Help! has anyone seen my boat?

dccruiser

Featured Posts

I 'think' this car advert is the same type of thing.....

The 'personal' registration (or not as it looks) will require about 3 -4 weeks to remove from the car before you can sell it.

Its present registration will stay on it until DVLA issue a new number and send a V5 document. You will be unable to confirm its new number until they have actually sent the V5 which plays for time again...as it makes it difficult for the buyer to take possesion of the car.

The car number does not exist at the DVLA, the bike does. There must be something odd about the car.

:lol: ...... how can you tell that the car number doesn't exist?

If you just want to check if a number plate matches the make and model of the vehicle to which it's attached; try using a car spares website that uses registration numbers to help identify the correct item, e.g. Halfords Clicky ... when you put a valid number in, it will confirm the make and model of the car (in most cases !).

The car number does not exist at the DVLA, the bike does. There must be something odd about the car.

....not neccessarily....

From the DVLA website:-

"When a vehicle is registered with another registration number, that vehicle will have its existing registration number withdrawn"

and as far as I can tell, that number goes back on the car when the personal plate is 'removed' - That was certainly the case when my son-in-laws lease car (which used to sport a personal plate) was returned to the leasing company - He placed the personal plate 'on retention' and the car got it's original identity back.

I would imagine, in this case, that the seller is 'in the process' of 'retaining' the personal plate and has photo'd the car with the identity that will be returned to it.

I suspect you would have little or no comeback if you got this particular boat surveyed after purchase, and it turned out to have serious problems.

Given that most of your £8K is going on a very basic shell, and (possibly!) an engine, absolutely nothing is said in the advert about the builder of the shell, plate thicknesses, and particularly condition.

If it were near rusted through, (not that I think it would be), I still don't think you could pull "not as described", because it really isn't described, is it ?

If this is the boat that Julie looked at not that long back at a local marina, I'd be intrigued to see the brokers details of it from then, internal pictures, and the price being charged.

Can't get my brain around why anyone would do what has been done to a fitted, painted boat, if they wanted to sell it, and it was all fully legit.

I definately looked at Hazell's Locks, it was originally a bit of a project but they because it did not sell and the vendor - young bloke. 30ish, had it refitted and it looked really nice. It was for sale at about twice the amount on Ebay. So - I wonder how it can depreciate that rapidly in value - perhaps they took the engin out.

Perhaps it would be worth contacting Cowroast Marina?

....not neccessarily....

"When a vehicle is registered with another registration number, that vehicle will have its existing registration number withdrawn"

and as far as I can tell, that number goes back on the car when the personal plate is 'removed' - That was certainly the case when my son-in-laws lease car (which used to sport a personal plate) was returned to the leasing company - He placed the personal plate 'on retention' and the car got it's original identity back.

I would imagine, in this case, that the seller is 'in the process' of 'retaining' the personal plate and has photo'd the car with the identity that will be returned to it.

The normal course of events is that when the personal plate is removed (either put on retention or another vehicle), the original vehicle is issued with a new registered number, which conforms date wise to the date of manufacture or first registration of the vehicle. Which is why my Landy is on it's third registration.

Iain

P.S. The insurance clicky above works for me, but the Halfords one doesn't.

Edited by Iain_S

It was for sale at about twice the amount on Ebay. So - I wonder how it can depreciate that rapidly in value - perhaps they took the engin out.

If the winning bid on ebay was only half what the seller was hoping to get for it, that could be why he is apparently reluctant to complete the sale.

Odd .... just double checked and it still works for me ... to get there manually, navigate to "halfords.com", hover over "car maintenance" then choose "engine oils and additives" from the drop down that appears, then click on "engine oil" (bottom left-ish on the screen)

....not neccessarily....

I have regularly transfered reg numbers....and the DVLA will not confirm which number goes back onto the car ...you have to wait for the V5.

It is not automatic that it gets the original number back....most times it does....but I have had 2 odd ones....

Its a pain....as it makes it time consuming to sell the car.

As for Ebay.....in my 10+ years of trading...I have seen many scams and lost money and goods with no comeback.

