buying a new pole and gangplank

whatkathydid

Featured Posts

Any ideas where to source one from?

Ours came from an engineering material supplier.

Most metal stockists should have one, its just a piece of suitable seam welded 50mm OD tube of around 2mm wall thickness (keep meaning to measure it, but its around 2mm i think, which seams about right).

Its then got a wooden plug in each end, rounded plug to push on one end, and a 50*80mm tapored block on the other. Bit of sprayfoam to keep the wet out.

About 12 years on, after some abuse icebreaking, the plugs are due for renewal so i'll make sure i'll measure the wall thickness while im at it.

Daniel

I've heard, scaffolding suppliers have them, I've been coveting our neighbours one for several years.

An aluminium scaffold pole of a long enough length would be seriously heavy to try and use as a boat pole, I think.

Even though ali is a light metal, wherever you source it, it would need to have a wall thickness a lot less than a scaffold pole, I'd say,

(Alan, who in his dafter days, did actually once transport a 20 foot scaffold pole from Luton to Hemel Hempstead strapped to the top of an MG Midget :lol: ).

Ah but if I ever found myself canal boating, and regularly needed a plank of much over 5 feet, I'd almost certainly consider switching to a more sensible, shallow draughted boat!

Sorry, couldn't resist, (where's Graham!).

In practice, although we have troubled to obtain a plank, in the past, I can only think of two occasions when we have ever used it - OK, I know there are waterways where you can't survive without one, but we don't seem to have encountered it yet, (I'm sure we will!).

Similarly if the pole gets used more than once or twice a year, I'd be surprised!

So far I haven't used our plank other than to test it!

The pole is a different story. It is used most times we return to the marina. The access into our berth is a bit tight (we have to go between other moored boats) and it's always windy across the boat in one direction or the other. We reverse in so someone at the front to either keep the fore end from being pushed too far or encourage it round is more accurate and saves time and temper! :lol:

It's so long since we've had the "Ash versus Pine" debate that it almost feels fresh :lol:

It seems to be going much the same way as it did before

Richard

Punt poles, no-one has mentioned them yet...

An aluminium scaffold pole of a long enough length would be seriously heavy to try and use as a boat pole, I think.

Even though ali is a light metal, wherever you source it, it would need to have a wall thickness a lot less than a scaffold pole, I'd say,

(Alan, who in his dafter days, did actually once transport a 20 foot scaffold pole from Luton to Hemel Hempstead strapped to the top of an MG Midget :lol: ).

A 2"x10SWG (0.128" or 3.25mm wall thicness) weighs 1.36kg a metre, so a 4metre pole with end caps will weigh about 5.5 kg which I guess is not much different from a 2" Ash pole. Sorry about the mixed measurements, but complete metrification does not seem to have reached all of the enginering trade.

Edited by David Schweizer

A 2"x10SWG (0.128") weighs 1.36kg a metre, so a 4metre pole with end caps will weigh about 5.5 kg which I guess is not much different from a 2" Ash pole. Sorry about the mixed measurements, bu metrification does not seem to have reached all of the enginering trade.

This site has Ash at 670 KG per cubic metre. Can't be bothered to do the sums...

Richard

Of go on then. 5.26Kg

Edited by RLWP

Here we go again, bannister rail is ok for end load but not very good with side load i.e. levering etc. but if you use it properly and with thought it is very handy it being light. MOT won't use the ash one because it's too heavy and because of that not safe, if she needs to put some weight behind it then she uses the short ash one.

Prefer ally if I could find one.

If you use a boat shaft/pole /quant properly then there is often quite a lot of side load being exerted.

An excellent example of this can be found on page 67 of Robert Longden and Sonia Rolt's "A Canal People".

The boat shaft is a wooden tool and there is a very good reason why Ash is used for tools and their handles and Pine isn't.

I have a friend who made a nice big hole, in that flappy bit of skin, between thumb and forefinger, when his pine bannister boat pole snapped.

The fact that he was lucky he wasn't putting his shoulder into the push, when it went, in no way diminished the pain.

Ouch! that smarts just thinking about it! :lol:

I think I have described this before but...

When bowhauling Tawny Owl last May, the crew in the bow decided to fend her away from the bank with the pole. Unfortunately they got the handle hooked up in the corner of the roof overhang. So the pole was firm against the ground and stuck in a corner of the boat, with the boat moving forward.

The pole bent into a lovely curve at head height before the boat moved away from the bank. If it had split, I'm not sure which of the crews faces it would have gone through...

Richard

Ash poles aren't particularly expensive.

Would tapered ash be better? save a vital pound or two, the further away from user the more the effect of weight saved. If you get my drift.

Possibly but I imagine machining a taper, over that length, would make it prohibitively expensive.

Possibly but I imagine machining a taper, over that length, would make it prohibitively expensive.

I imagine it would be expensive. You would also really want a taper from both ends that meets in the middle as that is where you would want most of the strength to be if bending the pole at all. So sort of elongated cigar shape.

A 2"x10SWG (0.128" or 3.25mm wall thicness) weighs 1.36kg a metre, so a 4metre pole with end caps will weigh about 5.5 kg which I guess is not much different from a 2" Ash pole.

Sounds reasonable, (though I haven't done the sums!), if long Aluminium tubes are manufactured for scaffold purpose, and available with a wall thickness of only 3.25mm - I didn't realise that was the case.

