So how long did it take you..................

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

to build up trust in your boat?

We where discussing this last night and we both came to the conclusion that we have now taken up enough trust in Cal and all of her mechanical and electircal systems to take on some more serious waters this year. It has taken us over 12 months to get used to all of her little quirks and follies and to know when there is something, however minor amiss.

So the question is just how long did it take you to get to know the workings of your own boats to the point of trusting them to get you to your destination and back in one piece and safely?

We where discussing this last night and we both came to the conclusion that we have now taken up enough trust in Cal and all of her mechanical and electircal systems to take on some more serious waters this year. It has taken us over 12 months to get used to all of her little quirks and follies and to know when there is something, however minor amiss.

So the question is just how long did it take you to get to know the workings of your own boats to the point of trusting them to get you to your destination and back in one piece and safely?

Is this confidence in the boat, confidence in yourself, or a bit of both?

Is this confidence in the boat, confidence in yourself, or a bit of both?

However you want to answer. :lol:

But as we discussed it, it was confidence in the boat.

When you build it and do all the fitting out yourself it gives you confidence in it. :lol:

Either that or it gives you no confidence in it what so ever :lol:

I took about ten years fitting out Owl so over that time I got to know all its foibles pretty well. However, I think it's more a question of how long does it take for you to feel confident in dealing with all the unforeseen problems that inevitably arise?

My advice is to take as many spares with you as you can and have a full workshop of tools. I know that's not possible on many boats and I suppose I'm fortunate in having room for this. It also helps to know how to contact people who can offer advice. Again the Kelvin fraternity is very good for this.

I don't think I've ever been on an extended cruise without having to deal with some mechanical, electrical or plumbing problem. I'm not sure I'd like to have deal with some of these problems on the high seas, or wherever you're thinking of taking your boat. The hariest moment for me was losing power as I was bombing along the Severn – but's that's another story.

I took about ten years fitting out Owl so over that time I got to know all its foibles pretty well. However, I think it's more a question of how long does it take for you to feel confident in dealing with all the unforeseen problems that inevitably arise?

My advice is to take as many spares with you as you can and have a full workshop of tools. I know that's not possible on many boats and I suppose I'm fortunate in having room for this. It also helps to know how to contact people who can offer advice. Again the Kelvin fraternity is very good for this.

I don't think I've ever been on an extended cruise without having to deal with some mechanical, electrical or plumbing problem. I'm not sure I'd like to have deal with some of these problems on the high seas, or wherever you're thinking of taking your boat. The hariest moment for me was losing power as I was bombing along the Severn – but's that's another story.

That was one of the topics of conversation. We know the engine is in fine fettle and the outdrive will be freshly serviced. We are confident in our ability to deal with breakdowns/failures of the coolant systems and have concluded that the engine would continue to run with either or all of the alternator, supercharger or power steering belts failed. The only belt that would require attention at sea would be the water pump belt which is easily reached. We always carry a full set of spare parts including filters and all of the necessary tools to fit/fix these items.

The main crux of the conversation revolved around our friend who after three months of owning his boat decided he would take a trip to Bridlington. After three months we where confident enough in the boat to venture to Trent Falls but certainly didnt have the confidence/trust in the boat to venture much further afield. This year that will change as we have built up trust, confidence and the knowledge of our boat.

However you want to answer. :lol:

But as we discussed it, it was confidence in the boat.

Either that or it gives you no confidence in it what so ever :lol:

I am pleased you said "boat". If you have the engine I suspect you have it would take me a whole lifetime before I trusted it anywhere but within swimming distance of land :lol:

Lectronics & saltwater do not mix in my view.

I am pleased you said "boat". If you have the engine I suspect you have it would take me a whole lifetime before I trusted it anywhere but within swimming distance of land :lol:

Lectronics & saltwater do not mix in my view.

