Mooring Costs

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

If fear of being accused of 'grave digging' an old thread. (This meant something else when I was an active lad about town!!!!) I thought I would just mention that I have,today, received our annual letter from the mooring and with it notification that there is an increase of 2p per foot per week. An increase of £57.00 per year. About 3%.

To be fair, we haven't suffered an increase for the past two years, One year was absorbed by the reduction of the VAT, but it's more money to find.

Anyone else had increases this year?

Martyn

If fear of being accused of 'grave digging' an old thread. (This meant something else when I was an active lad about town!!!!) I thought I would just mention that I have,today, received our annual letter from the mooring and with it notification that there is an increase of 2p per foot per week. An increase of £57.00 per year. About 3%.

To be fair, we haven't suffered an increase for the past two years, One year was absorbed by the reduction of the VAT, but it's more money to find.

Martyn

£1 per foot per year, same as last year

£1 per foot per year, same as last year

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you get a narrow boat there? £62 per annum would be an absolute bargain!

Martyn

Only the VAT going back on, but as the marina is practically full now, it is surely only a matter of time...

:lol:;) ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

It has gone up from £25 per foot to £27 per foot, yes narrowboats are there but the piers are short! (70' on a 30' pier!)

Still reasonable though and it's probably as near to home as we can get on a waterway that goes somewhere and does not hold the prohibitive prices of the Thames

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Only the VAT going back on, but as the marina is practically full now, it is surely only a matter of time...

I think he means an increase of a £1 per foot per annum on the old rate. Otherwise I shall be right behind you in the que! :lol:

Our present Marina didn't put up their rates this year and in fact we negotiated a decrease on our boat. There is quite a bit of mooring competition in the area so it seems prices are negotiable.

Not doing very well today am I? :lol:

£25 in 2008

£26 in 2009

£27 in 2010

Sounds rather like our former marina then where slapping on 4 or 5% each year seemed "standard" irrespective of inflation, the RPI, or any other economic measure.

Not quite matched by my laST annual pensions increase of just 0.9%, unfortunately.

Frankly Martyn appears to have fared better than many of us in recent years, but one question, Martyn....

Is that 3% PLUS an extra 2.5% on VAT, or 3% overall ? If the latter, and you don't have to find the VAT, it's hardly any extra income to the moorings owner at all, is it ?

We moor at the same Oxfordshire location as Mr. Watch (and indeed as another forum member) and I had e-mail notification of this increase last week. Bearing in mind that this is the first increase in fees for two pr three years (although we have been there only since July 2009) , I find an increase of under £1 a week (our boat is a 45-footer) most reasonable. Of course I would rather have had no increase, but as that fat joke bank manager says on the TV advert, "It doesn't work like that". I'm sure that the landlord's expenses have gone up too.

Is that 3% PLUS an extra 2.5% on VAT, or 3% overall ? If the latter, and you don't have to find the VAT, it's hardly any extra income to the moorings owner at all, is it ?

It's all inclusive of VAT. So in hindsight we haven't been punished too much. We didn't get a reduction nor an increase last year, so effectively we didn't see the 2.5% VAT saving.

Still have to find the 'little extra' though.

Martyn

It's all inclusive of VAT. So in hindsight we haven't been punished too much. We didn't get a reduction nor an increase last year, so effectively we didn't see the 2.5% VAT saving.

Still have to find the 'little extra' though.

Martyn

You are getting off very lightly, at the moment - trust me!

You are getting off very lightly, at the moment - trust me!

I do, I do!

Don't get me wrong, happy where we are as I and others have said in the past. just don't like have additional costs thrust upon my finances.

By the way Alan, are you happier now you have moved from the marina location, are you 'on-line' now?

In our case it was never going to make FINANCIAL sense to move the boat to that Oxfordshire location - after all, we had been mooring totally free of charge at the end of our garden prior to moving. But the quality of our boating life has improved tremendously in the last six months (we carried on taking 'Trojan' out until December) so I feel that the outlay is worth it. If or when I ever feel that it's no longer worth it, back the boat goes to the EOG mooring, but I don't foresee that happening any time soon.

In our case it was never going to make FINANCIAL sense to move the boat to that Oxfordshire location - after all, we had been mooring totally free of charge at the end of our garden prior to moving. But the quality of our boating life has improved tremendously in the last six months (we carried on taking 'Trojan' out until December) so I feel that the outlay is worth it. If or when I ever feel that it's no longer worth it, back the boat goes to the EOG mooring, but I don't foresee that happening any time soon.
Honestly Athy, really pleased to hear that.

Martyn

2.5% increase (VAT increase) although i dont remember it going down 2.5% with the VAT reduction :lol:

Mine did go down last year,I pay in July, with the drop in VAT. But it tends to go up a bit each year but still the cheapest I can find in the area.

I pay a farmer for my mooring. BW are nagging him to increase his fees as he's so much cheaper than any of their moorings..

[/q

I am on a farmers mooring, I pay him, I pay my licence and I pay for a mooring licence. If I were to be in a Marina would I still have to pay BW for the mooring licence? It is all very costly when added up.