Mooring Charges

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

On my way back through Yorkshire, I need to leave Cygnet for a week somewhere handy for transport. South Yorkshire Boat Club being chockablock with a rally, and not wanting to leave her abandoned just anywhere, I decided that Selby Boat Centre or Goole Boathouse would do (I've left the boat in both boatyards before). Gave Selby a ring and asked how much for a 27ft narrowboat. "We charge £15 per day" Stunned silence at my end, then I politely declined their offer (well, I did laugh).

Decided to go down to Goole in person on the boat (3 hours)and ask. "Oh yes, you've been before haven't you? I think we'll make it £14.69 (???) for the week. Here's the key- doesn't matter about a deposit." I was if possible even more stunned, but hastily got some money out.

Was the first greed/a put off/a mistake? Was the second my charming manner/my appearance of abject poverty/a mistake? How can two boatyards in the same area have an almost eight times disparity in casual mooring charges? Anyway, you can guess where Cygnet will be for the next week.

Mac

still cheaper than most of our south coast salty marinas and harbours, my last vist to

Ramsgate cost me £37 per night, that does include showers, electric and free weather

updates <_<

Blimey! I'd want guaranteed sunshine for that price!

In June I had to take hubby in to A&E at Milton Keynes Hospital with pulmonary edema. He got excellent treatment at the hospital and was released late in the day with the admonition to stay where we could be reached by ambulance in case he worsened again overnight.

We returned to the boat, and I moved it into Milton Keynes Marina to have easy road access. The office was closed by that time, and I tied up on the designated visitor mooring. Despite my efforts to find an after hours telephone number, I was unable to contact staff that night. We used no services overnight.

The next morning I went into the office first thing. On being asked if we "had been to the theater", I explained the situation. Without batting any eye, the manageress quoted 15 GBP per night for their visitor mooring and offered to allow us to stay longer if we needed to at that same rate for each night. I was allowed to fill up with water and empty a toilet cassette. As Bill was feeling all right, we moved on. I thought this pricey for a site without showers or laundry.

How much would they be these days, then? Last one I parked the old Commer Dormobile in cost a fiver (mind you, that was 1982).

Anyway, leaving my boat for a week would be the equivalent of parking a small caravan in a corner out of the way with no services. Some places are so inflexible, while others go out of their way to accommodate your requirements.

How much would they be these days, then? Last one I parked the old Commer Dormobile in cost a fiver (mind you, that was 1982).

Anyway, leaving my boat for a week would be the equivalent of parking a small caravan in a corner out of the way with no services. Some places are so inflexible, while others go out of their way to accommodate your requirements.

Small sites - anyrhing from £5 to £15 a night but usually about a tenner (I'm guessing - its five years since the campervsn carked it). But last time we paid for a site with full services it was about £20 a night IIRC. Didn't they want £40 a night to park at the national? Anyway, I'll shut up, don't want anyone to get any ideas.

One of my sons has a Caravan and he and his family of five and three dogs usually go for a all singing and dancing site with electric hook up,wyfi, tv point the lot. Works out at about £15 a night.

How does that compare. We as boaters are being ripped off.

Martyn

Martyn your son is getting a bargain therem my brother has just got back from a weeks camping at Thorpe Park Cleethorpes and it cost him £25 a night and a further £20 per person to use the entertainment facilities. Now that is a rip off when they served up watery piss masquerading as Bitter at £3 a pint, :angry::angry:

It is of no suprise that different marinas have a different rate for visitor moorings. Most we have visited (although thats not many as we prefer BW visitor moorings where possible) have been worked out on the basis of boat length. The most we have paid was £16 per night at Hull Marina for a 25ft boat.

• 1 year later...

I hereby declare tonight official "search our business name on the forum, and then revive old posts which mention said business in any way by posting in them in a promotional manner" night.

Fecking hell, if I stayed in a hotel and had the hotel chasing me up two years later asking me to review them, I have a fair idea of what I might say...

• 11 months later...

It is of no suprise that different marinas have a different rate for visitor moorings. Most we have visited (although thats not many as we prefer BW visitor moorings where possible) have been worked out on the basis of boat length. The most we have paid was £16 per night at Hull Marina for a 25ft boat.

Hull seems positively cheap now after Southwold.

£22.30 a night!

For a 23 ft boat.

(NC shrinks when harbour masters ask how long she is :))