Narrow Boat Trust - where are you?

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

First two things I was shown by old boatman was "don't stand alongside Ram's head, stand on the step" and "don't sit on the cabin when steering" that's not how we did it! It's the youngsters with bad habit's who do it now"

I've seen historic pictures of Ted Ward sitting on the roof whilst steering Redshank.

Maffi,

It just that there was a BW notice at the waterpoint saying boats going south to Oxford should not use Dukes due to falling water levels in the river. I wondered why you chose that route that's all.

I have been told in the past to use Dukes cut, as it is very shallow into Oxford.

Yes you did 5'6" but not when you posted the picture! What was actually said was "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, Exhibits A and B for your consideration."

I did not post the pictures or add the comment the posting was done by another trust Member for me ( anyone know how to get photo bucket to work on an Apple Mac please )

Nothing wrong with your eye sight then. Occasionally bollox is exactly the right word.

Actually there is something wrong with my eye sight I badly damaged an eye more than 40 years ago and have not seen out of it since.

Oh really when did they move that up there then? Bloody BW 200 + years that lock has been south of Thrupp and now they have gone and moved it. Is nothing sacred?

My mistake

See you in October.

Edited by barry adams

Was going to post this thought earlier but didn't want to intrude into the excellent running joke...

If, as I believe, such problems as there are in encounters with NBT, Tarporley etc are in large part down to the volunteer crews and all that that entails in terms of training, discipline, staffing levels etc - how does it augur for the vision of a future BW substantially staffed by volunteer labour?

Edited by Chertsey

I volunteer on three 'preserved' railways which are staffed almost entirely by volunteers.

A commonly held misconception is that you cannot demand high standards of workmanship from volunteers.

In truth the opposite is true - because the work is unpaid, the job satisfaction is the only reward. To be set a high standard and achieve it is far better than being expected to achieve little, and achieving that.

Volunteers thrive on challenges.

I volunteer on three 'preserved' railways which are staffed almost entirely by volunteers.

A commonly held misconception is that you cannot demand high standards of workmanship from volunteers.

In truth the opposite is true - because the work is unpaid, the job satisfaction is the only reward. To be set a high standard and achieve it is far better than being expected to achieve little, and achieving that.

You may often *get* high standards of workmanship from volunteers. But the truth is you can't *demand* anything from them.

Trains/choo choos/steam engines/locomotives/rolling stock/carriages/trucks etc run on delicious railway tracks with points! So it's just a matter of organisation and straight forward training. Narrow boats thought, can only move along what available water there is and there are a multitude of variables of circumstances plus far more physical effort. So thus to become proficient at being a steerer/skipper/captain and commanding a crew and two boats can take some time - especially if you don't do it everyday. Lots of balls to juggle with. Some learn quicker, some learn slower.

No signals, no lines and not just an engine driver.

I like trains but there was always something about boats that attracted me from a very early age.....

Is it the self determination?

Edited by Roger t' Bodger

I've seen historic pictures of Ted Ward sitting on the roof whilst steering Redshank.

Quite a few of the northern boatman in the 50`s/60`s era sat on the cabin tops, the SHROPPIE being the most likely place to see them on the long pounds audlem/drayton, norbury/ wheaton aston / cut end, did it my self, even found a piece of foam to fill up the space between handrail & cabin slide frame much more comfortable Agree about standing on the footboard/step & I used to close the cabin doors behind me [something else to lean on]+ if it was raining/snowing you only the top half exposed to the weather & the range sent up a warm fug.

Trains/choo choos/steam engines/locomotives/rolling stock/carriages/trucks etc run on delicious railway tracks with points! So it's just a matter of organisation and straight forward training. Narrow boats thought, can only move along what available water there is and there are a multitude of variables of circumstances plus far more physical effort. So thus to become proficient at being a steerer/skipper/captain and commanding a crew and two boats can take some time - especially if you don't do it everyday. Lots of balls to juggle with. Some learn quicker, some learn slower.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the general public were allowed to come along and put their own engines on preserved lines, to run alongside (well in front of, or behind) the railway societie's kit.

I imagine there would be a few more altercations than if it was just weekend rides on the resident trains.

Edited by carlt

Roger t'Bodger doesn't realise that volunteers on preserved lines are also subject to the full scrutiny of the ORR, so have to be "proven" that they are fully conversant with the Rule Books, which are as onnerous as those on Network Rail.

Roger t'Bodger doesn't realise that volunteers on preserved lines are also subject to the full scrutiny of the ORR, so have to be "proven" that they are fully conversant with the Rule Books, which are as onnerous as those on Network Rail.

But the consequences of disregarding the OOR (sorry I haven't Googled it) I'm guessing is not as serious for a preserved railway volunteer as they would be for somebody employed to run trains on NR.

An employer has disciplinary sanctions up to dismissal, a volunteer organisation??? yes you require they no longer turn up to help but so what - hardly a problem.

I think that is the premise of Sarah's post.....she raises an important issue in terms of BW being staffed with volunteers...

But the consequences of disregarding the OOR (sorry I haven't Googled it) I'm guessing is not as serious for a preserved railway volunteer as they would be for somebody employed to run trains on NR.<snip>

Depends what you mean. People can die on preserved railways the same as on the main line. Railways can be closed.

Don't forget that the rails mean that trains cannot swerve to avoid a collision

Richard

I'm trying to ignore that partronising crap from Roger about choo-choos earlier on

Its still well defined rules with clear boundaries. It's not like that on the cut today with all sorts taking their holiday 'motor' out without an knowledgable imprint of which side to pass on! As I say railway lines are easy to impose rules thats why they were sooooo successful! Anyone can learn to do it if they have the desire or aptitude on rail or on the cut. Its just that it isn't broken down into little roles like it is on the railways.

Depends what you mean. People can die on preserved railways the same as on the main line. Railways can be closed.

Richard

I'm trying to ignore that partronising crap from Roger about choo-choos earlier on

Of course if a volunteer really messes up and as a result somebody dies there will be consequences for them personally and the organisation they volunteer for.

I was referring to less serious issues up to the point of somebody dying or being injured as a result of a persons actions/inactions.

An employer can invoke sanctions up to dismissal to manage an employees conduct, I don't believe a volunteer organisation can do the same....

Richard

I was a dedicate railway enthusiast (along with traction engines and buses) for many years because there was sod all all else to cut me teeth on in sodding Essex where all steam was eradicated in 1957. I was a member of the Coln Valley Railway and help to restore signalling, the station and help through my dad to recover essential signalling equipment from the industrial lines of the Becton Gas Works and Royal Docks of London. I was also an an award winning railway modeller with features in the Railway Modeller Magazine. Then I discovered sex, drugs and rock & roll (through my mates at art college) with help from my neighbour Ian Dury. I'm not saying that was the best way forward but it wasn't really as antisocial as being an arsehole. Why did I turn my back on railways? Cos it was full of meticulous rivet counters. Life is too short for that - well, my life is now!