Rules For CCing When You Have A Mooring??

malcs

Featured Posts

Hi All

Done lots of research on this forum and its been useful but I don't seem to get on so well with the search option.

Anyhow, I was wondering, if you did have a mooring somewhere but went for a big continuous cruise and barely clapped eyes on it, are the rules the same for you as they would be a CCer with no mooring (ie: still only get 14 days on the towpath) and is there any stipulation that your boat has to be at its mooring for a set period or set amount of time?

Cheers

Malc

Hi All

Done lots of research on this forum and its been useful but I don't seem to get on so well with the search option.

Anyhow, I was wondering, if you did have a mooring somewhere but went for a big continuous cruise and barely clapped eyes on it, are the rules the same for you as they would be a CCer with no mooring (ie: still only get 14 days on the towpath) and is there any stipulation that your boat has to be at its mooring for a set period or set amount of time?

Cheers

Malc

There is no stipulation that your boat has to be on its mooring ever (but it must actually exist!)

Quite apart from the 14 days laid down for CCers in s17 BW Act 1995, BW makes rules under s43 Transport Act 1962 that limit all boaters to 14 days.

Hi All

Cheers

Malc

My (limited) understanding is 14 days is 14 days. It makes not a jot if you have some mooring somewhere to the maximum amount of time you are allowed to stay at/on other parts of the system.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-...ing-information

However if you want to start a discussion that will last way longer than the period anybody is allowed to moor anywhere just ensure the words 'mooring', 'continuous', and 'cruising' are contained in your question.....

Edited by MJG

However if you want to start a discussion that will last way longer than the period anybody is allowed to moor anywhere just ensure the words 'mooring', 'continuous', and 'cruising' are contained in your question.....

I was just thinking that there seem to be an infinite number of ways of re-igniting this debate, although I think this particular question was asked quite recently.

Thanks, that answered all I wanted to know so it doesn't have to go on forever, was just curious to know if the rules were the same or whether having a mooring somewhere entitled you to something more than a CCer.

Cheers

Malc

No worries, but be aware you have now lit the blue touch paper.....

I was just thinking that there seem to be an infinite number of ways of re-igniting this debate, although I think this particular question was asked quite recently.

Did you mean quite 'innocently' - if so I agree,

(I also agree it was asked quite recently....ie a few minutes ago.... :lol: )

No no please don't let anything ignite, it was just a query and nothing more, I'm planning to go on a continuous cruise and well within the BW requirements but wondered what would happen if I wanted to shoot off on holiday (from my cruising holiday) for more than 2 weeks, but I'm sure I'll have a list of friends that will be glad of a free boating holiday!

Cheers

Malc

No no please don't let anything ignite, it was just a query and nothing more, I'm planning to go on a continuous cruise and well within the BW requirements but wondered what would happen if I wanted to shoot off on holiday (from my cruising holiday) for more than 2 weeks, but I'm sure I'll have a list of friends that will be glad of a free boating holiday!

Cheers

Malc

Just leave your boat somewhere between New Mills and Whaley Bridge. :lol:

I have no clue where those places are but I'm guessing there are lots of bridge hoppers around there and so folk are beginning to assume that's what I plan to be, fair enough! I'll be somewhere between Bristol, Reading and Oxford generally!

There is no stipulation that your boat has to be on its mooring ever (but it must actually exist!)

Quite apart from the 14 days laid down for CCers in s17 BW Act 1995, BW makes rules under s43 Transport Act 1962 that limit all boaters to 14 days.

I don't see how the 1962 act can supersede the 1995 act although BW would like it to.

Sue

The rules may be slightly different when you have a mooring.

For instance you can moor somewhere for 14 days then go back to your mooring, which could be just up the canal. Then go back to the same place where you moored for 14 days and stay another 14 days and so on. This is also true, or so I was told by a BW chap, that on visitor moorings you can stay for the limit, go back to home mooring. Return next day if you wanted to visitor mooring, stay for the limit again and so on. There is no rule stating how long you need to travel before you can visit the same mooring if you have a home mooring.

the rules applied change with the weather is all that is needed is some half bred F.wit in an office to change the rules to suit their own opinions

take Simon Ainley (resident D. Head at Braunston) a few years ago who made all the visitor moorings from Wolvercote to Oxford 4 Days so that weekenders like me couldn't moor there from Sunday night to Friday morning with getting a snotty note left by his arselicking disciples!

and when you apply for your renewal they say you don't have a permanent mooring but you aren't continuously cruising despite spending no more 10 days anywhere on the system.

I have no clue where those places are but I'm guessing there are lots of bridge hoppers around there and so folk are beginning to assume that's what I plan to be, fair enough! I'll be somewhere between Bristol, Reading and Oxford generally!

I'll wave as you go by, or stop off for a cuppa if you have time :lol:

Nick

I don't see how the 1962 act can supersede the 1995 act although BW would like it to.

Sue

It doesn't.

The two Acts overlap.

BW have chosen to make the time limit that they apply under the 1962 Act the same as the time limit under the 1995 Act for CCers.

Let us Hypothesise that they changed the limit under the 1962 Act to 15 days. Casual towpath moorings would not be usable for 15 days at a time, other than by CCers who would have a tighter limit of 14 days.