The engine is part of the boat :lol:

As somebody who's done the vast majority of their boating on hire boats, I've never had the luxury of being able to take weeks or months gaining confidence in a boat, or learning it's intricacies. If I want to get the most out of my holiday, then realistically if I pick the boat up on a Saturday afternoon for a week's boating, I need to know how it handles and where all the important bits are by the time I moor up on Sunday evening, maybe earlier.

Having said that, most of the boats I've hired over the years have worked exactly as they are supposed to and provided no major panics (I can recall one narrowboat that dumped it's coolant all over the bilges and left us drifting in mid canal, and a Yare & Bure One Design with rigging issues and no mudweight or quant. I was very glad that a friendly yacht appeared to tow us back into the channel after she refused to tack, as I was just about to strip down to my skivvies and go wading in Heigham Sound so I could push us off.)

I will admit that it's a lot easier to have confidence in a sailing boat, as with most of them you've got an engine to get you out of trouble if the rig fails, and any competent sailor should have no trouble handling the boat under sail if the engine fails.

By more serious water, presumably you are talking about a trip offshore. If that is the case, then the question becomes as much about your own readiness as the boat's. Once offshore, you will be very much on your own, with no question of drifting to the bank if things go wrong. Other comparatively basic things like knowing what electrical connections to check, hoses, water pumps etc, can be extremely difficult when the boat is dead in the water and wallowing about in even a small swell.

If you feel confident in the boat and it's systems, make sure you have all the neccessary safety equipment, radio licence and set, and the ability to use charts and take bearings, rather than just relying on GPS. Take some short trips out into the Wash, perhaps across to Kings Lynn, to get used to the feel of being offshore and to practice you navigation skills. Getting the tides right and using radio procedures together with navigating to the right bouys and nav points is great for building your own confidence. Taking a RYA Day skipper course is ideal for gaining the basic knowledge and reducing your insurance costs :lol:

If you are intending to start by going much futher afield, perhaps up to the Humber estuary, then it could be a good idea to have someone accompanying you who is already experienced at sea. The East coast can be one of the most unpredictable areas around the UK, with very fast changes in conditions.

Once you start getting confident and competent, the world is your oyster with the speed that you boat has. Given good conditions, serious coastal hopping and even cross channel trips should be attainanable.

It sound like it's time to leave the back yard!

Roger

By more serious water, presumably you are talking about a trip offshore. If that is the case, then the question becomes as much about your own readiness as the boat's. Once offshore, you will be very much on your own, with no question of drifting to the bank if things go wrong. Other comparatively basic things like knowing what electrical connections to check, hoses, water pumps etc, can be extremely difficult when the boat is dead in the water and wallowing about in even a small swell.

If you feel confident in the boat and it's systems, make sure you have all the neccessary safety equipment, radio licence and set, and the ability to use charts and take bearings, rather than just relying on GPS. Take some short trips out into the Wash, perhaps across to Kings Lynn, to get used to the feel of being offshore and to practice you navigation skills. Getting the tides right and using radio procedures together with navigating to the right bouys and nav points is great for building your own confidence. Taking a RYA Day skipper course is ideal for gaining the basic knowledge and reducing your insurance costs :lol:

If you are intending to start by going much futher afield, perhaps up to the Humber estuary, then it could be a good idea to have someone accompanying you who is already experienced at sea. The East coast can be one of the most unpredictable areas around the UK, with very fast changes in conditions.

Once you start getting confident and competent, the world is your oyster with the speed that you boat has. Given good conditions, serious coastal hopping and even cross channel trips should be attainanable.

It sound like it's time to leave the back yard!

Roger

All of what you have said is sound advice, we have both taken the RYA Day skipper course as we thought it essential that we could both navigate the boat safely. The VHF course was undertaken as one of the first courses we took when we bought the boat.

One of the first outings we intend is to Hull either late March/early April depending on when the boat is back in the water with a few days spent down the humber in the company of experienced friends. The first proper sea trip we have planned is across the wash to Wells. Again a trip taken with a few boats all of which have some real sea experience. Its going to be nice to get the boat into some serious water which she is designed for.

