field at Glasto will live with me forever.

Pretty much anything by Robert Johnson

Eat Yourself by Goldfrapp

and why oh why did Moloko sell out? Their first sampler, released before they got House was inspirational...

Some of us haven't the bandwidth for YouTube :(

Mine was Cara Dillon (with John Smith) - The Redcastle Sessions - If I Prove False

A pity you can't hear it -