Sea going boat terminology

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Oh and i was going to try them out this weekend :lol:

You dont have to but you can if you want to

I could wear a captains hat with gold braid, a pink tu-tu and diving boots while boating, but I'd rather not

Richard

Very true!

This is an absolutely astounding revelation Dave. Do you now accept that COLREGS have no bearing on the navigation of Inland Waterways despite all of your vitriolic argument to the contrary previously?

This is an absolutely astounding revelation Dave. Do you now accept that COLREGS have no bearing on the navigation of Inland Waterways despite all of your vitriolic argument to the contrary previously?

No.

I contend that colregs hold sway in any case where BW bye-laws are silent, but that for most practical purposes BW bye-laws are not silent.

No.

I contend that colregs hold sway in any case where BW bye-laws are silent, but that for most practical purposes BW bye-laws are not silent.

Sounds to me like a total capitulation on the scale of legendary 'Lime Green Boat' affair. I wish you wouldn't contend things so regularly, you dont KNOW any better than the next man, so why behave as if you do. There is a chance that someone will take your psudo-legal piffle for fact one day. You really should have a disclaimer at the bottom of your posts to alert the unwary of your total lack of legal qualifications or PI insurance, or indeed evidence of your legal competance and right to Practice, if that is the case.

agreed.

Bradshaw's 1904 doesn't make any reference to nautical terms in the Glossary, it is clear the canals then had a language, indeed several languages, of their own.

The steerer of a Cuckoo, going from Wales to Rhodesia, wouldn't have known what you were on about with your port and starboard, a little further north the tug master from Goole would not know either, but he'd know what a Jebus was, While the wherry man of the Broads would quant or call for a horse marine, and he wouldn't say port and starboard either.

Think you would have to be going back a long way as I know a couple of wherry skippers and port and starboard are most certainly in their vocabulary. And while quant poles are still used nobody can remember the term "horse marine" probably because we have no towpaths here, only either wooded banks or very boggy reed beds.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Sounds to me like a total capitulation on the scale of legendary 'Lime Green Boat' affair. I wish you wouldn't contend things so regularly, you dont KNOW any better than the next man, so why behave as if you do. There is a chance that someone will take your psudo-legal piffle for fact one day. You really should have a disclaimer at the bottom of your posts to alert the unwary of your total lack of legal qualifications or PI insurance, or indeed evidence of your legal competance and right to Practice, if that is the case.

The fact that your miniscule brain is incapable of understanding complex answers is no concern of mine.

Now, why don't you go and sit in the corner and play with your crayons.

No.

I am biased as I used to hold a foreign-going masters certificate and it is difficult to expunge the coll regs from your mind when on any water so does that excuse me from agreeing with mayalld?

Is that correct? Not doubting you, but the only reference to "vessel under oars" in Colregs that I know of is where it says they should have a torch at night to wave as a magic token to stop them getting run down (or something similar). The regs do say that motor driven craft give way to those under sail though.

The CEVNI rules used on the continent say that in the case of small craft (under 20m) among themselves, motor driven craft give way to craft under oars, and each of these give way to sailing craft. On the other hand all of these little boats give way to a self-propelled vessel of 20m or more. Perhaps it is as well that the CEVNI rules are not applicable in the UK or on the evidence of this thread we'd be talking of Chaos Rules.

It's half right. Power vessels would have to give way to oars, but not sailing vessels (unless a maneuvering situation arose).

The order of precedence runs

Not Under Command

Restricted in Ability to Maneuver

Constrained by Draught

Engaged in Fishing

Un-powered Vessels (Sail, oars)

Powered Vessels

Sea-Planes

Wigs (Until they crash)

The fact that your miniscule brain is incapable of understanding complex answers is no concern of mine.

Now, why don't you go and sit in the corner and play with your crayons.

Yus Me'Lud!! :lol:

Think you would have to be going back a long way as I know a couple of wherry skippers and port and starboard are most certainly in their vocabulary. And while quant poles are still used nobody can remember the term "horse marine" probably because we have no towpaths here, only either wooded banks or very boggy reed beds.

Phil

Apologies, I got the wrong bit of the network, Horse Marines were in Yorkshire.