I gave my hull a complete top to bottom examination then got a surveyor to confirm my findings.

I then gave my engines a complete service, changing all consumable items, whether they looked like they needed it or not then asked the boatyard engineer to have a look and tell me if I'd missed anything (the pushrod thingy that moved the steering quadrant was dangerously corroded, which I missed).

Took it for a few spins up and down the river, to make sure I was confident in handling her then set off out to sea.

From buying her to getting out of sight of land, about 3 weeks.

I gave my hull a complete top to bottom examination then got a surveyor to confirm my findings.

I then gave my engines a complete service, changing all consumable items, whether they looked like they needed it or not then asked the boatyard engineer to have a look and tell me if I'd missed anything (the pushrod thingy that moved the steering quadrant was dangerously corroded, which I missed).

Took it for a few spins up and down the river, to make sure I was confident in handling her then set off out to sea.

From buying her to getting out of sight of land, about 3 weeks.

Ahh, but how long to get back into sight of said land, and did the locals speak English?

Taxi....

:lol:

I think that if you are looking for complete confidence in the boat thats admirable but in reality the stress and demands put on it at sea increase the risk of failure many times thats the reality. You have done the most inportant thing by doing Day Skippers tickets, thats what will save your skins in the event of a mishap, along with team work and a resistance to having a few which is the golden rule. Good kuck... :lol:

Ahh, but how long to get back into sight of said land, and did the locals speak English?

Taxi....

:lol:

About 13 hours and I resisted the overwhelming urge to keep going so yes, they did speak English (or, at least, a Suffolk approximation).

Yours does have a proven record at sea though :lol:

4 years sat in a wet dock meant that it need a complete check over, though.

After a survey and service I'd have taken yours straight out of the showroom and to the nearest lumpy water (based on my proven record at sea, though).

When I first crossed the bar, of the River Ore, on a 75 year old boat that hadn't been to sea for years, I was extremely nervous and the sight of the man with the hat, waving from the CG look out, was very reassuring.

Getting back in was even scarier, the first time, as anyone who has searched for an invisible rivermouth will confirm.

The chart said it was there, the GPS said it was there but I coudn't see it.

Sounds like you have taken a very sensible approach to the coming offshore trips and done all the preparation neccessary. The last hurdle now is doing it! Go for it!

One word of warning though, the inland waterways may seem very tame after the adventures ahead of you :lol:

Roger

Thats our worry.

4 years sat in a wet dock meant that it need a complete check over, though.

After a survey and service I'd have taken yours straight out of the showroom and to the nearest lumpy water (based on my proven record at sea, though).

When I first crossed the bar, of the River Ore, on a 75 year old boat that hadn't been to sea for years, I was extremely nervous and the sight of the man with the hat, waving from the CG look out, was very reassuring.

Getting back in was even scarier, the first time, as anyone who has searched for an invisible rivermouth will confirm.

The chart said it was there, the GPS said it was there but I coudn't see it.

Can we borrow you at some point? :lol:

Can we borrow you at some point? :lol:

It would be a pleasure if it is ever convenient, to go for a spin on your boat but it sounds like you have made all the necessary preparations, for your maiden voyage, including taking along experienced friends.

Far better than my maiden voyage, in my first boat, which soon taught me the value of the RYA courses.

Phylis, if you are going offshore are you prepared for the Mal de mare? Sea sickness can be very debilitating.

I would also suggest the use of life jackets (not bouyancy aids) and a harness for whenever anyone steps outside the cockpit as it is very easy in a swell to go over the side. Also consider if this does happen how are you going to get the person in the water back on the boat.

Good to see you have RYA Coastal Skipper qualification. You should have covered "man overboard" drill on this course.

You will have fun at sea. I must admit after many, many years sailing offshore the cut does seem a little tame at times but it is still boating and I love anything that floats.