Gravel Run

LEO

Featured Posts

DSCF1226.jpg

The Trust was offered Ashby Canal Transport Ltd for a token when it was wound up a dozen years (or so) ago. (the trust were by then just about their only customer/contractor) How much nicer it would have looked on the boats if that had become the trust's trading arm.

Good to see the boats looking smart, even if it is a missed opportunity.....

The Trust was offered Ashby Canal Transport Ltd for a token when it was wound up a dozen years (or so) ago. (the trust were by then just about their only customer/contractor) How much nicer it would have looked on the boats if that had become the trust's trading arm.

Good to see the boats looking smart, even if it is a missed opportunity.....

Twelve years ago? Ancient history.

God forbid you should should ever say something positive about the Trust.

Thank you very much to this link with the photographs of your beautiful boats, and have a good trip with this heavy load.

I'm looking forward to see the pictures of your trip from Alvecote to Oxford.

Peter.

Kind words, thank you. Will be sure to post some photos from the trip.

If you go to the 'Photos of your boat' thread you'll find I've put some links to a few snaps on Photobucket.

I hadn't heard about this so was very surprised to see them passing Braunston yesterday, whilst on the water point by the junction.

Great to see, they said that they'd be unloading at Atherstone today.

I think the point John's making is that if you're on a motor, it's a lot harder to hear what's being said from the bank- hence the smiling and nodding, rather than replying! :lol:

Aah, thought there might be some pun intended, but after a long day at work, my brain was fried and i couldn't work it out!

Regards

Dan

Some more pictures...

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

I did get a couple of videos of the boats making the turn at Hawkesbury. Youtube is playing up tonight but watch this space...

Great footage. I have often gone round that turn but never in anything more than forty-odd feet long! The steerer made it look, if not actually easy, at least nothing to get het up about. I have two questions:

- I noticed the steerer pumping the tiller as he rounded the turn. This is something I sometimes do when going round a sharp bend but I am never sure if it's actually beneficial. Does it enable you to turn more sharply?

- Why do nearly all You Tube videos, including this one, stop every ten or twelve seconds and wind themselves up before continuing? It makes for rather disjointed viewing.

Edited by Athy

Great footage. I have often gone round that turn but never in anything more than forty-odd feet long! The steerer made it look, if not actually easy, at least nothing to get het up about. I have two questions:

- I noticed the steerer pumping the tiller as he rounded the turn. This is something I sometimes do when going round a sharp bend but I am never sure if it's actually beneficial. Does it enable you to turn more sharply?

- Why do nearly all You Tube videos, including this one, stop every ten or twelve seconds and wind themselves up before continuing? It makes for rather disjointed viewing.

1) I'm absolutely convinced "pumping" the tiller helps turns like this. It has been much debated on here before, and people have given scientific reasons why it can't, I think, but if you are there doing it, it is not for dramatic effect, usually, believe me. It's always worked for me.

This run showed very different approaches in the way the steerers operated. Steve steering Themis in the video, was certainly at the "use just enough power, and concentrate carefully on position" end of the spectrum, and watching him bring Themis with Callisto breasted down the snaking 7 locks at Marsworth was a joy to behold. Some of the other boats used a lot more speed wheel, more black smoke, and lots of thrashing white water. Perhaps a better spectacle for the spectators, but doubtful they were travelling any faster over all, and undoubtedly burning a lot more of the precious red stuff.

2) You tube performance depends on connection speed mostly. Your broadband can't keep up with the transfer of data, as fast as you are watching it. It happens for me on some videos, but only rarely. One like Liams there just plays straight through. I'm on a fast Virgin cable connection at home. I'd not expect that video to work if I was on a modem "dongle" on the boat.

(That video should be shown to the many people who can't get 40 to 60 foot of boat, unloaded, around that turn!)

Very many thanks to all for posting many good shots. I think future history books will have 'added value' because of it.

Steve did well to get Themis round with just a little shunt. I'm surprised with so many hangers-on someone didn't take a line off the fore end and use the bridge hook. Has it been cut off? Well done all the same.

Yes, 'swimming' the rudder helps get more sideways movement simultaneously slowing forward movement and getting round better in tight turns.

Derek

Tip. Once the video has started playing, click the 'play' button and pause the film. You'll see a pale red line continue across the bottom of the player. This is the video downloading to your computer. When its completed the job, click play and you're sorted.... :lol:

This run showed very different approaches in the way the steerers operated. Steve steering Themis in the video, was certainly at the "use just enough power, and concentrate carefully on position" end of the spectrum, and watching him bring Themis with Callisto breasted down the snaking 7 locks at Marsworth was a joy to behold. Some of the other boats used a lot more speed wheel, more black smoke, and lots of thrashing white water. Perhaps a better spectacle for the spectators, but doubtful they were travelling any faster over all, and undoubtedly burning a lot more of the precious red stuff.

I can guess who the one of the more gung-ho steerers was.... Though he can still handle a boat far better than I can!

10 mins ago....

apparently Chris who was steering Joe has made a "miraculous " recovery and made it back to work without any side effects !!

Well...

He does have a bandage thing on his arm, he CLAIMS he did it whilst using a windlass but I heard someone say "pole dancing accident" on the health and safety form.

Archie and Ara are now unloaded

Victoria and Themis are next

BUT Mike on Victoria has destroyed another rubber doughnut coupling.. not having a lot of luck

Well...

He does have a bandage thing on his arm, he CLAIMS he did it whilst using a windlass but I heard someone say "pole dancing accident" on the health and safety form.

James and Tom have the video

( allegedly)

Although I heard another version which involved a trampoline and a bath full of rice pudding !!!

lol

Well...

Well I think he is viewing the thread, so perhaps he can clarify. :lol:

Well done to him anyway. That Joey looked far harder work than a "proper" butty, and he was doing pretty good!

I can guess who the one of the more gung-ho steerers was.... Though he can still handle a boat far better than I can!

I have a rather interesting video of a certain person taking his motor round Hawkesbury. It makes for interesting viewing... more on that later :lol:

Youtube is doing my bloody head in!!!! I tried half of last night, and all this afternoon/evening to try and get a few videos uploaded, but it keeps failing. Is anybody else or has anybody else had problems recently, or is it just me??

I'm trying a Youtube uploader tool at the minute but that keeps restarting :lol:

I'm having problems with Youtube at the minute so for now here are the shorter videos. I'm trying my best to get the one of Tom rounding Hawkesbury Junction as that is the most "interesting" but for now...

Victoria at Hawkesbury Junction

James bow hauling Ara into Sutton Stop Lock

James checking Ara in Sutton Stop Lock