Rules For CCing When You Have A Mooring??

malcs

Featured Posts

I was concerned that 'should I desire' to bugger off on holiday somewhere else during that year for longer than 14 days I'd get into trouble and didn't know whether having a mooring somewhere would give me different rights to moor up on the towpath, I wasn't saying it should or it shouldn't, just asking if it would.

If you had a mooring, couldn't you leave the boat there rather than the towpath? :lol:

If you had a mooring, couldn't you leave the boat there rather than the towpath? :lol:

Not if it meant driving back over the area already covered that could take several days, if I nip off on holiday elsewhere I'd like to come back and just continue the journey where I left off.

I haven't read the entire thread. Although nobody has the right to overstay in any one spot, I can't help thinking that if you have a mooring then you have a bit more leeway when it comes to going back and forth in the same small stretch than if you are a CCer. After all BW can't really tell you to get back to your mooring can they!

For example, I am moored at Brentford. Immediatly South is the tidal Thames so not BW waters, and 2 locks North is a nice towpath mooring with a pub called the Fox. Beyond that is the Hanwell flight and then some pretty grim stretches through Southall and Hayes until you get to Cowley Lock.

I sometimes take the boat up to the Fox for the weekend, but technically perhaps I'm in breach of the T&Cs if altogether I stay for longer than the 14 days in any one calendar year? :lol:

How many people with home moorings have had action taken against them for staying somewhere more than 14 days?

And what would that action be?

I had a mooring at cropredy and moved up to Appletree, to get away from the crowds, at Fairport time.

I decided to hang about up there until the end of summer, freeing up a mooring in a prime spot and enjoying being amongst other wooden boats.

The patrol officer turned up, one day and asked me to move back to my mooring (two locks down) despite seeing that no harm was being done and freeing up a village mooring was actually beneficial but "rules is rules".

Rather than returning to the mooring I cashed in my disc and went boating (on a genuine progressive journey around the system).

I sometimes take the boat up to the Fox for the weekend, but technically perhaps I'm in breach of the T&Cs if altogether I stay for longer than the 14 days in any one calendar year? :lol:

Yes, I said the same thing earlier. BW told someone I know that there is nothing stopping someone with a mooring staying on visitor mooring until the limit, going back to their mooring, then back to visitor mooring again and staying until limit and so on..

I haven't read the entire thread. Although nobody has the right to overstay in any one spot, I can't help thinking that if you have a mooring then you have a bit more leeway when it comes to going back and forth in the same small stretch than if you are a CCer. After all BW can't really tell you to get back to your mooring can they!

For example, I am moored at Brentford. Immediatly South is the tidal Thames so not BW waters, and 2 locks North is a nice towpath mooring with a pub called the Fox. Beyond that is the Hanwell flight and then some pretty grim stretches through Southall and Hayes until you get to Cowley Lock.

Nope.

No such rule.

Hi All

Done lots of research on this forum and its been useful but I don't seem to get on so well with the search option.

Anyhow, I was wondering, if you did have a mooring somewhere but went for a big continuous cruise and barely clapped eyes on it, are the rules the same for you as they would be a CCer with no mooring (ie: still only get 14 days on the towpath) and is there any stipulation that your boat has to be at its mooring for a set period or set amount of time?

Cheers

Malc

Get a valid council tax certificate, that proves you "belong" somewhere - all Licence agencies should insist on this re CC,

Nope.

No such rule.

Generically maybe not, but local signage exists in some places that says boaters may not use moorings there for more than 14 days in a calender year.

Given your previous stance, Dave, I assume you believe those signs are reasonable and enforceable ?

(I'm not suggesting any exist where Mike is talking about, BTW - I don't know those moorings).

Generically maybe not, but local signage exists in some places that says boaters may not use moorings there for more than 14 days in a calender year.

Given your previous stance, Dave, I assume you believe those signs are reasonable and enforceable ?

Indeed I do.

However, whilst I believe rules should be obeyed, I don't believe in the invention of new rules by rumour!!

Get a valid council tax certificate, that proves you "belong" somewhere - all Licence agencies should insist on this re CC,

I do not belong anywhere, my boat is my home and all that I own is on board.

So please explain how I would qualify for and get a Council Tax Certificate.

Edit: by the way I am a CCer in the true sense of the guidelines/rules

Edited by bottle

Despite Carl's example, the 14 day rule does not appear to be strictly enforced by BW. I know of several example where boats have been left in the same spot for for months - a few of them have occupied the same spot for more than a year. On the other hand, I do not know the particular circumstances of each case - for example, we have occasionally overstayed on a mooring - usually (but not always) with permission from the navigation authority, due to special or unusual circumstances that made moving the boat impracticable.

Despite Carl's example, the 14 day rule does not appear to be strictly enforced by BW. I know of several example where boats have been left in the same spot for for months - a few of them have occupied the same spot for more than a year. On the other hand, I do not know the particular circumstances of each case - for example, we have occasionally overstayed on a mooring - usually (but not always) with permission from the navigation authority, due to special or unusual circumstances that made moving the boat impracticable.

Overstaying without due reason on congested visitor moorings is to be avoided. Elsewhere I cannot see that it is too harmful but still attempt to avoid. Sometimes when you are weekending the boat about one's choices are restricted and occasionally one can be prevented from getting back and moving on in time. I do not see it as a major crime. It is made more difficult to comply when the 14 days becomes 7 days, as it has in many places, and now, 7 days is also being diminished.

I am grateful for the true CCers existing and not having been eradicated in terms of their licence costs including a mooring cost as it is at least one pressure the right way in terms of boating costs instead of the spiral upwards that has be experienced. Much of the CCer bad press seems to be envy in that respect. Hope that makes sense without explaiming further?