Rules For CCing When You Have A Mooring??

malcs

Featured Posts

whilst i agree with the restriction at popular visitor moorings this carries no weight on restricting the entire length from Oxford to beyond Kidlington !! the mooring i would use was at the junction of the canal with the dukes cut hardly a hotspot for visitors! i could moor at Little Venice in London for 5 days without a problem so why did they feel the need to be so pedantic on a section such as the Oxford canal 4 miles from the city

so i stand by my comment about this idiot.

That's not been the case for the last couple of years at least. Between Oxford and Wolvercote it's all 1 and 2 day moorings, with one 7 day spot. Then it's all normal 14 day towpath moorings between Duke's Lock through Kidlington to Thrupp. There's some 2 day restrictions outside the Jolly Boatman and the houses in Thrupp, but otherwise it's all 14 days.

Yes, I said the same thing earlier. BW told someone I know that there is nothing stopping someone with a mooring staying on visitor mooring until the limit, going back to their mooring, then back to visitor mooring again and staying until limit and so on..

The limit being 14 days per calendar year, or the limit being 14 days as often as they wish?

Nope.

No such rule.

So the 14 days / calendar year only applies to CCers?

Despite Carl's example, the 14 day rule does not appear to be strictly enforced by BW. I know of several example where boats have been left in the same spot for for months - a few of them have occupied the same spot for more than a year. On the other hand, I do not know the particular circumstances of each case - for example, we have occasionally overstayed on a mooring - usually (but not always) with permission from the navigation authority, due to special or unusual circumstances that made moving the boat impracticable.

I guess this thread (or at least some of it), is more of a discussion on the technicalities of the rules. We all know that people get away with things and rules aren't always strictly enforced, but that's a different issue really.

If there was a "no mooring today" applied say every 14 days, or on specific days of the month at various mooring points, it would be easy to see who was not moving or shouldn't be mooring there - obviously these would need to be staggered / worked out in relation to adjoining mooring points, but it would compel a boat to move at least once every 14 days, or at least it would be obvious if they didn't.

I think on the continent, parking was arranged like this in some towns - odd and even day parking was allowed / banned - abandoned cars were obvious...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I think on the continent, parking was arranged like this in some towns - odd and even day parking was allowed / banned - abandoned cars were obvious...

They tried this in Paris, when I was living there.

Didn't last long when the predicted chaos ensued

The limit being 14 days per calendar year, or the limit being 14 days as often as they wish?

I guess you don't mean per year. We were told that 14 days did apply even if you had a mooring but that you could return to the same place almost immediately . This is clearly because some boats are only used at weekends, if they couldn't go to the same area to moor because they moored there the weekend before they would have nowhere to go. It probably means a boater with a mooring near,( say Oxford, as everyone seems to use that as an example) could moor on the visitor moorings in Oxford every weekend if they wanted, or even every other day.

So the 14 days / calendar year only applies to CCers?

I guess this thread (or at least some of it), is more of a discussion on the technicalities of the rules. We all know that people get away with things and rules aren't always strictly enforced, but that's a different issue really.

Whilst there may be moorings that have a 14 days per calendar year limit, that is NOT the general rule.

To use Oxford again, some of the restrictions also state 'No return within 28 days' similar in Banbury.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a leftover from the old rule of not returning to the same place within 1 month, scrapped 2 or 3 years ago after a year or two of being introduced as it was unworkable?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a leftover from the old rule of not returning to the same place within 1 month, scrapped 2 or 3 years ago after a year or two of being introduced as it was unworkable?

No, it is just the mooring limit that BW have set at this location.