I was 'scammed' for some coins.......as follows :

A trader calling himself 'Gordon Adams' offered some nice coins. He had been trading for 2 years..had top feedback of over 100...and even had an 'about me' page on Ebay. It showed a tall white guy saying his interests were motorbikes....and showed him running marathons for charity etc.

Turned out that Mr Adams was a short Asian guy operating from an internet cafe in London. They had spent 2 years setting up the scam...and then went for the big 'hit'...advertising valuable coins......many lots...and getting over £100k !!

Ebay..?....not interested...(there was..small print) Paypal...?....some small print....The Metropoluitan police..?...'this happens all the time...we can't keep up with it...here's a crime number'....

Ebay didn't even shut his account down despite the police presence.....so you have NO protection there.

Hopefully..your boat will resolve...but there is the possibilty that others asked the seller to deal off Ebay...( I often do) ..he could have collected several lots of £8000 already.....

You sent him money despite him saying he didn't want it... if he was ever called to account for it before he emigrates (possibly)..he could just claim that he had told you not to send money and therefore did not know it was in his account..

If he did not own the boat in the first place...ie...just took a picture of a random likely boat...not too expensive that it would attract huge police investigation....you have no rights to the boat whatsoever...

After all..I could do that......in fact...if I was emgrating......it seems a good plan...Hmmm..now..that sounds good...

Bob (who may soon emigrate)

I have regularly transfered reg numbers....and the DVLA will not confirm which number goes back onto the car ...you have to wait for the V5.

It is not automatic that it gets the original number back....most times it does....

and for this reason it is worth keeping the old plates to save you a few quid when you put the number back on, obviously if you don't get the number back you'd chuck 'em but if you do...

My old ones are hung up in the garage.....

Odd .... just double checked and it still works for me ... to get there manually, navigate to "halfords.com", hover over "car maintenance" then choose "engine oils and additives" from the drop down that appears, then click on "engine oil" (bottom left-ish on the screen)

put my car reg in so know its real but tells me they cant find no match.

put my car reg in so know its real but tells me they cant find no match.

I got pulled by the police, recently when an ANPR camera flagged my reg number up as non-existent.

I showed them my documents (the tax disc in the wallet amused them) and they said the computer had okayed the tax, insurance and mot but said the reg number was not recorded.

They said that the anomaly was usually associated with getaway vehicles and, when I remarked that the Rover was ideal, with its 2.7 litre V6 engine they got all serious and asked me to open the boot (but they were only joking).

Went home and rang DVLA who confirmed that the car was registered to me and the ANPR equipment was always doing stuff like that, which I found reassuring (not).

Edited by carlt

I got pulled by the police, recently when an ANPR camera flagged my reg number up as non-existent.

I showed them my documents (the tax disc in the wallet amused them) and they said the computer had okayed the tax, insurance and mot but said the reg number was not recorded.

They said that the anomaly was usually associated with getaway vehicles and, when I remarked that the Rover was ideal, with its 2.7 litre V6 engine they got all serious and asked me to open the boot (but they were only joking).

Went home and rang DVLA who confirmed that the car was registered to me and the ANPR equipment was always doing stuff like that, which I found reassuring (not).

An off topic contribution to carlt's experience above ...........

Safe Clicky

Just clarify : on the Landy's reg, nothing comes back; On the OH's reg., it works.

Iain

Try this:

Clicky

edited to say: Beaten to it.

I wonder if there is any way of getting a current location for a car using that system?

It seems it is possible to do this with boats, using the "Canalworld Boat Search" system.

I'm not sure whether that is an entirely legal use of an internet forum

:lol:

Edited by magnetman

I showed them my documents (the tax disc in the wallet amused them)

Isn't that, in itself, an offence? The regulations clearly quote an offence of not displaying a road fund licence as well as a separate offence of not having one.

I wonder if there is any way of getting a current location for a car using that system?

It seems it is possible to do this with boats, using the "Canalworld Boat Search" system.

I'm not sure whether that is an entirely legal use of an internet forum

:lol:

You can't get a current location... but you can get hold of the current registered owners details if you download and complete a PDF form and send off a small fee. I think it is about a fiver. You have to provide a valid reason for wanting to contact the owner but there doesn't seem to be a list of valid reasons for you to crib off :lol:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/gr...t/dg_065303.pdf

Worth a try?