Sat TV Domes

casafeliz82

Featured Posts

Can anyone help with advice regarding TV Satellite reception ? I am trying to ensure good reception of Satellite programmes and am looking for some help from someone who has been successful in getting a good reception.

Nothing worth watching anyway.

Watching satellite TV just makes you post in big blue letters for no reason.

Nothing worth watching anyway.

Watching satellite TV just makes you post in big blue letters for no reason.

:lol::lol:

Only 7 days to go until the Granada area goes fully digital. I am waiting to see if boaters have to use even longer poles ....................

Only 7 days to go until the Granada area goes fully digital.

I think the full changeover is in December, it starts on 4th Nov with the loss of analogue BBC2, the full switchov er is Dec 2.

As I usually get quite decent freeview reception on my wiggly wire aerial in the area I'm not bovvered.

Can anyone help with advice regarding TV Satellite reception ? I am trying to ensure good reception of Satellite programmes and am looking for some help from someone who has been successful in getting a good reception.

Welcome to the forum.

For good satellite reception you need any receiving dish of your choice and a receiver (TV, Sat box).

The only major requirement is a clear view of the sky in the direction of the satellite about south, south, east

Is anyone using equipment they are pleased with?

Is there any model to be avoided?

If so what as I need to buy and the other half doe'snt want to spend a lot of time fiddling around he just wants to switch and and watch.

Cheers

A friend of mine went with one that advertises in Waterways World (sorry I don't know the name of the company).

Anyway he's very happy with the results, but it was hideously expensive!

I think there are two different types of dishes - ones that adjust themselves to find the signal and ones you need to use a signal finder and adjust yourself. The latter models are available very cheaply.

I have to say that the dome on my friend's boat looks a bit silly on his roof.

Edited by blackrose

You CAN get a signal with a cheap dish (from Maplins, etc) and I'm sure some on here will say they get a good signal, but they are not very good in more tricky situations.

Big (as in domestic) dishes are very bad in boat (moving) situations, as are automatic systems, unless you sit very still, without any wind and no-one goes past to disturb the water!

The best solution is a Kerstan dish and these are very good at getting a signal and very tolerant of movement.

With a Freesat box, a good Sat-finder and a bit of practice you can get a picture in about a minute. Dish, 12 volt box and finder cost about £300 from us, with idiots guide to setting it up included free!

If you bring your boat when you buy it I'll even set it up for you . . .

I'll second everything Canal Shop Man says.

Whether you use a cheap system or a multi-thousand pound computerised self-seeking system, you MUST have a clear path in the direction of the satellite; one single tree can completely stop the signal. Two years ago a share-boat with an automatic dish on top moored near to us, and the poor man spent all evening trying to get a signal. The dish was going round and round like a radar system, and he kept looking through our windows in disbelief as we sat there with a perfect picture. If he'd asked, I could have pointed out to him that we had stopped by a gap in the hedge, and our dish pointed through the gap. If he had moved along by 10 feet, his dish would have found a gap too. He would have had to move the wole boat; it is a lot easier if you can move the dish alone (using a suction or magnetic mount).

Several people have found my satellite sundial useful, to find the best place to stop and then to help locate the satellite in the sky. Of course it only works on sunny days, but in conjunction with a satellite finder I can usually reckon to find a signal within 15 seconds.

Thank you, do you have a website?

Bit far to travel (not even sure I could get there on a wide beam) so would need t be a post job.

Cheers

You CAN get a signal with a cheap dish (from Maplins, etc) and I'm sure some on here will say they get a good signal, but they are not very good in more tricky situations.

Big (as in domestic) dishes are very bad in boat (moving) situations, as are automatic systems, unless you sit very still, without any wind and no-one goes past to disturb the water!

The best solution is a Kerstan dish and these are very good at getting a signal and very tolerant of movement.

With a Freesat box, a good Sat-finder and a bit of practice you can get a picture in about a minute. Dish, 12 volt box and finder cost about £300 from us, with idiots guide to setting it up included free!

Big blue letters were used(and I also typed very slowly) as I suspected someone from Hyde would attempt to read the thread and I wanted to make it as easy as possible :lol:

For those who gave advice , Thank you.

See, you can type normally!

If I was typing in big blue letters, I'd do it slowly as well

Why is the Kerstan better than, say, a Maplins/Lidl dish?

As has been said many times on here, depending on what promotions are on you can get dish, freesat box with very adequate signal finder, for anything from £40 and never more than £100.

Once you have the knack 22705 and you have good sight line it takes just seconds and even with these 'cheap' systems picture quality remains very good. If it starts to go a bit then just tweak the dish!

Couldn't get on with the Kerstan dish & finally invested in a Camos Dome.

Had it for 18 months & love it. Once it's found the signal you turn it off -- no more power used or noise.

It's not the most attractive thing on the boat, but it's a talking point.

Tony

Just done a Google on that and have to say that's a neat looking piece of kit - never heard or seen of them before till your post.

Cheers,

I'm fed up with our 'high gain digital aerial' that we've had for a couple of years, reception is not conistant at all as we move around the cut, mostly we dont get very much at all. So Im thinking about trying a satelite system too. If I get one of the cheapie kits what receiver box comes with it? We have freeview built into the TV, do we just cable between the staelite receiver box that comes with the kit to the TV, is this co-ax or scart ? Lastly is the satelite kit/receiver 12v or 240v ?

Thanks for any tips

Les (TV numpty)

I'm fed up with our 'high gain digital aerial' that we've had for a couple of years, reception is not conistant at all as we move around the cut, mostly we dont get very much at all. So Im thinking about trying a satelite system too. If I get one of the cheapie kits what receiver box comes with it? We have freeview built into the TV, do we just cable between the staelite receiver box that comes with the kit to the TV, is this co-ax or scart ? Lastly is the satelite kit/receiver 12v or 240v ?

Thanks for any tips

Les (TV numpty)

We have both, a log periodic aerial with built in amp, mounted on a 3 metre telescopic decorators pole, works a treat in most locations. You will need to use sat tuner for freesat reception, freeview is only on terrestrial. Kits usually have a plug in 230v to 12v adaptor for power. They use coax. We have separate coax for dish which runs into sat box and then scart into tv. Terrestrial goes into PVR and then into TV aerial socket or if you want straight into TV. If you don't mind the inconvenience you can use one coax and plug into aerial or dish as you won't need both at the same time.

Thanks for any tips

Les (TV numpty)

Just buy DVDs of the stuff that you actually enjoy, and give up on broadcast TV