The Wherry Man would be more interested in whether the water was hane, is that still in use? He'd also always call at a staithe rather than a wharf

On another debate, "wide boat" is ofa a gauge intermediate to that of a narrow boat and a barge.

I'm not trying to be rude about it, but the fact a term is in use in 2009 is really no indication the same terms were used in 1904, your wherry skippers can't be THAT old!

It's half right. Power vessels would have to give way to oars, but not sailing vessels (unless a maneuvering situation arose).

Not Under Command

Constrained by Draught

Engaged in Fishing

Powered Vessels

Sea-Planes

Wigs (Until they crash)

I admit that sail giving way to oars is not specifically mentioned in COLREGS (it is definitely mentioned in Broads Authority Byelaws, which are otherwise very similar to COLREGS, which is where my confusion arose). Having said that, if you actually read COLREGS they don't talk about powered or unpowered vessels - they refer to powered vessels and vessels under sail, with no mention of any other option.

In practice, in open water any human powered vessel is likely to be restricted in her ability to maneuvre when compared to a vessel under sail or power. In a confined channel the situation is likely to be reversed, and there is a specific rule stating that vessels under 20m (or sailing vessels) shall not impede the passage of a vessel restricted to a narrow channel or fairway.

Not Under Command

Constrained by Draught

Engaged in Fishing

Powered Vessels

Sea-Planes

Wigs (Until they crash)

???

Not Under Command

Constrained by Draught

Engaged in Fishing

Powered Vessels

Sea-Planes

Wigs (Until they crash)

CEVNI only I know but:

On the other hand all of these little boats give way to a self-propelled vessel of 20m or more.

Get out of my way you plebs, not only am I longer than 20m, but usually restricted by draft! Muhahahah! :lol:

Seriously though, I know that Humber Keels have to give way to the commercial craft on the Humber, does the 20m rule have an equivelent in the UK?

Mike

(Master, Motor Vessel Victoria)

Apologies, I got the wrong bit of the network, Horse Marines were in Yorkshire.

The Wherry Man would be more interested in whether the water was hane, is that still in use? He'd also always call at a staithe rather than a wharf

On another debate, "wide boat" is ofa a gauge intermediate to that of a narrow boat and a barge.

I'm not trying to be rude about it, but the fact a term is in use in 2009 is really no indication the same terms were used in 1904, your wherry skippers can't be THAT old!

The term "hane" is no longer used as far as I am aware but "staith" most certainly is in common use. And as for wherry skippers, the oldest I know is in his eighties, at one time lived on the trading wherry Olive while waiting for a house to be built.

Phil

This will probably get me in trouble with purists, but I have as much trouble with the 'proper' names for bits of narrowboats as I do with some of the imported terminology. On a recent trip along the Thames a fellow new NBT member and I decided that some of the terms we'd been expected to remember were potentially made up so we created our own. I should say we'd got to the giggly stage in the pub when we did this:

Moppity Hole: Water intake, requires silt and leaves cleaning off with a mop about every five minutes on shallow canals.

Moppity Stoppity Valve: Turns off the water from the Moppity Hole.

Draggit Pin: Where the horses rope used to go.

Cordwangles: (With aplogies to Rambling Sid Rumpo) Used to hold the sheets on a narrowboat. For the yachties, a sheet is not a rope.

Clattery Thing: Mechanical device that seems to put most effort into producing great clods of carbon, the rest going to propel the boat.

Fluppet Lever: Stops the Clattery Thing, which goes fluppet, fluppet, fluppet as it slows down.

Greater and Lesser Bandypipes: Chimneys.

Cants: If your from East London, someone who pinches a lock from you.

Waggly Stick, Pointy End, Blunt End: all pretty obvious but you don't half get dirty looks when you refer to them.

When I was learning about canals from the boatmen around Wigan, there was t' front end, t' back end, t' bankside and t'other side. You had to remember where you were and which way you were going for the last two.

A deck is a deck is a deck.

A roof is a roof is roof

a floor is a floor is a floor.

A Hull is a Shell is a hull

a bowline is a frontline is a bowline

a sternline is a backrope is a backrope

a cleat is a dolly is a thingy

Who cares what you call em as long as your crew knows what you mean.

And for gods sake rachael...GET THAT BOAT ON THE SEA....then and only then may you make comments on "life on the ocean wave"