Flying the flag

Featured Posts

So Basques on one side of the river, Irish republicans on the other and an answer to my original question only 5 posts above. Do you think I am on a safe mooring?!! :lol:

Never set foot in Ireland probably never will but if boating there I guess Id fly my skull and crossbones.As it happens I resent the fact that any EU member states populace should object to the national flag of another member state being flown.

When I was at my boat a few weeks back, a couple were handed over a hire boat. And what was the first thing that they did??

cable tie a Jolly Roger to the radio aerial on the cabin front roof....

What next? Pirate costumes..??

I think that some people are missing the distinction between inland pleasure boating (especially on the canals), and serious mixing it on the estuary and lumpy water.

If you are on the Lumpy water, flags are a serious, and regulated business. Indeed, they can be the difference between life and death. Flying the ensign is required, to show where your vessel is registered. Flying National Colours (especialy when abroad) is also regulated, and could get you into serious trouble if not adhered to (see Irish example above, and also French waters for example)

On the canal on the other hand, there are no regulations to worry about, and you can do whatever you like. if you fly a flag to show support for something, or where you are from, that is great, and entirely up to the individual. If you fly an ensign, you may be mistaken for a person who likes to pretend that he is a salty dog, who's narrow boat is usually found cutting through the spray of the Bay of Bisquay. Especially if you also sport a :lol:

Edited by luctor et emergo

When I was at my boat a few weeks back, a couple were handed over a hire boat. And what was the first thing that they did??

Why not, they are on holiday to enjoy themselves and will no doubt have paid through the nose for the priviledge.

Oh yes. It's a very popular style for hireboaters.

Richard

Plastic swords and parrots, eyepatches, seen them all, often

Thanks for that, just reminded me we need a new aerial before we go out at the weekend :lol:

We usually remember when we get to the boat, and there are no car spares places on the canal.

On the subject of pirates, I strongly suspect that if my son takes the boat out this summer, his pirate costume (red velvet coat, hat, baggy trousers and frilly shirt) will go with him, anyone know where he can get a pair of "pirate" boots, about size 8 :lol:

Sue

Not related to the subject, but do Mrs and Mr Tawny Owl share a computer, or are you on separate ones? And if the later, how do you resist the urge to communicate through the forum?

:lol:

During the day we have separate computers, but as she's sat just behind me I have no excuse not to talk to her.

In the evenings we fight over one computer. This is now worse as #2 son is back from Uni and hogs it much of the time

Richard

Not related to the subject, but do Mrs and Mr Tawny Owl share a computer, or are you on separate ones? And if the later, how do you resist the urge to communicate through the forum?

:lol:

Now I know we both work with computers BUT we are not complete geeks, I still prefer talking to a real person, even Richard, to typing a conversation. I can't type well enough anyway.

If the day ever come when I'd rather type a message to him, than speak to him then I think we have BIG problems :lol:

I do have a work colleague in a different site I talk to on Messenger, but as soon as I need more than a couple of sentences, I pick up the phone, much easier :lol:

Sue

If you choose to fly a flag then surely because that is because you want to make an impression, and to send out certain signals about yourself. The whole point of it is to deliberately give others something to judge you by.

So if you're an Aussie on a canal holiday you fly the Aussie flag so that your fellow expatriates can identify you and say g'day and you can get together for a barbie etc.

Not sure why anyone would want to fly the Red Ensign on a canal boat though - OP - just what sort of signal were you hoping to send out?

Now I know we both work with computers BUT we are not complete geeks, I still prefer talking to a real person, even Richard, to typing a conversation. I can't type well enough anyway.

If the day ever come when I'd rather type a message to him, than speak to him then I think we have BIG problems :lol:

I do have a work colleague in a different site I talk to on Messenger, but as soon as I need more than a couple of sentences, I pick up the phone, much easier :lol:

Sue

No wonder you talk to him rather than type, his grammar's awful. :lol:

During the day we have separate computers, but as she's sitting just behind me I have no excuse not to talk to her.

If you choose to fly a flag then surely because that is because you want to make an impression, and to send out certain signals about yourself. The whole point of it is to deliberately give others something to judge you by.

So if you're an Aussie on a canal holiday you fly the Aussie flag so that your fellow expatriates can identify you and say g'day and you can get together for a barbie etc.

Not sure why anyone would want to fly the Red Ensign on a canal boat though - OP - just what sort of signal were you hoping to send out?

Does the same thing go for all the cars etc flying the St Georges flag then..?

Oh yes. Definitely. Absolutely

Richard

I'm finding myself to be surprisingly judgemental!

Yes, those people are making a statement about what sort of people they are. Some who see it will approve and agree and seek out their company, others will disapprove and avoid them. It's a good primary filter for identifying potentially like-minded people. Nothing wrong with that on either side, it's very useful. But to say we shouldn't judge people for making statements like that is ridiculous, as that is the whole point of them doing it.

Obviously it's not foolproof, and signals can be misinterpreted, which is why they're a primary filter and not something to be wholly relied upon. You might read into my statement something entirely different from what I intended. Which is why I never wear a poppy, for example. But on the whole it works. We would never be able to manage socially if we never formed superficial judgements of people prior to getting to know them better.

Edited by Chertsey

Oh yes. It's a very popular style for hireboaters.

Richard

Plastic swords and parrots, eyepatches, seen them all, often

Not on any bloody boat I hire you won't,

ahem though of course the canine crew member does wear the De rigueur neck attire......

When we are out on the boat we always fly the Red Dragon, because we are both proud to be Welsh.

Wales seems to be one of the few parts of the UK where wearing the National Flag and emblem has no connurtations of anything other than pride.

When we are out on the boat we always fly the Red Dragon, because we are both proud to be Welsh.

Wales seems to be one of the few parts of the UK where wearing the National Flag and emblem has no connurtations of anything other than pride.

The same in Scotland, and Cornwall, but then the Dutch all fly their flag on their boats as do the Yanks, but only in England is it looked on as strange by some people.

Red ensign and a taff rail..!!!!

Picture153-1.jpg[/img]

You can just see those geese thinking, "He looks a right pillock flying that flag from the back of a narrowboat." :lol:

Anyway, with a name like Dalesman, it should be a five pointed white rose on a sky blue background. :lol:

Might well be a pillock but know the difference between a signet and goose..!!

Might well be a pillock but know the difference between a signet and goose..!!

But at least I can spell cygnet. :lol: I looked at that picture for ages trying to decide if they were cygnets or geese. I thought cygnets but as there were four of them, which is quiet alarge brood for swans, and no parents in sight I decided they must be geese.

But at least I can spell cygnet. :lol: I looked at that picture for ages trying to decide if they were cygnets or geese. I thought cygnets but as there were four of them, which is quiet alarge brood for swans, and no parents in sight I decided they must be geese.

Had you been on the drink?

Have never seen a goose looking like that :lol: