BW Workboats - Online Auction

Josher

Featured Posts

I cannot offer a massive amount of time or money, but always keen to get in on a good project!

Certainly if you do end up with her keep intouch.

Daniel

Translated as.... I will thrash it up and down the Trent now and again when I'm in the mood ;)

Hiya HMallet. Any more goss' on the good boat Mantis would be very much appreciated. Whereabouts is it roughly, for example. What would it have been used for ? Many thanks Norm (Chesh)

It has been moored by the Vyrnwy Aqueduct on the Montgomery Canal for a while now. As for what it was used for, no idea!

Anyone know what sort of condition Pinner is in?

From the Photo's it looks like she's still out of the water at the Bradley workshops

I spent several hours inspecting PINNER on 04 October 2004. I was both shocked and appalled by its condition and to my eye PINNER is the worst metal hulled G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor boat that I have seen - and I have seen and photographed all G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats that survive ! The best bit about PINNER back then was its pair of original diesel 'corner' tanks.

I spent several hours inspecting PINNER on 04 October 2004. I was both shocked and appalled by its condition and to my eye PINNER is the worst metal hulled G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. motor boat that I have seen - and I have seen and photographed all G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boats that survive ! The best bit about PINNER back then was its pair of original diesel 'corner' tanks.

Worse than Taygeta?

Pinner is all there still, over half of 'Deimos' is missing altogether......

The water level is just to high!

How much dosh would BW want to run off a couple of feet of water from this pond? They appear to have no problem emptying the rest of the L & L . If that was a privately owned boat, they'd soon be reading the riot act to get it shifted- things have got really bad when we see sights like this.

Bill

Worse than Taygeta?

Pinner is all there still, over half of 'Deimos' is missing altogether......

Any boat that has been on B.W.B. maintenance duties for over 30 years is going to be in poor condition whether it is 'TAYGETA' or PINNER.

I do not see any correlation between condition and what exists of the original. The important thing about DEIMOS is that it retains both of its ends, and the ruthless way in which it has been modified is simply a part of its history.

I am sure with the passing of time all of these boats will re-appear as shiny, over restored examples of a boat that they never were - including 'TAYGETA', PINNER and DEIMOS !

Not that I can afford to bit (even at the very reasonable starting price), but I am very taken with Praxis - Add a decent-sized winch on deck, and she'd be easily the most capable salvage tug on the Broads (I'd be tempted to use that huge pump to feed an optional water jet system for extra thrust and manoeuvrability options, not to mention installing a fire main and associated systems).

Oh well, looks like that's one little business idea that'll have to wait...

Can anyone offer more info about Aynho ?

I assume it has no engine (Alan F - only because other boats in the sale have their engines mentioned).

The picture is v similar to that on here http://www.workingboats.org.uk/boats/GUCCCo/Aynho.aspx

Whats a lavender boat ? Is that like a Honey Wagon which empties septic tanks ?

Is it still at Limehouse ?

Thx

Edited by jake_crew

There is a heritage hopper near the top of the list that states that it needs repairing and low down at the bottom there is a riveted iron Hopper would this not also be considered a Heritage hopper?Also Effingham was at one stage i believe being taken to Tisley to be repaired,why is that not listed as in need of repair ditto Pinner there does not seem to be a great deal of consistency of description.The picture do help as would a visit to them,just a bit disquieting to potential bidders. :unsure:

Edited by greywolf

The important thing about DEIMOS is that it retains both of its ends, and the ruthless way in which it has been modified is simply a part of its history.

If the condition it's now in is simply part of its history, why is retaining its ends any more important than retaining its original knees and side plating. By your way of thinking, surely if it's been cut in half and made into two boats, would that not enhance its history?

If the condition it's now in is simply part of its history, why is retaining its ends any more important than retaining its original knees and side plating. By your way of thinking, surely if it's been cut in half and made into two boats, would that not enhance its history?

I can accept all 'historic' boats for what they are, or have what they have become.