Hand held GPS machines (not in -car Sat nav...)

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am interested in getting a gps machine, but i'm rather confused re the screen display. As far as i can tell, most of them don't provide a real time map of where you are travelling? I was looking at the Garmin products, but i was in the B'ham Bullring, so the bloke in the shop couldn't demonstrate it as the shop was "indoors" (?!) Has anyone got any recommendations as to any goood machines? Price up to @ £200 . Many thanks for any replies received.

ps... do you have to buy say, a "base map" of England as an extra for example?

Chek out the Satmap www.satmap.com

1:25K & 1:50K os maps with your position marked exactly, plus lots of other functions including POIs which I think people use for geocaching.

I've got southern GB (more or less bootle south) plus a custom 1:25K covering most of Cheshier, N Staffs, N Shrop & most of Derbyshire which pretty well covers most of my walking areas.

Most reviews rate it well above the Garmin. It canm get a bit pricy for the maps, but they quite often have offers. First class service as well from a small UK company.

I have the small Garmin Geko 101. It was bought for me by my kids for use when marshalling car rallies so that i can plot where I am on a map, as i am still a great believer in those nice big pieces of paper. Various screens, but the one I use most gives me a 10 figure map reference, which can quickly plot.

Battery life seems fairly good on rechargeable batteries, especially in "save" mode.

I have also used it on the dash of the car to check sppeds, and on the boat.

I think that most units fall in to one of two categories. The first is a simple unit which will tell you where you are and have basic plotting and nav functions.

The second holds as base map of the area such as the satmap version. My father has one and is very pleased with it. I would be a bit worried about taking it without a paper backup. I agree that the customer service was very good.

Personally I think that a papermap and compass is all you need. I have done several long distance walks (the coast to coast) solo. I carried a basic GPS just in case but did not use it. I you can borrow one from someone before investing.

I use an application on my windows mobile phone for geocashing called GCZii. Although clunky at first it is actually very good and links through to googlemaps. clicky

Most GPS have a demo mode for shops that are indoors

Edited by Tim Doran

Hi all,

I am interested in getting a gps machine, but i'm rather confused re the screen display. As far as i can tell, most of them don't provide a real time map of where you are travelling? I was looking at the Garmin products, but i was in the B'ham Bullring, so the bloke in the shop couldn't demonstrate it as the shop was "indoors" (?!) Has anyone got any recommendations as to any goood machines? Price up to @ £200 . Many thanks for any replies received.

ps... do you have to buy say, a "base map" of England as an extra for example?

I've got a Garmin E-trex which I got 1/2 price at £60 about 5 years ago.

It doesn't have inbuilt maps. I still use map and compass which doesn't rely on batteries etc.

I use it in the mode which shows OS grid reference which allows me to confirm my position.

This is a usefull when in cloud on a largely featureless landscape eg some Lakeland fells.

I don't use it for anything except fell running but it's a good bit of kit.

I would never go out without a map though.

I use a Garmin nuvi 200w , for my road/in car work and for accurately positioning myself when fishing, its a couple of years old but I do believe that they are still available.

£72.04 +£3.95 p+p found on Amazon / Total Discount stores.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/car-tech/rev...200W-Sat-Nav/p1

Edited by tinca steve

Garmin (Etrex) Vista HCx - has an included base map that can be changed as required. Some maps can be found for free otherwise garmin regional and country maps are available to purchase on micro SD cards or on CD/DVD .

Various functions built in include compass, altimeter and geocaching. Mine is primarily used to measure distances, speed and times stationary and moving whilst on the long(ish) distance walks & cycle trips. For a bit of light relief we take 'fido' out geocaching. A great little machine but for serious navigation a map & compass remain indispensable back-ups .

Got mine from Handtec: http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2668 for considerably more than the current price of £146.xx. Probably due to be 'retired'......................... Leather case also from Handtec I think and handlebar mount was from Maplin.

HN

I got a Memory Map Adventurer 2800 for Christamas as I already had the memory map software on my PC. You can do 3D stuff on the PC. The GPS stores A GB wide road map and OS 1:50,000 1:25000. Am pleased with it for walking although I try and stick to compass and map. You can create routes on the GPS or download ones you've created on the PC

more info at:

http://www.lovingoutdoors.co.uk/walking-3/...00-gps-634.html

Mick

I use a Navman pin 570 with Memorymap software and OS Explorer and landranger maps loaded.