Certainly what I have purchased in the past was 4mm wall thickness, (there's a 6 metre length still near buried in the garden somewhere), and my view is that a suitable length of that would take some man-handling, particularly as I'd favour a pole no less than 5 metres, if you want to be able to use it into a muddy canal bottom, from the boat roof.

Wikipedia, (OK not always totally accurate!), quotes standard aluminium scaffold tubes at 1.7 kg per metre, but does't say for what wall thickness - that sounds broadly in line with your number, if you are talking 3.25 mm and they are talking 4mm.

So a 5 metre pole at the "Wiki" specification would weigh in at 8.5 kilos or nearly 19 pounds. I'd struggle with that, I think.

I think we have someone on the forum who either has been or is involved in scaffolding - they could probably give chapter and verse on what different types of aluminium pole meet any statutory requirements.

I'll therefore modify my statement then to say if you can buy suitable aluminium tube, (for any quoted purpose), of not much over 3mm wall thickness, it should be OK, but to be aware that some scaffold poles are significantly heavier gauge than this, and may prove too heavy unless you are Superman.

They are also bloody cold on the hands on a day like today - if I had to pole a boat today, I'd much rather be using a wooden one!

Another one of Alan's theories blown sky high. Just keep hanging on to the Bowler hat Alan !! :lol:

Possibly.....

To save me searching, can you please post a link to 3.25 mm wall thickness alloy scaffold pole sales, sold in a suitable length.

I still have more than a gut feel that the lion's share of "real" scaffolding is in a thicker wall than that, in which case I wasn't wrong, as a general answer!

Punt poles, no-one has mentioned them yet...

I've seen a few floating past in floods in the past, but I've never been quick enough with the grapnel to get them out. They're worth having, too; decent aluminium, not too heavy, with ends so they float...

Very expensive to buy new, though.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Sounds reasonable, (though I haven't done the sums!), if long Aluminium tubes are manufactured for scaffold purpose, and available with a wall thickness of only 3.25mm - I didn't realise that was the case.

It is sold in a wide range of wall thicknesses from 1/16" to 1/2"

Certainly what I have purchased in the past was 4mm wall thickness, (there's a 6 metre length still near buried in the garden somewhere), and my view is that a suitable length of that would take some man-handling, particularly as I'd favour a pole no less than 5 metres, if you want to be able to use it into a muddy canal bottom, from the boat roof.

Wikipedia, (OK not always totally accurate!), quotes standard aluminium scaffold tubes at 1.7 kg per metre, but does't say for what wall thickness - that sounds broadly in line with your number, if you are talking 3.25 mm and they are talking 4mm.

As far as know standard Aluminium scaffold pole is 48.3 mm x 4.47 mm and weighs 1.668 per metre so that must be the same stuff - just a tad over 1 7/8" diameter.

So a 5 metre pole at the "Wiki" specification would weigh in at 8.5 kilos or nearly 19 pounds. I'd struggle with that, I think.

I think we have someone on the forum who either has been or is involved in scaffolding - they could probably give chapter and verse on what different types of aluminium pole meet any statutory requirements.

I'll therefore modify my statement then to say if you can buy suitable aluminium tube, (for any quoted purpose), of not much over 3mm wall thickness, it should be OK, but to be aware that some scaffold poles are significantly heavier gauge than this, and may prove too heavy unless you are Superman.

They are also bloody cold on the hands on a day like today - if I had to pole a boat today, I'd much rather be using a wooden one!

Possibly.....

To save me searching, can you please post a link to 3.25 mm wall thickness alloy scaffold pole sales, sold in a suitable length.

Here:- http://www.smithmetal.com/products/Aluminium.htm Youir nearest stockists are either Tottenham Court Road, or Biggleswade but there must be other non ferrous stickist nearer you. There are no prices on the website as you have to phone or email for a quote, but I am planning to contact the Bristol branch for a price on the same size so can let you know their answer.

I still have more than a gut feel that the lion's share of "real" scaffolding is in a thicker wall than that, in which case I wasn't wrong, as a general answer!

Edited by David Schweizer

Just one observation, about pole weights.

Swmbo can lift, handle and manoeuvre a 14' Ash pole but she never really had the strength to get the motor free, when it was properly aground so what's the point of having a lighter one?

Edited by carlt

What about investing in a nice shiny hydraulic b*wthr*ster!

Before I get me coat though, Ellen says you lot are lightweights, she manages a fifteen foot ash pole with ease and she is 5'1" and weighs less than 8st. It's how you handle it that make a difference, like so much in life.

Edited by wrigglefingers

What about investing in a nice shiny ... (sniped to removed blasphemous comments)

Before I get me coat though, Ellen says you lot are lightweights, she manages a fifteen foot ash pole with ease and she is 5'1" and weighs less than 8st. It's how you handle it that make a difference, like so much in life.

But yes, similarly, Sarah who is around 5'8 or so can move emilyannes aluminum pole around with easy, as well as it being stong enough to give a good shove when we're run aground in the middle of a pound again. Which ultimately is when you really really need a pole.

Im clearly going to have a take a set of scales and some verniers to the boat next time and get our pole measured up.

Daniel

Does the same apply to the boat itself ?

Sort that out, and your daughter might have less need for the 15 foot ash pole!

(Sorry - very naughty of me, but couldn't resist!. :lol: )