Flying the flag

Featured Posts

When we are out on the boat we always fly the Red Dragon, because we are both proud to be Welsh.

Wales seems to be one of the few parts of the UK where wearing the National Flag and emblem has no connurtations of anything other than pride.

I am of the same proud tradition. I always show the dragon from my (jack staff?) and my little Dai dragon from my side hatch.

Flag

Dai dragon

Dai.

Hmm, getting a bit long & drawn out . . .my wife's Welsh, so I do have a row of Welsh bunting along with a Welsh flag (also a row of English & Spanish flags too) - I'm putting them all out on Thursday as it's my Dad's 80th and we're partying on board - they all come down Friday as we cruise up the K&A.

I suppose it comes down to pride . . .a lot of the ex-servicemen . . . Dunkirk boats etc feel a sort of pride & attachment . . .originally, the monarch gave the military unit their colours and this went into battle and was literally fought over, so more at stake in those days . . . still, folk should be free to do what they want as long as it doesn't look unsightly or offend others . . .

Hmm, getting a bit long & drawn out . . .my wife's Welsh, so I do have a row of Welsh bunting along with a Welsh flag (also a row of English & Spanish flags too) - I'm putting them all out on Thursday as it's my Dad's 80th and we're partying on board - they all come down Friday as we cruise up the K&A.

I suppose it comes down to pride . . .a lot of the ex-servicemen . . . Dunkirk boats etc feel a sort of pride & attachment . . .originally, the monarch gave the military unit their colours and this went into battle and was literally fought over, so more at stake in those days . . . still, folk should be free to do what they want as long as it doesn't look unsightly or offend others . . .

Hi Profzarkof, the Dunkirk boats didn't "feel" a sort of pride or attachment, they were there in the blood and guts of that infamous fiasco. Showing your allegiance to a flag or banner does not make one less human. I agree that everyone should be free to express their nationality, but if it comes down to not showing their national flag because it "might" upset their neighbours, tough. Each one to their own.

That's more like it! Where can I get one of those?

I got mine at the Pembrokeshire County show a few years ago, but I am sure there are other sources ...

For some reason someone gave us a similar sized EU flag, but I don't fly that very often.

Should all boats not have anything other than name and licence number on them as anything else is akin to flying a flag.

I have been considering flying a Lincolnshire County flag as a small piece of pride in my part of the country which goes against political thinking where pride in our Identity is frowned on.

Should all boats not have anything other than name and licence number on them as anything else is akin to flying a flag.

I have been considering flying a Lincolnshire County flag as a small piece of pride in my part of the country which goes against political thinking where pride in our Identity is frowned on.

I lived in Heckington for 15 years but cannot recall the county flag, what is it like? Crossed banjos with rampant ploughshare? Would be nice to see a pic. (Off to Google it now)

Phil

Well I take after my dad,and if anyone tells me not to do something I'll do it twice as hard. So in a few weeks look out for me wearing my cowboy hat and Leo Sayer t shirt, my dog will be wearing the aforementioned t**t hat. We will have a line up of flags including the red ensign, the George cross, the confederate flag (my rockabilly link), having lived all my life until 3 months ago in Norfolk, the Norfolk flag (whatever that is) and there'll be Rosie and Jim dolls on the bow. (Oh and 300 multicoloured fairy lights all over) Please salute as you pass :)

Well I take after my dad,and if anyone tells me not to do something I'll do it twice as hard. So in a few weeks look out for me wearing my cowboy hat and Leo Sayer t shirt, my dog will be wearing the aforementioned t**t hat. We will have a line up of flags including the red ensign, the George cross, the confederate flag (my rockabilly link), having lived all my life until 3 months ago in Norfolk, the Norfolk flag (whatever that is) and there'll be Rosie and Jim dolls on the bow. (Oh and 300 multicoloured fairy lights all over) Please salute as you pass :)

How dissapointing - no skull and crossbones:-)

Howard

I lived in Heckington for 15 years but cannot recall the county flag, what is it like? Crossed banjos with rampant ploughshare? Would be nice to see a pic. (Off to Google it now)

Phil

I've bought several County flags from this site. Description of Norfolk's is as follows:

History
The flag of the County of Norfolk shows the Arms of the Duke of Norfolk. The arms were granted in 1904. The lower part of the shield has the arms attributed to Ranulf de Guader, first Earl of Norfolk (1071-1075). The chief has Royal charges and were added by express wish of King Edward VII at the time of the grant
Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I've bought several County flags from this site. Description of Norfolk's is as follows:

History

The flag of the County of Norfolk shows the Arms of the Duke of Norfolk. The arms were granted in 1904. The lower part of the shield has the arms attributed to Ranulf de Guader, first Earl of Norfolk (1071-1075). The chief has Royal charges and were added by express wish of King Edward VII at the time of the grant

Very nice but Heckington is in Lincolnshire

Phil

Very nice but Heckington is in Lincolnshire

Phil

Oops, I should read more carefully. The origin of the Lincolnshire is rather prosaic (surprising given eg the age of the cathedral):

History
The Lincolnshire flag was chosen in a popular vote organised by BBC Radio Lincolnshire along with Lincolnshire Life magazine. The winning entry, designed by Lincolnshire born Michelle Andrews was selected from a shortlist of six designs. The flag was launched on October 2005.

Purely a personal view this, but I think flags look out of place (and a bit pretentious) on narrowboats.

It always seems to be done by shiny boat owners who think their pride and joy is an ocean liner. It isn't, it's a bl--dy narrowboat, same as everyone else's, ok?

This is the boating equivalent of painting GT40-style 'go faster stripes' on a Ford Fiesta. You're only kidding yourself laugh.gif

Funny that - I still have the pot I won rallying a Fiesta 1300GT...

Edited to add: It's engraved "First class C"...

Edited by MyLady