The 570 is obsolete so dirt cheap (I got mine sealed in the box for £35) but it works perfectly well and the Memorymap/OS software is superb (though not so cheap).

Edited by carlt

Many thanks for the replies all, you've given me plenty of food for thought !

Do any of these give good speed resolution ( 0.1 mph or better ?) and/or fast speed updates ( better than once per second) at (canal boat) speeds of under

say 10 mph ? ( well under !! )

Thanks,

Nick

Do any of these give good speed resolution ( 0.1 mph or better ?) and/or fast speed updates ( better than once per second) at (canal boat) speeds of under

say 10 mph ? ( well under !! )

My Stamap is not that great at accurate speed readings to fractions of 1mph. My Garmin eMap though is absolutely spot on from less than one mile an hour upwards with 0.1 resolution. So I DO know when I am doing 2 mph!

I've got a fairly old Dell Axim pocket PC, which I used in the car with a gps 'mouse' for several years with TomTom. Had problems with the tomtom recently & bought a little self-contained Garmin nuvi 1300.

Is there some good software that would run on the Dell - it uses some version of cut-down Windoze - to show OS or similar maps for use on the boat, alternatively is there any way to put them on the garmin?

Tim

I've got a fairly old Dell Axim pocket PC, which I used in the car with a gps 'mouse' for several years with TomTom. Had problems with the tomtom recently & bought a little self-contained Garmin nuvi 1300.

Is there some good software that would run on the Dell - it uses some version of cut-down Windoze - to show OS or similar maps for use on the boat, alternatively is there any way to put them on the garmin?

Tim

I use Memorymap but I have, in the past, had Fugawi.

Both work fine though I prefer MM.

I have a Garmin etrex legend HCx which I use on a handlebar mount for mountainbiking, and keep in my rucksack for emergencies (ie getting really lost when the fog comes on the Glyders, the only time I've actually needed it) when climbing or walking, it's perfect for me. I changed my mapping software from memorymap last year to use: http://www.mapyx.com/ which is excellent in my opinion especially if you are just starting out as you can cheaply build up your digital maps by buying tiles (essentially 1:50000 or 1:25000 OS maps) one at a time or buy the lot on one of their special offers. It's great for planning rides/ walks and climbs as it has more functionality than memorymap but on the ground there is no real difference.

As an experienced walker (summer ML holder) the end effect of any map virtual/digital/actual is that you need to read it correctly.

If your just after establishing your position on a lateral line (road/path) then a system is fine,

If they give a gred ref nbr (ideally 8 figure- gets you to around 10 metres / 33 ft) then you know more accurately where you, assuming you can read a map to identify the GR and what that actually means, IE avoiding hazard's, finding the best direction to your destination etc,

We have found several times people using sat navs (hand helds) but not fully aware that although they give an accurate fix, they dont assist in planning a good/safe journey and have helpes them to a better path to safety avoiding marshy wet ground and on another occasion very steep ground in the glyders...

Likewise in a car the blue lines are not always motorways,,,, but can be canals :lol:

I'm a long standing geocacher, and my main GPSr is a Garmin eTrex, the yellow one. I use it in conjunction with an OS map. I also sometimes use a Garmin GPSMap, which has map functions.

Both are exemplary

I have been using a Garmin etrex for the last six years - a very useful tool and not expensive.

I have used it successfully for measuring the speed and distance covered of everything from country walks to high speed trains . . .

I've had a Garmin eTrex legend for years and have long given up how to work the bloody thing.

It is the most non-intuitive gadget I've ever had with the hardest to read screen possible.

One to avoid IMHO.

I have been using a Garmin etrex for the last six years - a very useful tool and not expensive.

I have used it successfully for measuring the speed and distance covered of everything from country walks to high speed trains . . .

I'm so pleased I'm not the only one that takes the GPS on train journeys just to see how fast its going. :lol:

Have you noticed Virgin Trains have something in the window glass that stops the GPS seeing the satellites? B*****ds!

Edited by barge sara

I'm so pleased I'm not the only one that takes the GPS on train journeys just to see how fast its going. :lol:

Have you noticed Virgin Trains have something in the window glass that stops the GPS seeing the satellites? B*****ds!

Is that not the 'quiet coach' with the suppression to reduce mobile phone usage>> :lol:

Guess the effect is the same....

Edited by MJG

• 6 months later...

I use a Garmin 60CSx Garmin 60CSx for walking cycling (with handlebar mount) and geoching, It's got lots of features, probably some I don't even use properly and is allegedly waterproof.

Kev