Boat security

Tom Paterson

Featured Posts

What precautions should we take?

Has anyone here been burgled?

How could it have been avoided??

Does it happen alot???

South leeds where I currently live isn't the most crime free area by any means but the barge owners I've spoken to haven't had any problems of this nature.

Is it more common in certain areas?

Does it happen alot???

South leeds where I currently live isn't the most crime free area by any means but the barge owners I've spoken to haven't had any problems of this nature.

Hi Again

Not really a problem but see Thread - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26483 Bandit country

Alex

Its very difficult to generalise and the canals aren't crime free.

However, generally speaking, boats in marinas and on residential linear moorings are probably safer than most housing estates.

Leaving valuables on show and easy access for burglars is always a temptation, whether on land or water.

Does it happen alot???

No it's not.

Sh-t happens everywhere but is very rare.

Don't have nightmares.

If somebody wants to go out of their way and specifically break into your boat there's not a lot you can do to stop it, you can only make your boat more secure than the ones around you so you don't get targeted.

Luckily crime on the waterways is rare. However as Carl says it can happen at any time and anywhere.

There are a few precautions you can take, such as not leaving anything of value on display (easier said than done when you have a few grands worth of nav gear screwed to the dash :lol: ), fitting secure locks and chosing moorings carefully.

Personally i wouldnt get hung up about it :lol:

Obviously, don't leave valuables on display. My strategy, which many - including my nearest and dearest - disagree with, is to leave the curtains open so that people can see there's nothing valuable, rather than shut them and let people think there is.

My boat was broken into in Huddersfield, having been there without any trouble on a towpath mooring right in the middle of town, for over a year. What would have prevented it? Either having bars on the windows or portholes. I considered fitting window bars but never got round to it. Our next boat did have portholes, but chosen entirely for aesthetic reasons rather than security considerations.

Nothing was stolen, because there was nothing on board to steal, even though I was living on it at the time.

and chosing moorings carefully.

I don't think it's possible to avoid a break in by doing this. It is such a rare event that it is impossible to predict where it will happen.

I don't think it's possible to avoid a break in by doing this. It is such a rare event that it is impossible to predict where it will happen.

That is of course true.

I was steering towards popular moorings spots with fellow boaters around. (And thats not to say crime doesnt occur at these spots either). Making your own judgement of wether you think it safe to leave the boat unattended in a given spot is the best bet.

Now is a favourite time of year for break in's. The tow paths are quieter with not so many walkers and fishermen. Boat traffic is also quiet.

There have been a couple of break in's round these parts over the last few weeks. Nothing taken from the boats. It would be fair to say that the would be thieves picked easy targets - i.e. the boats were not the most secure in the first place

I always take a pragmatic approach to security. If you make it more difficult to break in to your boat than the one next door, the chances are they will break in to your neighbours and leave yours alone.

That is of course true.

I was steering towards popular moorings spots with fellow boaters around. (And thats not to say crime doesnt occur at these spots either). Making your own judgement of wether you think it safe to leave the boat unattended in a given spot is the best bet.

So very true. We spent a night in so-called Bandit Country just outside Birmingham a few weeks ago when we had some engine trouble. The only person who came anywhere near us asked us if we needed any help and told us where the nearest motor factors was should we need any engine bits. However the very first day my dad got his boat, it was broken into on popular moorings in Nantwich. There was a rather large group of us having a BBQ about 100m down the towath but it didn't stop the little darlings nicking all the wine and a fire extinguisher, among other things.

If you are a livaboard the risk of a break in to your boat is reduced greatly but break ins to cars parked all the time in canal side car parks become a way of life IME, swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Paul

I was broken into once whilst I was asleep on board, moored on an offside mooring which I considered to be a safe place. just goes to show it can happen anywhere

I always take a pragmatic approach to security. If you make it more difficult to break in to your boat than the one next door, the chances are they will break in to your neighbours and leave yours alone.

I'm with you on this one - theives will always go for the easy target.

Living where I do you learn very quickly - lock it or lose it!!!

The fact that a barge is just a big floating metal box should make them pretty secure in the first place.

Windows and wooden doors are easily broken so I'd be tempted to have plexiglass windows and steel doors.

You have to think like a theif - If you were locked out, how would you get in?

Good read that!!!

I just don't want to become a victim by missing something obvious like a decent lock or leaving something of value on display.

Alot of boats seem to use padlocks, I would try and see if possible to avoid these as there very vunrable, a mortise type lock I would prefer.

A closed padlock proclaims to the world that the boat is unoccupied. An open one says the opposite, so fit a mortice lock and leave padlock on in open position.

Ahem! Health & Safety here, sorry, opened padlocks left on the outside are an emergency exit risk - you may find yourself locked in!

Ahem! Health & Safety here, sorry, opened padlocks left on the outside are an emergency exit risk - you may find yourself locked in!

Ok what I should have said is a closed padlock in an open hasp, if accidental locking is a worry then fill padlock with superglue in closed position but with hasp open to prevent it being locked.

When we pass some of our friends boats we sometimes check their padlock first to see if they are in. Obvious really, if we do it then thieves probably do.

Edited by nb Innisfree

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know where to get several padlocks all that use the same key?

Abloy disc locks which are the most difficult if not impossible to break are available with the same key.

i couldn't find an easy Google link but there are several Abloy dealers offering same key service.

Just realised that they are not called disc locks (that's something different) but that's what they look like - a palm sized disc where the bar rotates.

whilst wilfing i came across the wonderful http://toool.nl/

oh the internet is a much wondrous place

I've always thought these great;

http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Abus-23-70-.../abuka45169.htm

and keyed alike

but see this;

and quake

Edited by Chris Pink

Abloy disc locks which are the most difficult if not impossible to break are available with the same key.

i couldn't find an easy Google link but there are several Abloy dealers offering same key service.

brilliant - thanks!