Does that show why the two acts are not incompatible.

the rules applied change with the weather is all that is needed is some half bred F.wit in an office to change the rules to suit their own opinions

take Simon Ainley (resident D. Head at Braunston) a few years ago who made all the visitor moorings from Wolvercote to Oxford 4 Days so that weekenders like me couldn't moor there from Sunday night to Friday morning with getting a snotty note left by his arselicking disciples!

At the risk of throwing more fuel on the fire, I'll just point out that the reason for the visitor moorings being changed to four days MAY - just may have been because the BW office were getting loads of stick from weekday/holiday/ccers who were unable to get a mooring for a day or two in a popular spot because so many boats were being abandoned there unused and uninhabited between weekends. We had most of the visitor moorings on the top end of the Lancaster changed from 14 days to 7 days for exactly that reason - to try and keep the majority of boaters happy. It doesn't necessarily make the bloke who made the decision a "half bred F.wit", unless that applies to everyone who makes a decision that's not entirely to your liking!

As for "arselicking disciples" - I guess you'd think better of those guys if they refused to do anything they didn't agree with at work - or perhaps more importantly - anything YOU didn't agree with? I guess they couldn't possibly just have been doing their jobs could they? I wonder how long I'd last at work if I refused to do anything I didn't particularly fancy.......

Two sides to every argument mate - even if it's BW we're talking about. I know they don't get everything right by a long chalk - but that doesn't make them wrong by default.

Andy

At the risk of throwing more fuel on the fire, I'll just point out that the reason for the visitor moorings being changed to four days MAY - just may have been because the BW office were getting loads of stick from weekday/holiday/ccers who were unable to get a mooring for a day or two in a popular spot because so many boats were being abandoned there unused and uninhabited between weekends. We had most of the visitor moorings on the top end of the Lancaster changed from 14 days to 7 days for exactly that reason - to try and keep the majority of boaters happy. It doesn't necessarily make the bloke who made the decision a "half bred F.wit", unless that applies to everyone who makes a decision that's not entirely to your liking!

As for "arselicking disciples" - I guess you'd think better of those guys if they refused to do anything they didn't agree with at work - or perhaps more importantly - anything YOU didn't agree with? I guess they couldn't possibly just have been doing their jobs could they? I wonder how long I'd last at work if I refused to do anything I didn't particularly fancy.......

Two sides to every argument mate - even if it's BW we're talking about. I know they don't get everything right by a long chalk - but that doesn't make them wrong by default.

Andy

Do not confuse the issue with the presentation. It is unfair to reduce 7 day moorings to 4 to stop weekend CCers surely. The 7 days at least has the opportunity to both does it not? Where nearly any space where one can moor has especially near transport, road or rail, has a mooring limitation it is vexatious to prevent mooring use by a legitimate faction of canal users!

Do not confuse the issue with the presentation. It is unfair to reduce 7 day moorings to 4 to stop weekend CCers surely. The 7 days at least has the opportunity to both does it not? Where nearly any space where one can moor has especially near transport, road or rail, has a mooring limitation it is vexatious to prevent mooring use by a legitimate faction of canal users!

Well I guess it depends which side of the fence you're looking at it from! If you were a holidaymaker or a hirer or even a genuine cc'er, then you may get a bit upset that you couldn't moor anywhere popular because of moored up boats with the owners sitting at home miles away. It strikes me that it may be a bit more thoughtful to leave your boat just off the visitor moorings if you're going to be away from it for a while, rather than slap bang in the middle of what you know to be a popular spot.We had a number of issues here last year with a number of cruisers mooring outside the local pub and being left there for weeks - even though they had berths in the marina directly opposite! I would suggests that if you're going to be away from the boat for a week or two, then you don't really need to be moored alongside the facilities that many visitor moorings offer to boaters.

The tone of your post suggests it's BW imposing rules to stop something happening - but if you looked at the other side of the argument you could say they were imposing rules to allow something else - ie use by visiting boaters. The boats that are passing through are just as legitimate a faction as those who just want to leave the boat moored up for a week or two, and I'm sure they spend just as much time complaining to BW that "something should be done". BW as is so often the case, are in the position of being damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

Andy

". BW as is so often the case, are in the position of being damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

Andy

Well, maybe.

But the problem, as is so often the case, is that BW want to micro manage the use of the canal and like trying to sit on a balloon they will never please everyone.

It is legitimate, even if undesirable for someone to leave their boat on a visitor mooring for 7 or even 14 days.

It may be unwise on many points to leave £70,000 worth of kit lying around on the towpath, it might even be undesirable to other visiting boats but it is within the rules and, more importantly, within the law.

The only answer is to have 24 or 48 hour visitor moorings at very localised spots (ie visits to local tourist attractions) as the norm with 14 day everywhere else, after all 14 days is the default time allowed for visitor mooring.

This kind of micro - management is time and time again shown to be the least efficient way of management.

The propensity of BW to set up so many different kinds of visitor mooring, as well as being unlawful, is doomed to failure, not least through the complicated enforcement it demands and will lead to the kind of resentment we see expressed vehemently on this forum.

Edited by Chris Pink

The issue is that if you don't apply the restrictions, other users don't have the opportunity to moor.

Those who weekend their boat around visitor moorings are in a minority, but in certain hotspots, they are utilising a majority of the available mooring space, such that those who use their boat at the weekend have no opportunity to moor.