Sea going boat terminology

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Dave and I have just been discussing why some sea going boating terms are a used generally about narrow boats while others seem to be - well perhaps OTT!

For example - bow and stern and accepted - and yet we do not remember port and starboard being generally used for a narrow boat until recently. Is that just in our experience?

Some terms have been adopted for narrow boats more recently simply because historic boats never needed them - an original working boat never had a galley for example and certainly did not have room for a dinette!

What about other tems - narrow boats have toilets not "heads" but is the ceiling really a deck head?

What do forum members think is acceptable and what do you think is really a bit pretentious to use on board a ditch crawler?

Dave and I have just been discussing why some sea going boating terms are a used generally about narrow boats while others seem to be - well perhaps OTT!

For example - bow and stern and accepted - and yet we do not remember port and starboard being generally used for a narrow boat until recently. Is that just in our experience?

Some terms have been adopted for narrow boats more recently simply because historic boats never needed them - an original working boat never had a galley for example and certainly did not have room for a dinette!

What about other tems - narrow boats have toilets not "heads" but is the ceiling really a deck head?

What do forum members think is acceptable and what do you think is really a bit pretentious to use on board a ditch crawler?

SINKING transfers I think :lol:

Use what ever you are happy with, as long as all aboard know what any particular term means. By the way the term "Heads" has been banned by SWMBO on our boat

I think the truth is that the modern ditch crawler as very little in common to "proper" boats they are a bit of a oddity, it always amused me that anybody who fancied it can set themselves up as a narrowboat builder/fitter and make it up as they go along while if you tried this in the proper boat world you wouldn't stand a chance of selling a thing.

I suppose it comes down to performance and safety, if it moves it performs and if it sinks you can just wade out!

I think the truth is that the modern ditch crawler as very little in common to "proper" boats they are a bit of a oddity, it always amused me that anybody who fancied it can set themselves up as a narrowboat builder/fitter and make it up as they go along while if you tried this in the proper boat world you wouldn't stand a chance of selling a thing.

I suppose it comes down to performance and safety, if it moves it performs and if it sinks you can just wade out!

A bitter pill :lol:

It's an individual choice, of course but, being a frustrated mariner, I use as many as I can get SWMBO to understand - certainly port & starboard, ahead & astern and "take the helm". "Deck" applies outside but it's still "floor" inside and "head" does not seem right for a narrrowboat "toilet". "Galley" and "kitchen" seem to be interchangeable.

Arthur

As I've said before, ours is a London narrowboat, it has a pointy end and a blunt end and a left side and a right side. We don't take the helm, we drive it. When we 'moor' our terminology is usually something like, 'which bit of bankside shall I crash it into, dear?'

We do however have a galley, but not a saloon, it's called the front cabin.

I have a theory that there's an inverse relationship between the amount of sea-going terminology used and the amount actual canal-boating experience .... and an increased likelihood of wearing a captain's cap .... "cast off fore !! cast off aft ! Haul in them giblets ! Keelhaul the bosun !" :lol:

Edited by Graham!

I have no knowledge of the historical use of terminology but I don't think it necessarily matters what was used in the past. For example, if they didn't use port and starboard in the past then how on earth did anyone know whose left or right someone was referring to? Port and starboard makes reference to the boat so that there can be no misunderstanding.

As I've said before, ours is a London narrowboat, it has a pointy end and a blunt end and a left side and a right side. We don't take the helm, we drive it. When we 'moor' our terminology is usually something like, 'which bit of bankside shall I crash it into, dear?'

We do however have a galley, but not a saloon, it's called the front cabin.

:lol:;)

I have a theory that there's an inverse relationship between the amount of sea-going terminology used and the amount actual canal-boating experience .... and an increased likelihood of wearing a captain's cap .... "cast off fore !! cast off aft ! Haul in them giblets ! Keelhaul the bosun !" :lol:

:lol::lol:

Not to mention..............Rodger the cabin boy!!!!!!!!

I have no knowledge of the historical use of terminology but I don't think it necessarily matters what was used in the past. For example, if they didn't use port and starboard in the past then how on earth did anyone know whose left or right someone was referring to? Port and starboard makes reference to the boat so that there can be no misunderstanding.

hold in - hold out - into the towpath side away from the towpath side

hold in - hold out - into the towpath side away from the towpath side

Chimney side and side-bed side which relate directly to the boat.

(Edit to add for those unfamiliar with traditional back cabins - Chimney Side is the Port side, Side-bed Side is Starboard)

I've used Port & Starboard for many years as terms of reference for boat repairs etc., but to the best of my knowledge they weren't in common use on the working canals.

Referring to an earlier post, the ceiling is the hull or cabin lining (in boat- & ship- building terms) and isn't necessarily above your head :lol:

Tim

Edited by Timleech

There is very little connection between narrowboats and salt water boats.

The origins of both the craft and the people that operated them are different.

Terminology-wise, its not that surprising that the words are mostly also totally different.

However, most people who have canal boats these days know more about boats than they do canal history.

It might only be from crossing the channel on P+O Ferries and watching Titanic several times, but there you go.

So, nautical terms have a habit of creeping in.

Personally, because of my background, I often sub-consciously use port, starboard, astern, deckhead, going below, topsides, etc

but if I get blank looks, I just switch to ceiling, downstairs, upstairs, etc.

I do desist from "speaking like a pirate" days.

In reality, I think it matters little, as long as people communicate effectively when it matters i.e. in potentially dangerous situations.

I also think its equally silly when boaters talk like a working boater from nearly a 100 years ago when they have an ex Alvechurch cruiser stern.

If people want to operate an ex working boat and dress and talk the part, thats up to them.

Whatever floats your boat.

The need to refer to any particular side of the boat would become necessary when requesting repair or service (as on a car near side and off side)

When on board I think would have been rare for anyone not to be within view of the steerer and pointing would often be a better form of communicating than shouting - depending how noisy the engine is and which way the wind is blowing.

As for communicating with other boats - historically there would have been no radios or phones and indded we rarely have any contact with other boats whan cruising unless it is in convoy with friends so I wonder if narrow boats ever communicated with a horn blast like you get with sea going vessels?

I'm pretty sure the phrase "..shipping it green over the gunnels.." isn't meant to apply either.. unless of course your boat is called NB Progress :lol:

Edited by Pete of Ebor

We use a horn to announce our arrival through some bridge holes /blind corners etc, but we notice that hardly anyone else (apart from the community boats and trip boats in Camden) seems to do so.

The guy from Oxley Marine has a very interesting set up on his boat "Tow'd Lass" - he treated us to a rendition the other week - anyone hearing that approaching through a bridge hole of tunnel would be very quick to throw the motor astern -

It is an original set of horns from a Union Pacific train!

I have always understood that the term "heads" is a Royal Navy expreaaion used to describe the Ratings' WC toilets, which had compartment sides of only about 4ft high (apparently to discourage any sexual misbehavior). When one walked into the toilet area all you could see was rows of heads, hence the adoption of the term. For this reason alone, it would be inappropriate for modern Narrowboat toilets to be known as heads.

I have always understood that the term "heads" is a Royal Navy expreaaion used to describe the Ratings' WC toilets, which had compartment sides of only about 4ft high (apparently to discourage any sexual misbehavior). When one walked into the toilet area all you could see was rows of heads, hence the adoption of the term. For this reason alone, it would be inappropriate for modern Narrowboat toilets to be known as heads.

I knew I would learn a few things from this thread!

Thanks David - every day's a school day as they say!